Age of Worms - Campaign tone?

The_Fan

First Post
I'm going to start running this campaign tonight, and I'm debating on what kind of tone to give it. Obviously, the city is thoroughly corrupt, possibly irredeemably so. Such a corrupt city can be treated several ways:

1) Ankh-Morpork: It is a city that is so comedicly corrupt crime has been unionized. In this version, Balabar Smenk would be played in a way reminiscent of Boss Hogg. Comparisons can easily be drawn between the lake and the Ankh river. The Dizzy Giant is proud of being the most reputable disreputable tavern in town, while the Feral Dog is proud of being the least. The Hungry Gar probably bears culinary resemblence to CMOT Dibbler's fare. Etc.

2) Sin City: It's a city so vile that the Age of Worms might be a godsend, eating out the cancerous filth of this city like maggots on a gangrenous wound. Purple Prose's prostitutes would be played like the Old Town girls. Balabar Smenk is closer to Senator Roarke. This version the lake would play a symbolic role showing how far the city has fallen, a rotting cesspool from which all manner of disease infects the city. Etc.

3) Deadwood: I've heard that this is perhaps the best tone, but I've yet to actually see Deadwood. Any suggestions on how to run it with this tone would be appreciated.

How do you plan to run it?

Mystery Man

First Post
The_Fan said:
3) Deadwood: I've heard that this is perhaps the best tone, but I've yet to actually see Deadwood. Any suggestions on how to run it with this tone would be appreciated.

See if you can find a video store that has the season one DVD to rent. Be prepared for sleep loss. :)

EricNoah

Adventurer
Simmering, festering corruption without the pretense of civilization; NE on the surface, CE underneath (maybe even literally!); a powderkeg just waiting for the spark that only a band of intrepid adventurers can bring.

Though I can rarely pull that kind of thing off; it's usually a little closer to Looney Tunes the way I do things. :D

Jeff Wilder

First Post
EricNoah said:
Simmering, festering corruption without the pretense of civilization; NE on the surface, CE underneath (maybe even literally!)
No way! Swearengen, the worst of the worst, is LE. (I mean, there are definitely NE and CE characters in Deadwood, but most of them answer to Swearengen, so they stay in check.)

The thing I love about Deadwood is exactly the opposite of what you say here ... everyone is very, very careful in choosing their words, even when they contain explosive profanity. It's definitely simmering, but just below a veneer of civility. Even the heroes are capable of explosive, brutal violence ... but even then there's a politeness to it. Remember Bullock's, "Am I going to need my revolvers?"

a powderkeg just waiting for the spark that only a band of intrepid adventurers can bring.
That's definitely true.

To pull off major NPCs in a Deadwood style, imagine being so pissed off that you have to grit your teeth to keep from screaming ... but at the same time everything you say must be almost surrealistically polite. Deadwood is the premiere example of the old saw: "An armed society is a polite society."

Minor NPCs tend to be simpering toadies ... not necessarily stupid, but wholly without balls.

Kestrel

Explorer
Jeff Wilder said:
No way! Swearengen, the worst of the worst, is LE. (I mean, there are definitely NE and CE characters in Deadwood, but most of them answer to Swearengen, so they stay in check.)

I would say Cy Tolliver is worse than Al, but I might be biased because I love Al in the show. Al, although he is definitely evil, has a streak of goodness to him, that shows from time to time. Cy on the other hand, is just plain evil to the core.

I totally agree about the veneer of civility over violence, its what makes the show great. I wish I could pull off that kind of diaglogue in a game, but not sure I could.

Deadwood fits Diamond Lake to a T. Its rustic setting is perfect.

Sin City would fit a more urban setting to me, and you might want to reserve for the future episodes that undoubtedly have a visit to the Free City.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Kestrel said:
I would say Cy Tolliver is worse than Al, but I might be biased because I love Al in the show. Al, although he is definitely evil, has a streak of goodness to him, that shows from time to time. Cy on the other hand, is just plain evil to the core.
I don't think Al shows "goodness," but rather qualities we associate with goodness that in D&D are more associated with "lawful": loyalty, keeping one's word, protecting one's minions, and so on.

I do agree that Cy is, in some respects, more evil than Al -- and Cy is NE, definitely -- but he's just not nearly as good at it as Al. Al is just mind-bogglingly competent ... that's why he and Bullock get along so, uh, well. He respects Bullock's sheer competence (and he sees in Bullock the same things I mentioned earlier about Al).

I totally agree about the veneer of civility over violence, its what makes the show great. I wish I could pull off that kind of diaglogue in a game, but not sure I could.
Nobody could. You can tell they craft that dialogue around a table. (Some of my favorite moments from the show, though, are when dialogue fails the characters ... most notably between Jane and Joanie or Trixie. Jane has been in some amazing scenes.)

The_Fan

First Post
Hrm...so, could you give me an example of how to run, say, the Feral Dog gang in a Deadwood style?

How about Balabar Smenk?

Filge?

Jeff Wilder

First Post
The_Fan said:
Hrm...so, could you give me an example of how to run, say, the Feral Dog gang in a Deadwood style? How about Balabar Smenk? Filge?
I'll be playing the campaign, not running it, so I can't be much help (and should probably stop reading this thread).

Kestrel

Explorer
The_Fan said:
Hrm...so, could you give me an example of how to run, say, the Feral Dog gang in a Deadwood style?

How about Balabar Smenk?

Filge?

Possible Spoilers:

I'm going to watch some episodes this weekend just to get a feel for it. I'll probably just choose characters from the show and use them as examples.

Feral Dog gang: The thieves responsible for the norwiegan family's murder

Balabar Smenk: Either Al or Cy Tolliver. Most likely Al.

Filge: I can't think of any character that fits this guy very well. He's just too plain twisted. The only one I can think of is Woolcott, but even he's not close enough. A better choice would be to borrow from Carnivale and use the guy that made the deathmasks. Very creepy guy.

The_Fan

First Post
Hrm...well, nice advice, but I still havn't seen the show. Can you make it clearer for someone who's never seen it?

(I'm gonna go get it from blockbuster, possibly carnivale as well if they have it, but some help for tonight would be good.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases