Ryan Dancey

Eltern

First Post
Hey everyone, I'm doing some research with D&D demographics for a newspaper article I'm writing, and I was wondering if anyone could help me track down Ryan Dancey.

The "Adventure Game Industry Market Research Summary" is a valuable set of numbers for me, but it's a little dated, nor is it apparently hosted anywhere offical, like WotC's website. It says it was developed by Ryan Dancey, who was apparently WotC's Vice President at the time. I gather that Dancey's relationship with Wizards was terminated a few years ago, but I can't find much more information than that.

So, does anyone know how I could get ahold of Ryan, and/or if there have been more Adventure Game Research Summary's published for the public. I'm really just looking for more accurate numbers than those collected in 1999 ;)

Thanks for your help!

DaveStebbins

First Post
I believe Charles Ryan, the Category Manager for RPGs at Wizards of the Coast, stated that the RPG market research is conducted anew every year. You might try to contact him to see if Wizards would consider releasing information from a newer version of the data.

-Dave

Since I have no idea how public or private his contact info is, if you want to send me something, I'd be happy to forward it to Ryan.

my first name (at sign) my full name (dot) com.

Eltern

First Post
Thanks, folks. After a lot of searching, I can't find an email for Charles Ryan, so I guess I'll have to call up Wizards for that one. I'm sure -that- will be fun :D

Monte, thanks for your offer. I'll send you an email later this evening.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I think WoTC guards that data rather closely. Since their really the only company (save maybe Games Workshop or WizKids) who have the capital to be able to create it, they tend to hold on to it closely.

Ranes

Adventurer
If you want any historical D&D demographics, I recommend the little gem pointed to by the link below. It contains an interesting summary of similar research carried out by CBS telelvision in the mid-eighties, when D&D and anti-D&D sentiment were at their height. In case you're interested both the book and the CBS report came out in favour of D&D.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0809058405/qid=1118697934/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-9478259-8384043?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Edit: For your purposes, I'd recommend a browse through it at the library.

Last edited:

Andor

First Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant you should contact GAMA to get their survey data.

You can find the 2003 survey here. starting on page 50 of the annual report.

SamhainIA

First Post
you might try info@organizedplay.com
when ryan dancey left WoTC he started a company called organized play to run one of the national campaigns run by wotc through the RPGA (he took over living city) there used to be a lot of information about this but i cant seem to find any at the moment.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases