Thread Recompilation - Places

El Jefe

First Post
This thread is a place to record and compile information from older threads pertaining to the places and locations in Living ENWorld. The plan is to make one post per thread that covers all the place and location information in that thread, and to post commentary and discussion related to that information. As this information is digested, entries in the Atlas and Almanac thread can be updated to create a more richly detailed and consistant world -- Living ENWorld.

El Jefe

First Post
(Tavern) City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn I

This thread started with Creamsteak's description of the Red Dragon Inn, which has been repeated in every subsequent Red Dragon Inn thread:

The Red Dragon Inn is home to a motley sort of people. Located near an incredibly life-like statue of a Great Red Wyrm, rumored to in fact be a petrified dragon. Surrounded by a complex of two taverns and a huge inn with hundreds of rooms of flexible cost, the Red Dragon only irks a small amount of it's costs from the ale and bedding. In fact, most of the profits accumulated at the Red Dragon come from individuals that may never have set foot inside at all.

The Red Dragon is the functioning base of operation of a huge number of adventuresome individuals. Oftentimes a wealthy employer will post an advertisement at the establishment, costing anywhere from nothing for those who need help the most, to hundreds of thousands of gold pieces from kindoms farther away than most people knew the world stretched.

Who sets these prices? The bartender, an infamous brewer by the name of Joe Smith. His reputation is in his bar, and the bar is in his heart. He makes the decision to let the poor and neady post warrants, jobs, and anything else for pennies, while charging absolutely abusive amounts of money for the wealthy to have a similar contract. People pay what he thinks they should pay, and all but those that shouldn't be posting here anyway make the concessions to do so.

This has allowed the bar to grow to it's incredible size. Many a new table was paid for by a simple advertisement. And, in exchange, the Red Dragon is open and often free to it's clients. Drinks of all sorts, wines, ale, milk, and foreign fruits all make their way to the Red Dragon, where anything is possible. The only people not permitted in the Red Dragon are those that offend the barkeep.

Many people tell the stories about the historical figures that have graced the Red Dragon. Many of these stories are told in the stories of bards and the wives tales of the oldest bar maids. The interior is ever changing, some tables being made of common woods, and others being purchased at extreme costs to accomodate the best of heroes and nobles. If someone doesn't like linen bedsheets, oftentimes silk will be imported within the hour to cover those that need it. Of course, this tends to be the path to offending old Joe, but he won't kick you out till your willing to leave on your own.

The dragon's eyes glow at night, acting as a beacon. The street lights on the paths outside allow for an excellent night-time environment. By the time everyone wakes up, they can find a bed of toasted breads, morning pastries, cheeses, eggs, and if they need something special, it only takes a few minutes to make. The Red Dragon is obviously a fine place to spend a night. Of course, the clientel that come her most often are also the same kind of folk that always find themselves on the road, and having a home away from home is a huge reason why they all return here eventually.

The first thing any visitor should do, upon entering the the Red Dragon, is shuffle up to Joe. The barmaids try to ensure that this happens promptly, because Joe can't stand anyone that doesn't say hi at the very least. The second thing Joe does to any visitor, is to get them to shout out their name and any important facts about themselves that others might need to know. Then, third, the entire bar greets the newcomer and gets back to their drinking. It's all just customery, but Joe sure does appreciate it.​

The following points of information are also found in the thread, most pertaining to the Red Dragon Inn itself, but others pertaining to the surrounding area:

• Wolves are allowed in the Red Dragon Inn
  • The dragon outside the Red Dragon Inn is made of stone.
  • The door of the Red Dragon Inn is made of oak.
  • There are stairs leading up from the main room of the Red Dragon Inn. These go to guest rooms on the second floor, and possibly to other places or other floors.
  • There is a door to the rear of the Red Dragon Inn that connects to the outside.
  • A gnome named Tiggle sometimes helps Joe Smith tend the bar at the Red Dragon Inn.
  • A drink called a Shoeless Sleepin Hafling is served at the Red Dragon Inn. In passing, it was mentioned that the Shoeless Sleepin Hafling was blue.
  • Some drinks (or drink ingredients) are stored in a special storage room at the Red Dragon Inn.
  • There once was a kingdom in ENWorld called Medibaria.
  • The Bruinthor mountains are to the east of Orussus.
  • A drink called a Tiggle Teaser is served at the Red Dragon Inn, but only to patrons deemed worthy of a treat.
  • A drink called a Flametail is served at the Red Dragon Inn.
  • One of the more famous drinks served at the Red Dragon Inn is called a Tossed Treant. This is a flaming drink, which includes elven wine, juices, treant seeds, and a stick.
  • There is a hitching post in front of the Red Dragon Inn.
  • A drink called a Nervous Newcomer is served at the Red Dragon Inn.
  • A drink called The Naked Eye is served at the Red Dragon Inn.
  • There is a dartboard at the Red Dragon Inn.
  • A drink called the Lazy Day is served at the Red Dragon Inn.
  • Black Widow Ale is the best ale served at the Red Dragon Inn.
  • There is a storage room in the basement of the Red Dragon Inn, accessible by a trap door behind the bar. Items left by adventurers for sale on consignment are stored there.
  • There are fens south of Orussus, not far from the city.
  • A place called the Vingarius Vinyard is located 20 miles southeast of Orussus.
  • A round trip can be made between Orussus and a town named McNort in "about a week or so".
  • There is a tavern in Rivenblight known as the Green Griffon.
  • An elven wine called Sprite Flight is served at the Red Dragon Inn.
  • A whiskey called Dwarven Hammer is served at the Red Dragon Inn.
  • There are private rooms in the back of the Red Dragon Inn that can be hired for confidential discussions.
  • There is an area in Orussus called the Street of Merchants, where ordinary goods may be bought and sold.
  • A dwarven ale called Rock Crusher is served at the Red Dragon Inn.
  • A drink called a Blue Haze is served at the Red Dragon Inn.

