Legends of the Samurai Q&A

Vigilance

Explorer
Hey guys, just wanted to drop a line that the last main book for Legends of the Samurai, the campaign guide, is on the way in a day or two to RPGNow.

If anyone has any questions about this OGL oriental rules set for medieval Japan, I'd be happy to fill them in.

Chuck

yojimbouk

Explorer
Really like what I've read so far of the first two books. I'll be picking up the campaign guide.

My only note is why cold as one of the elements that a Kenza can specialize in? It doesn't seem particularly oriental being neither one of the 5 Chinese elements: Water, Air, Fire, Metal, Wood (as used by Taoist sorcerers like the Onmyoji); or 5 Buddhist elements: Water, Air, Fire, Earth, Void (as used by Miyamoto Musashi in the Book of 5 Rings).

Also, I believe that the prestige class should be named Kensei. Probably, those with better knowledge of Japanese than me will be able to offer a definitive answer.

Jim.

Vigilance

Explorer
Glad you're liking it so far :)

On the Kensei/Kensai you're probably right. Always hard dealing with a language as different from English as that... most of the time there are multiple spellings. I'll try and find out what I can.

On the Kenza, guilty as charged... I took some liberties with his elemental spell spheres - including many that don't appear, such as Magma and Cold and excluding one that does- Void.

The reasons for the changes had a lot to do with trying to find some interesting game effects I hadn't quite seen before. I was going for a feel inspired more by Japanese fiction with the Kenza, including Anime than I was for historical accuracy.

Since my rendition of the "historical" game didn't include magic at all, I decided to go that route with the flashiest of the magicians.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Chuck

Morgenstern

First Post
Hey Charles!

I didn't realize this was one of yours :). That pretty much advances it from "check out at GenCon" to "set aside the money now". I'm guessing the hardcover will include all three books?

Turanil

First Post
When I did read the Ninja class preview, I really thought that it was great work and the best ninja class I know (and I have seen many). However, there are so many d20 supplements out there and so few opportunities to play that... well... :(

yojimbo

First Post
It's d20 Fantasy so it's compatible with D&D3.5 and Rokugan.

However, all the core classes are new (and rather good). Don't expect a feudal Japan campaign setting for OA3E.

James.

Vigilance

Explorer
Morgenstern said:
Hey Charles!

I didn't realize this was one of yours :). That pretty much advances it from "check out at GenCon" to "set aside the money now". I'm guessing the hardcover will include all three books?

Hey thanks :)

Yes the HC will be a compilation of the three PDFs, and I hope you enjoy it

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
Cergorach said:
How compatible is it with OA and the D20 L5R line, mechanics wise?

The Legends books (the first being Legends of Excalibur and now Legends of the Samurai) use some new mechanics, but they are definitely compatible with the books you mention.

Samurai uses an Honor system in place of Alignment, but its pretty easy to convert the classes back to using alignment if you like that sacred cow. For the most part classes with an Honor requirement would convert to "any Lawful" while some of the PrCs like Otokodate, Yojimbo and Kensai would require a LG alignment as these are the "Paladins" of the system.

Samurai uses social class instead of race, with all the PCs being humans of various social castes. However this is easily ignored to be replaced with race, and there's some guidelines for using nonhuman races in the Campaign Guide as well.

Samurai uses spell points instead of spell slots, but maintains the 0-9 spell levels, meaning you can simply use the spell lists provided in the game and cast them with slots instead of points.

Samurai uses its own martial arts system, but since its feat based I think it should work pretty well with those presented on OA.

So there are a few differences, but having converted many adventures to run with Legends of the Samurai, it hasnt posed too much of a problem, in fact now that I've ran the system a few times I can do it on the fly.

Chuck

Remove ads