The Skill Monkey's Skills

Timely Drought

First Post
So I'm itching to play a skill monkey rogue type character. But right now I've got no idea how to go about it. Has anyone sorted out the essential skills a rogue needs to cover a wide variety of situations? From social to athletic and everywhere in between. Which skills need to be maxed? Which are must-haves? Which are situational and which depend on GM style and which are for wilderness, dungeon, or city environments... I need to know it all.

I'm going for a pure or near pure rogue, with some decent social fu, some knowledge skills, some athletic and sneak skills to reach places and scout enemy locations. I'm probably going human and putting my main ability score in intelligence, then dexterity, then charisma.

Turanil

First Post
Bluff, Climb, Knowledge (local), Gather information, Sleight of hands, Spot, Listen, Sense motive, Move silently, Hide in shadows.

Timely Drought

First Post
Turanil said:
Bluff, Climb, Knowledge (local), Gather information, Sleight of hands, Spot, Listen, Sense motive, Move silently, Hide in shadows.
Assuming I can get at least intelligence 16, I should load up on at least 12 skills. Is tumble any use for someone who wouldn't get into melee? I'm wary of climb because of spells and magical items that can do the same much better. Balance looks like one of those funky skills that no one in there right minds would pick despite having an otherwise athletic concept. Intimidate can be picked up by a tank (who probably has nothing better to do with his skills other than filling up prestige class requirements); diplomacy by the bard, cleric or paladin; miscellaneous knowledge by the wizard... I'm not sure what knowledge (local) would be good for that gather information wouldn't pick up.

Use Magic Device is missing from that list, probably the most useful skill ever. Decipher script might be fun for a game with an archeological bent. Disable device is another essential rogue skills to get by traps, along with search. Open lock unless you prefer bashing down doors.

Burglar skills: Climb, Sleight of hand, Spot, Listen, Move silently, Hide, disable device, search, open lock, escape artist.

Other sneaky skills: Forgery, Disguise, Bluff.

Forgery is one of those skills thats only good in a setting with strong bureaucracy, say Eberron if the DM plays up that aspect. Otherwise mostly useless. Disguise is better forgotten to be quickly replaced by a hat of disguise or any of many illusion or transmutation spells. Same for climb with slippers of spider climbing or better yet a cloak of arachnida.

Going for 1 or 2 levels of shadowdancer for HiPS and maybe darkvision. So also picking up perform (dance) 5.

Bluff
disable device
Gather information
Hide
Listen
Move silently
open lock
perform (dance)
search
Sleight of hand
Spot
Use Magic Device

Other essential skills that need to be picked up if the rest of the group doesnt have them:

Diplomacy
Intimidate
Sense motive
Knowledge (dungeoneering)

Other skills that might be good to have:

Knowledge (local) [assuming the campaign stays local]
Tumble (essential for a standard rogue but I'm going for ranged)
Use rope (bondage!!)

Might be worthwhile to pick up skill focus (umd).

Comments? Or even anecdotes on amusing use of skills?

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
It all depends on what you want to do.

Aware rogue: Always good to get at least 2 ranks in initialy, more if your wisdom is low.
Listen
Spot
Search

Classic rogue (Pre 3rd): Some skills may be more important to you than others depending on your intent.
Climb
Disable Device
Open Locks
Decipher Script
Slight of Hand
Forgery
Move Silently
Hide
Use Rope
Use Magical Divice

Performer: For the rogue who likes to show off. Some skills may fit better than others for the concept.
Perform
Slight of Hand
Bluff
Sense Motive
Tumble
Balance
Use Rope

Social Rogue: For the rogue who wants to be socialy capable. High Chr is good for this type.
Bluff
Sense Motive
Diplomacy
Intimidate
Gather Information

Mobile Rogue: If you value moving around
Balance
Jump
Climb
Tumble
Swim
Escape Artist

The Merchant Rogue: Buy and sell things
Bluff
Appraisal
Craft
Diplomacy
Gather Information
Profession
KN: Local

Tinker Rogue: Likes to play with things
Search
Disable Divice
Open Lock
Craft

Spy Rogue: Gather info subtly
Hide
Move Silent
Disguise
Bluff
Listen
Spot
Decipher Script
Gather Info
Slight of Hand

Utilitarian skills: Generaly usefull, sometimes more than others, rarely fit into a catagory directly
Appraise
Use Rope
KN: Local
Profession
Use Magical Divice
Escape Artist

You could expand on this more, and I'm sure I missed a few types. But, when you find the theme of your character, it probably lies in one of those types, and that should give you a good base of the most important skills. Remember, you get a TON of skill points, so there is no reason you can't spare a few stray points to get a skill or two. Keep in mind the ones you can use untrained vs the ones you can't, and go from there. Also, watch out for synergies (Like Balance, Jump, Tumble, or Diplomacy, Bluff, and Sense Motive.

Hope this helps :)

Shadowdancer

First Post
Timely Drought said:
I'm not sure what knowledge (local) would be good for that gather information wouldn't pick up.

If you have K(L), you might already know a needed piece of information. So you don't have to go out and gather the information -- you already know it. Saves you time and money.

Timely Drought

First Post
I'm thinking of relying on goggles of darkvision or something to help me out in the dark so I don't have to pick up the second level of shadowdancer. That way I get 10d6 sneak and an extra special rogue ability.

I was wondering what I should get for skill masteries. Sleight of hand to lift spell pouch components and other stuff during battle sounds good. So does hide to HiPS during combat. Question about HiPS though; can I HiPS as a move action? What should be the third skill mastery? Should I pick move silently to maintain sneakiness at all times?

Timely Drought

First Post
The more I think about it the more use rope looks good. You only need about 5 ranks in it, allowing you to get +10 on your checks with a +2 silk rope and +3 or better dex bonus; thus allowing you to secure a grappling hook at maximum range with a take 10 (50 feet, dc 20). This isn't a skill you would normally use in combat so more seems unnecessary.

Its also more appealing than climb since it allows to do the same, but for the whole party, and also has additional functionality: tying people up. With the +10 automatic bonus for tying people up, a take 10 will insure only the precious few characters with escape artist make it out. Also lets you roleplay all your sick bondage fetishes against the DM's beloved NPCs.

Crothian

First Post
Nothing really needs maxed once you get past say 5th level. Start spreading out so that you arte pretty good at a lot of things.

reveal

Adventurer
Timely Drought said:
So I'm itching to play a skill monkey rogue type character. But right now I've got no idea how to go about it. Has anyone sorted out the essential skills a rogue needs to cover a wide variety of situations? From social to athletic and everywhere in between. Which skills need to be maxed? Which are must-haves? Which are situational and which depend on GM style and which are for wilderness, dungeon, or city environments... I need to know it all.

I'm going for a pure or near pure rogue, with some decent social fu, some knowledge skills, some athletic and sneak skills to reach places and scout enemy locations. I'm probably going human and putting my main ability score in intelligence, then dexterity, then charisma.

Four words: Jack of all Trades. It's a feat from the Complete Adventurer. Essentially, it treats a character as having at least half a rank (.5) in every skill. So bump up the ones mentioned above, I won't remake the list, but even if you don't you can still use anything (except Speak Languages). :D

Remove ads