Last edited:

El Jefe

First Post
Discussion - Red Dragon Inn

I was mildly surprised at how much the RDI has evolved over the last 2 years. Most of the location information in that first thread (which was only open about a week) had to do with the RDI, and mostly with the drink list. Not that I have a problem with that, if anything I regret that people aren't bellying up to the bar and ordering a Tossed Treant or a Naked Eye (reportedly, no one has drank more than two Naked Eyes without running outside and taking their clothes off).

HOWEVER, the other details I found fascinating. That the dragon is sculpted (or, gulp, petrified) from stone is not such a big deal, but the fact that there is a seldom-used rear exit, or that stairs lead directly up from the main room to at least some of the guest rooms, or that there's a trap door behind the bar where "adventurer stuff" is kept is. That last bit really helps flesh out the world in my opinion; it adds a great deal of legitimacy to the "RDI For Sale or Trade" thread.

I didn't check that either Medibaria or the Bruinthor Mountains were already on the map. If they aren't, they make nice place names. I'm a little concerned that the area around Orussus isn't nailed down to the extent that we may be having terrain that magically morphs from one adventure to the next. I'd like to see the fens, the Vingarus Vinyard, and the town of McNort either become permanent additions to Living ENWorld, or else dismissed as fantasies or con games played by various NPCs.

Bront

The man with the probe
Yeah, I ran into the locational issues myself in my game (You pointed them out).

I think we need an official cartographer who can edit and fix the map to add major spots as they appear. And perhaps expand the map a bit as well. I got lucky with Covington being just off the map.

LogicsFate

First Post
Bront said:
Yeah, I ran into the locational issues myself in my game (You pointed them out).

I think we need an official cartographer who can edit and fix the map to add major spots as they appear. And perhaps expand the map a bit as well. I got lucky with Covington being just off the map.

Ah that explains it. I spent to much time searchin for it on the map.

As for cartographer, that's a pretty tall order. Is there accually anyone good with maps who would be willing to do it?

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Actualy, having been informed that I was grossly overestimating how fast you guys walk, it's probably closer to 2/3rds of the way between the river crossing and Lathim. Likely almost even with the scale marker (Where the road turns SW).

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
El Jefe said:
[*]A drink called a Shoeless Sleepin Hafling is served at the Red Dragon Inn.

I remember that... that was a long time ago, too. :) You might want to mention that its blue, since you're noting the details on some of the drinks...

We might want to start doing this for other places, too. For instance, several buildings and other interesting locations have been named within the city of Orussus, as well as around it. The vinyards, the monastery of St. Feragon (sp?), and other such places should also be noted and important details listed, to make it easier for DMs to use and players to discuss.

The problem with this will be that players who go to a place already detailed will have this info available to them, but I think most players in LEW are willing to not look at things their characters have no knowledge of.

El Jefe

First Post
GnomeWorks said:
I remember that... that was a long time ago, too. :) You might want to mention that its blue, since you're noting the details on some of the drinks...

I'll doublecheck that it is blue, I have a file that extracts the relevent quotes from the various posts.

GnomeWorks said:
We might want to start doing this for other places, too. For instance, several buildings and other interesting locations have been named within the city of Orussus, as well as around it. The vinyards, the monastery of St. Feragon (sp?), and other such places should also be noted and important details listed, to make it easier for DMs to use and players to discuss.

That's the reason for this thread. I've waded through the first 3 pages of the first Discussion thread (and not surprisingly, not found anything relevant), but didn't get much done on it last night. Rest assured, we'll capture the stuff in Trek to the Vinyard and all the other old adventures. The nice thing is that with this format, if I get hit by a truck tomorrow, someone else can take it up and have a place to post it.

GnomeWorks said:
The problem with this will be that players who go to a place already detailed will have this info available to them, but I think most players in LEW are willing to not look at things their characters have no knowledge of.

Again, that's the reason for this thread...it's a "one stop shop" for GMs looking for geographical information and related world details, and a good resource for mapmakers, as well.

Manzanita

First Post
Thanks for doing all this! You guys are awesome. And, to boot, once you've done all this, you'll be true LEW sages, knowing far more history than the rest of us.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases