Beginnings of my own Pantheon

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Well, this post is no longer important since I have reconfigured most of what I needed/wanted in a post below this.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Something I've discovered in my few-deity setting: it's way easier to set up internal church strife when you have fewer deities.

-- N

Khairn

First Post
Dog Moon ... what is the theme of your campaign setting?

Is there a known history to the pantheon that helps to influence the interaction between the dieties ( and their worshippers) ?

You have a fire, water, earth and air ... but what about cold?

Wouldn't spring & fall be better suited for the Nature diety rather than the farming / servant diety?

ZuulMoG

First Post
Assuming that dieties are actually neccessary to the smooth functioning of the cosmos, there's only 5 positions that absolutely need filling:

Death (Evil, Undead, etc...)
Energy (Sun, Elements, Magic, Psionics, etc...)
Nature (Animals, Druids, Weather, Hunting, etc...)
Time (Luck, History/Knowledge, etc...)
And
Life (Healing, Birth, Agriculture, etc...)

...aka the DENTaL plan.

All of the other 'deific portfolios' are just fluff. Dieties representing fluff should be servants of the dental plan, ascended heroes, and the like.

GSHamster

Adventurer
Devyn said:

I agree with this. It's always easier if you have a specific theme.

Another suggestion I have is to let your players in on the action. Give them the bare outline of a god (ie area of expertise) and let them flesh it out. I did this with my players, and they surprised me with some really innovative gods.

lgburton

First Post
i like the idea that you've seperated a god to undeath from a death god. the two are very different concepts...

i'd put in a god of death, but make them lawful-neutral, or something similar, and set them opposed to the god of undead.

one thing i've done in the course of building my own home-brew is assign gods aspects:
the lord of nature as the great hunter, the nurturing mother, or the storm spirit. all the same god, just different aspects of the divine presence - it helps cut down the total number of gods without cutting down the interesting interactions between faiths - it actually leads to a large ammount of intra-church strife, as different orders attempt to control all...

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by Devyn

Is there a known history to the pantheon that helps to influence the interaction between the dieties ( and their worshippers) ?

I guess I really don't have much of a theme to my campaign setting. I'm still in the process of coming up with ideas of things I like/dislike of different worlds. I don't really have a history for my pantheon either. Since I'm not in any hurry to start my campaign [Since we're just beginning another and we're waiting to see how this goes], all I've been doing is tossing ideas around and this is one of them.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by ZuulMoG
Assuming that dieties are actually neccessary to the smooth functioning of the cosmos, there's only 5 positions that absolutely need filling:

Death (Evil, Undead, etc...)
Energy (Sun, Elements, Magic, Psionics, etc...)
Nature (Animals, Druids, Weather, Hunting, etc...)
Time (Luck, History/Knowledge, etc...)
And
Life (Healing, Birth, Agriculture, etc...)

...aka the DENTaL plan.

All of the other 'deific portfolios' are just fluff. Dieties representing fluff should be servants of the dental plan, ascended heroes, and the like.

This sounds like an interesting idea. I do like this suggestion and though a part of me wants to go with this, a part of me is also stubborn and likes my own system better. :) Out of curiosity, however, where would the idea of the Deity of Justice fit in, or other deities who are worshipped for their IDEAS more than for the physical aspects/objects they represent?

Part of what I was doing, however, was something similar to what lgburton said, where there are a small number of Gods [Compared to FR anyway] and each facet of the God has a different personality, a different look. lgburton, however, seemed to lead towards more general ideas of Dieties while I'm looking purely at the specific ideas for now.

babomb

First Post
Well, you've got Spring and Autumn listed...
What about Summer and Winter?

The idea of a god of undeath is interesting, but is there not also a god of death? Or, for that matter, of life?

sun? (could be lumped in with fire)
moon?
love?
luck?
and lollipops? :p
wine?
happiness?
peace?
music?

Heathen72

Explorer
Nifft said:
Something I've discovered in my few-deity setting: it's way easier to set up internal church strife when you have fewer deities.

-- N
And easier still when you call the same God different names. Worshippers can get so nitpicky sometimes (and I mean nitpicky with a blunt crushing weapon). :confused:

Remove ads