Why Worship Gods?

Raven Crowking

First Post
Why does anyone in your world worship gods? 3.X establishes pretty well that clerics (etc.) gain their divine spells and powers whether or not they worship anyone. What is the purpose behind gods in your world? Does anyone get any direct benefits from worshiping them? Indirect benefits?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I think the answer is that if you have a god, you have a church, and that can be a powerful support network.

If you're a cleric with no god, you're out there on your own. If you have a god, then you have fellow worshippers who have built temples, receives tithes, etc. They can take you in, sell you goods at a reduced price, help heal you, etc. A church of a deity you worship is like having one big, extended family. And in a rugged medieval fantasy world, that can be extremely helpful.

Crothian

First Post
Because if you don't, they make your life and those around you bad. The gods control the weather, the animals, influence the goblin and orc hoards...and if you and everyone else do not pay them the respect they deserve, they let you know they are unhappy. People don't worship the gods out of lovce and respect, they do it out of fear.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Alzrius said:
If you're a cleric with no god, you're out there on your own.

You don't have to be. You and a bunch of other, like-minded folk can get together and start the Organized Cabal of Law-Doers or the Loose Association of Chaos.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Churches and Bad Weather

Okay, I do understand the advantages of having a Church, but under the circumstances 3.X rules set up, why does one need a god to have a church? Liturgy could as easily be philosophical and theosophical, right? If the powers stay the same, then what difference does it make to the people making up the church?

As far as the gods controlling the weather (etc.) goes, how many DMs actually have it rain more often on unbelievers? While this is an effective explaination in theory, it just doesn't seem to have any basis in experience.

I have dealt with what occurs to characters after their deaths, but I haven't ever seen another DM do this. For the most part, in most campaigns, you can be brought back from the dead whether or not you were religious in life, for instance. You would think an evil being would have a harder time escaping an Infernal plane...or that a demon would take the place of (or possess) the returning being. Yet the core rules remove that possibility.

Psion

Adventurer
Raven Crowking said:
Why does anyone in your world worship gods? 3.X establishes pretty well that clerics (etc.) gain their divine spells and powers whether or not they worship anyone. What is the purpose behind gods in your world? Does anyone get any direct benefits from worshiping them? Indirect benefits?

You're conflating two questions:
1) why do clerics worship deities, and
2) why does ANYONE worship deities.

Since you hinge it on benefits, it sounds as if you are primarily talking about mechanics. Obviously, WotC has made the default mechanics very permissive. But really, as it stands, that says little about what lies beyond the mechanics. You may not worship any personified deity but a principle, but you are still being given power by following a religious principle of some sort.

As for my game world specifically, it is NOT good enough to just follow "good" or "strength". Though you may be empowered by a deity personifying such characteristics, but that deity has the power to rescind their power.

As for anyone worshipping deities, that's a cosmology question. I adopt an attitude for PS that the divinity is sort of a divine beacon that your soul homes in on in the afterlife. Further, it gives you a principle that likewise guides it to that plane. If you don't follow a patron deity, you may get to the afterlife safely, or you may not. Do you feel lucky, punk?

Raven Crowking

First Post
Crothian said:
Because if you don't, they make your life and those around you bad. The gods control the weather, the animals, influence the goblin and orc hoards...and if you and everyone else do not pay them the respect they deserve, they let you know they are unhappy. People don't worship the gods out of lovce and respect, they do it out of fear.

Aren't some 50%+ D&D adventures about how the good, god-fearing people are in the way of the orc hordes?

Remove ads