Natural Armor

Spoof

First Post
Hey does Natural armor stack with Bracers of armor. It startes that these bracers give an armor bonus and I was wondering if the two bonuses stacked. Also on the same note does natural armor stack with say chainmail?

Bracers of Armor: These items appear to be wrist or arm guards. They surround the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force, granting him an armor bonus of +1 to +8, just as though he were wearing armor. Both bracers must be worn for the magic to be effective.

smootrk

First Post
Natural Armor does stack with regular Armor Bonus... It is a separate category of bonus that affects AC.

Bracers of Armor does not, however, stack with other Armor Bonuses (both are same category).

Last edited:

Spoof

First Post
I thought that Natural and Regular armor were both armor bonuses, and the only thing that stacked with an armor bonus was a shield. Does this mean that a character with an amulet of natural armor +1 , bracers of armor +1, and a shield +1 stack?

What about an amulet of Natural armor +1, plate +1 and a shield +1

Sorry for the questions but I am finally going to get to play in a game after many years away from the game and I just am not use to all the rules.

Also where can this information be foind as to what stacks with what (players DMG)?

IcyCool

First Post
Spoof said:
I thought that Natural and Regular armor were both armor bonuses, and the only thing that stacked with an armor bonus was a shield. Does this mean that a character with an amulet of natural armor +1 , bracers of armor +1, and a shield +1 stack?

Natural Armor and Armor are two separate things, therefore they stack. So your example stacks.

Spoof said:
What about an amulet of Natural armor +1, plate +1 and a shield +1

Yes.

In general, bonuses of the same type do not stack. (two Armor bonuses, such as from Bracers of Armor and Chainmail, would not stack as they are both Armor bonuses).

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Spoof said:
Also where can this information be foind as to what stacks with what (players DMG)?

There is a list of all the different bonus types on page 21 of the DMG. Anything different stacks, anything the same (except dodge and circumstance) does not stack.

Also note that an amulet of natural armor doesn't acutally grant an natural armor bonus, it adds an enhancement bonus to your natural armor, much the same way the plus on you shield adds an enhancment bonus to the shiled bonus. Basically that means is that you get the benefits of natural armor, even if you already naturally have natural armor.

Staffan

Legend
Natural armor is poorly named, just like Monstrous Humanoid (who aren't humanoids) and Incorporeal Touch attacks (which aren't really touch attacks).

Syntallah

First Post
MatthewJHanson said:
snip

Also note that an amulet of natural armor doesn't acutally grant an natural armor bonus, it adds an enhancement bonus to your natural armor, much the same way the plus on you shield adds an enhancment bonus to the shiled bonus. Basically that means is that you get the benefits of natural armor, even if you already naturally have natural armor.

Interesting. This is the first I have heard of such an interpretation. All of the groups I have played with have treated an Amulet of Natural Armor +x as just a natural armor bonus, and thus would not stack if you had a natural armor bonus yourself.

I just looked up the Amulet in both DMGs (3.0 & 3.5), and the newer book uses the word 'enhancement'. This is yet another case where something changed between editions and we assumed nothing had...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Syntallah said:
Interesting. This is the first I have heard of such an interpretation. All of the groups I have played with have treated an Amulet of Natural Armor +x as just a natural armor bonus, and thus would not stack if you had a natural armor bonus yourself.

I just looked up the Amulet in both DMGs (3.0 & 3.5), and the newer book uses the word 'enhancement'. This is yet another case where something changed between editions and we assumed nothing had...

The way enhancement bonuses to natural armor work in 3.5 is made more clear in the text of the Barkskin spell (on which the amulet of natural armor is based):

Barkskin toughens a creature’s skin. The effect grants a +2 enhancement bonus to the creature’s existing natural armor bonus. This enhancement bonus increases by 1 for every three caster levels above 3rd, to a maximum of +5 at caster level 12th.

The enhancement bonus provided by barkskin stacks with the target’s natural armor bonus, but not with other enhancement bonuses to natural armor. A creature without natural armor has an effective natural armor bonus of +0.

-Hyp.

Remove ads