Just Curious ... Hom many come from AD&D?

Mithril Dragon

First Post
Im brand new to this forum and I was just wondering how many members are "Old School" AD&D players who still play (despite marriage, kids, jobs, bills, etc) and how may started D&D with the 3.5 rules. I personally have been DMing since the mid 80s and I think the new rules are a huge improvement (all nostalgia aside). These days my playing is limited to an annual "game weekend" with my friends who have all gone their separate ways but I am an illustrator who focuses primarily on fantasy and sci-fi art so I still get my "fix" through my art. Anyway, I was just curious, so please respond and let me know what your background is and how RPG games are crammed into your busy (or not) lifestyle.

ElvishBard

First Post
I suppose that I technically started with AD&D, as those were the books my dad had. I read through them and found them cool, and when my friends said they were into D&D I found out they used 3rd edition, so I quickly started using that. I was about 13 when I used AD&D (I really just read the books, didn't play but I knew the rules), and still 13 when I switched to 3rd edition as that was what my friends knew. I am 18 now if anyone wanted to know. :)

It was funny how I would somtimes confuse rules and abilites scores and my friends thought I was an idiot, but now I am considered the one with the best grasp on the rules, and the best DM (which is really their way of saying that I not going to ever play as I will always be the DM).

Chupacabra

First Post
I started gaming with AD&D back in 1980, at age 10. Gamed a bit in high school, more in college, not at all in graduate school (although I continued to build up my gaming library) and now that I am a working stiff (trial attorney) I manage to get in a regular one-night a week gaming session with some friends. I'm married and have a 13-month old -- yet my wife is VERY understanding about letting me have "Game Night" all to my self once a week. She figures I'm not out at some bar, I'm not at a strip club, I'm just sitting around the table at my buddy's house laughing and blowing off steam. All good stuff.

Right about now, 3-5 hours gaming once a week is about all I can manage, and about all I want. Don't want to be missing my child's formative years and all.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Started with a strange hybrid of basic, advanced and role aids thrown into the mix back in the early 80's.

Play once or twice a week this days.

Play lots of different types of games from boardgames to RPGs to computer to console. About the only thing I don't play is tabletop wargames and that's because despite owning a huge amount of figures, I've never actually got an 'armies' worth out of any of 'em.

The_Gneech

Explorer
I started in the '80s with 1e, but I didn't actually play that much of it ... I moved into MERP almost right away, and from there to the HERO System when I was in college, with only occasional forays into AD&D when it was the only game going. Then I quit gaming all together sometime around '96 - '97, and didn't play again until 3.0 was released -- it was such a relief to finally have a version of D&D where the rules didn't make me tear my hair out!

-The Gneech :cool:

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I started with OD&D several years ago. Moved onto AD&D 1E and quickly into 2E after that. I left 2E for a time for Alternity, and then came back to D&D with 3E and then swtiched over to 3.5. Now I play 3.5, D20 Modern, Mutatnts and Masterminds, various other D20 games, and WHFPR v2. Not sure how long I've been playing total, but I am nearing something like 15 years or so.

Kane

Remove ads