Votes: 7 5.4%
  • levels 16 and up

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • other (please specify)

Votes: 6 4.6%

Wolfen Priest

First Post
Another thread here has sparked my interest in this question:

What character levels in D&D consitute your opinion of the "sweet spot" in a campaign, and why?

Be sure to specify whether your vote counts more from a player's perspective, or a DM's.

2WS-Steve

First Post
While I voted for the 7-9 range I think the sweet spot is much wider now, probably something like 3-13 and possibly even up to 15.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
I agree.

I know there are many who say the 3e game is just as playable at 15 as it is at 5, but a 15th level game requires a lot more work and planning to set up. Granted, the system is sound, but as a game I think that's a sign of it breaking up.

KnowTheToe

First Post
I voted 7-9 for the flexability and power that a party of characters can employ. Get a little after 12th lvl and watch out these guys can do almost anything.

Bagpuss

Legend
I voted other...

The Sweet Spot is obviously "your current level +1" otherwise once you reached the best level you would just not bother handing out experience.

I voted for 16+ from both a player's and a DM's viewpoint. It is definitely more work, but the options and resources available to the PCs (and NPCs), and the scope of the challenges facing the characters make each session unpredicable to both the players and DM.

Personally, I enjoy this challenge, both as a DM and as a player.

KDLadage

Explorer
I voted 7-9...

...but I think the range, for me anyway, is the 5-8 range or so -- when characters are powerful, but not invulnerable... even the common man can be a threat at times...

kreynolds

First Post
I think allowing anyone to attain a single level in any class is munchkin. :rolleyes:

Actually, I voted "other". Bagpuss pretty much spoke what was on my mind. I couldn't have said it better.

Last edited:

Wolfen Priest

First Post
I voted for 10-12

I'm a little surprised that the levels are so low; I have a feeling it may be because there are many more gamers who have not played higher levels than those who have.

Within the last six months, I played in a party where we got to about 15th level (highest ever for me), and I was surprised and overjoyed at the level of raw power we had as a party.

It did become problematic however, because the DM liked to railroad us a lot, and we were always able to outsmart him with our spells and items. It ended up where we had to just sort of humor him and 'play along' so that the story could progress. (In short, it felt a little like going through the MM alphabetically.)

As a party, we didn't care about the town we were trying to save anymore; we wanted to wander around the world and see what else we could dig up... The problem was, the DM had a pretty bad imagination, and our characters were way more interesting than the world around them.

But in a good world with a good DM, (heck even in that crumby one) I would say the "sweet spot" is around level 12 or so. It allows for more player creativity.:D

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Re: I voted for 10-12

Wolfen Priest said:
I'm a little surprised that the levels are so low; I have a feeling it may be because there are many more gamers have not played higher levels than those who have.

I can damn near promise you that's why their low. Either that, or some of these people have been seen bashing "munchkins" (in this case, people that play above 10th level) before and they don't want to be seen supporting high level play. Who knows.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases