I want to go Sailing

mac1504

Explorer
I would like to get recommendations for a good resource or rulebook that covers medieval era naval ships. Mainly I am most concerned about deck plans (maps) and possibly rules on boarding and ship combat. I would like to have a wide range of ships as well (warships, schooners, barques, etc.) I'd prefer a PDF, but I'll take what I can get ;)

Thanks in advance.

Turanil

First Post
Corsairs: d20 Guide to Ships is a PDF for sale (7$) on rpgnow. The only problem is that it deals with 18th century ships (Carribean pirates) rather than truly medieval ships. I don't know the contents of this book (deck plans?).

Of Ships and the Sea is a 5$ PDF of the old AD&D 2e supplement on ships, and is more medieval (at least D&Dish) than 18th century Carribean. It has almost no deck plans.

Last edited:

mac1504

Explorer
Thanks Turanil; I've looked at those two selections over and they just aren't fitting what I need. I was hoping to find basically a pairing of those two books!

Last edited:

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Actually, Corsair does include some deckplans. It also includes rules on boarding and ship combat.

Looking at my copy I see 10-12 different ships.

While you're searching for ship supplies, you may also want to try this free PDF that I wrote:

www.philipjreed.com/downloads/12ship.pdf

If you've got any questions about Corsair or Seafarer's Handbook feel free to ask since I have both.

GMSkarka

Explorer
Turanil said:
Corsairs: d20 Guide to Ships is a PDF for sale (7$) on rpgnow. The only problem is that it deals with 18th century ships (Carribean pirates) rather than truly medieval ships. I don't know the contents of this book (deck plans?).

CORSAIR also has a chapter on adapting the rules to earlier or later time periods, as well as fantasy settings....so it's not exclusively limited to 17th-18th century vessels.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Mongoose Publishing's Book of the Sea is also quite good, and I have found it very useful, in part because the sea combat system is compatible with the Open Mass Combat System Revised that is in Strongholds & Dynasties.

Also good is Seas of Blood, the older version of the system, you can still find it in games stores. The PDF is $16 or so from Drive Thru.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* I am not at all sorry to have Corsair, Book of the Sea, and Seas of Blood[/i]...

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases