Creating Rock Dragons.

Krishnath

First Post
Mortis said:
I would suggest that for the Pyrite dragon, it's breath weapon should not be fire-based just to upset those characters who have prepared themselves to deal with a gold.

'What do you mean acid! I'm wearing my ring of fire resistance...' :D

I guess it's far too late to suggest the Marble Dragon. ;)

How about a concrete breath weapon - a cone of quick drying concrete that basically works like petrification.

Regards,
Mortis

It is never to late to suggest more rock dragons, although we will create the above five first, who is to say that there are not more of them out there, they are afterall a chaotic breed... :D

Mistah J

First Post
More Ideas

Mortis said:
I would suggest that for the Pyrite dragon, it's breath weapon should not be fire-based just to upset those characters who have prepared themselves to deal with a gold.

'What do you mean acid! I'm wearing my ring of fire resistance...' :D

I second this sediment... er.. sentiment.

Also, taking into consideration what we know about sulfur now:

Shade said:
elemental sulfur is odorless. It burns with a blue flame that emits sulfur dioxide, notable for its peculiar suffocating odor.

We could say that the Sulfur Dragon's primary is a fire breath weapon that also poisons (doing Con Damage.. or the nauseated for a number of rounds.. whichever is preferred) and its secondary breath weapon could function like the Miasma spell from Complete Divine, in that it causes suffocation to those who fail their saves.

As for the Slate Dragon, I feel it lends itself to the sharp rock breath weapon that does piercing and slashing damage and that the Granite Dragon's breath weapon could do bludgeoning damage (think boulders..like a landslide). But that might be too many "physical damage" breath weapons for people's liking.

Krishnath

First Post
Suffocating breathweapon. I like that. But one breathweapon that deals physical damage is more than enough. I think it best if we stick with a cold/force combo as the primary breathweapon to the Slate, but we still need a secondary breathweapon for it. Remember, it doesn't have to be related to the rock type.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath said:
Remember, it doesn't have to be related to the rock type.

But it's more fun if it does! ;)

How about making it a play on words...clearing the slate? Functions as mind fog and erase. :]

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
But it's more fun if it does! ;)

How about making it a play on words...clearing the slate? Functions as mind fog and erase. :]
Rather tenuous, I know, but what about a sonic attack, such as fingernails being drawn down a blackboard. :]

Regards,
Mortis

Mortis

First Post
Krishnath said:
Secondary breathweapons usually don't deal damage.
Well then maybe we could have it as the primary breathweapon. How many other dragons have a sonic-based breathweapon?

Or it could have a different effect such as something that amounts to 'silence' in that it prevents spellls with somantic components from working.

Regards,
Mortis

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Mortis said:
Well then maybe we could have it as the primary breathweapon. How many other dragons have a sonic-based breathweapon?

Or it could have a different effect such as something that amounts to 'silence' in that it prevents spellls with somantic components from working.

Regards,
Mortis
Hmm... A silencing breathweapon, I like that idea... :]

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath said:

Here it is:

SRD said:
Erase
Transmutation
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One scroll or two pages
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

Erase removes writings of either magical or mundane nature from a scroll or from one or two pages of paper, parchment, or similar surfaces. With this spell, you can remove explosive runes, a glyph of warding, a sepia snake sigil, or an arcane mark, but not illusory script or a symbol spell. Nonmagical writing is automatically erased if you touch it and no one else is holding it. Otherwise, the chance of erasing nonmagical writing is 90%.

Magic writing must be touched to be erased, and you also must succeed on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against DC 15. (A natural 1 or 2 is always a failure on this check.) If you fail to erase explosive runes, a glyph of warding, or a sepia snake sigil, you accidentally activate that writing instead.

It would be about as annoying to mages as the nightcrawlers "destroy potions" effect. :]

Remove ads