Anyone using Fantasy Grounds?

Bobitron

Explorer
IronWolf said:
No problem! I hope it helps out.

It was helpful. A couple things that I found that irk me about the system...

1) You can't cut & paste drectly from word without using some sort of mod. At that point, it works, but apparently you have to go over the new entry because the punctuation doesn't translate well.

2) You can't zoom on maps. You can enter any picture of a reasonable size to use, and place and adjustable grid over it, but the lack of a zoom is a bit disappointing.

3) Each player can control only one character. No big deal, but what about summoned creatures and animal companions? The DM has to control them.

A user over at the FG forums made a video demonstrating the system in use (without players, unfortunately), which was nice.

If any users have been using the system and found that the issues I raised have not been a problem, let me know.

Vonlok The Bold

First Post
I am a player on it. I have the lite version. It has been extremely fun, for our group. While there may not be zoom features with the maps it seems that there are various sizes of mapping paper that can be used.

But I think the idea is to re-create face to face table gaming as closely as possible. And in Pen and Paper D&D you are restricted to whatever size graph paper is available and won't have a zoom feature.

The DM of our game has scanned in pictures from some of the monster manuals and can drop those right onto the map in rooms where we find them. It has been really nice, and with my time constraints it is pretty much the only I am able to play D&D regularly now.

We have been using the in game chat feature, but I understand that you could also use teamspeak over the computer and have voice chat, or use a combination of the two.

Another group which has yet to start might be trying the teamspeak voice chat while playing, beofre too long.

I am a huge fan of Fantasy Grounds, but it may not have all the features that you want in a program. Ask me any specific questions and I will try my best to answer them.

Bobitron

Explorer
Thanks, Vonlok! Can you ask your DM about the cut and paste issue I mentioned above?

I'm glad you like it as a player, speaks well for the system.

derbacher

Explorer
Originally posted by Vonlok The Bold
But I think the idea is to re-create face to face table gaming as closely as possible. And in Pen and Paper D&D you are restricted to whatever size graph paper is available and won't have a zoom feature.

Of course it has a zoom feature, it's called "hold the map closer to your face"! :lol:

Oh, I'm in one of those moods today... Players, beware the DM in goofy mode! :eek:

Bobitron

Explorer
Ahh yes, the zoom feature. I forgot about the table-top version.

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and picked up FG last night. On initial inspection, it seems pretty cool. There are a bunch of issues I'm running into, but I haven't even glanced at the manual yet. :eek:

I'm working to convert an adventure over from a pdf. Going OK so far, but it seems like a slow process.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases