2 Weapon Feat Build

sleepystyle

First Post
I'm sure this is a topic that has been played out plenty of times on these boards, but let's play again cause now it's my turn.

I'm playing a human rogue 1st level currently and will run him through 20th. I'd like work him into a build that is positively sick in sneak attack mode and plan on using daggers as his weapon of choice. Stats are Str 10, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 9, Cha 14. 1st level feats were Improved Init, and Alertness. For all upcoming levels I'm willing to burn feats on pursuing a 2 weapon fighting dream. I'm not all that keen on mechanics so I'm soliciting the advice of all of you who specialize in just that. Feats and Magic Items to seek out... suggested builds?
I might consider taking a couple levels of fighter if I need to in order to make it work, but I'd rather stay with rogue to keep my skills maxed.

So what do you say?

Two-weapon fighting is going to work better and better the less your character depends on base weapon damage. The easiest ways to get non-weapon base damage on your attacks are, generally:

Sneak Attack
Elemental Enhancements (Flaming, Shocking, etc.)
Weapon Specialization

You've got one covered already. The other you can only get by going Ftr 4 - personally, I think that's a good investment, especially as a TWF build is going to be positively starved for feats. The 4 levels of Fighter will also ensure that your Ftr 4 / Rog 16 has the maximum 4 base attacks at 20th level.

EDIT: The other problem with TWF is that it depends very heavily on getting full attacks. Full attacks depend very heavily on spending time next to the badguys. Spending time next to the badguys depends very heavily on having the AC and HP to not go squish when they full attack you back. Historically speaking, rogues don't have much of either. :(

glass

(he, him)
Simple answer? Don't!

Sorry, I know that that isn't terribly helpfull, but to get the extra attacks from TWF, you have to be in melee* and not move. d6 HD and 10 Con make hanging around in melee suicidal.

* or using thrown weapons, but you still can't be far away and they have there own issues

glass.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
You've got one covered already. The other you can only get by going Ftr 4 - personally, I think that's a good investment, especially as a TWF build is going to be positively starved for feats. The 4 levels of Fighter will also ensure that your Ftr 4 / Rog 16 has the maximum 4 base attacks at 20th level.

This is a good idea. A few fighter levels will help your durability a lot. I'd also get Improved Toughness and boost you Con as much as possibly (although beware buffs that can be dispelled).

glass.

JimAde

First Post
I think you'll absolutely have to take at least 2 levels of fighter. That gets you two feats you'll desperately need as well as a couple extra hit points.

Are you stuck with your initial feats? Two-weapon fighting is available at 1st level.

Also, you'll have to raise your dex somehow. You need dex 17 for improved TWF and 19 for Greater.

IcyCool

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
EDIT: The other problem with TWF is that it depends very heavily on getting full attacks. Full attacks depend very heavily on spending time next to the badguys. Spending time next to the badguys depends very heavily on having the AC and HP to not go squish when they full attack you back. Historically speaking, rogues don't have much of either. :(

Isn't there a feat in Complete Adventurer that lets you strike with both of your weapons as a standard action? That'll help a bit in the "getting lots of attacks" department. Doublestrike, I think it's called.

IcyCool said:
Isn't there a feat in Complete Adventurer that lets you strike with both of your weapons as a standard action? That'll help a bit in the "getting lots of attacks" department. Doublestrike, I think it's called.

Yes - I believe it applies a -4 penalty to each attack, though.

Coredump

Explorer
I would switch the Int and Con.

Check out Invisible Blade in CW. The prereqs are 'wrong', it should only be weap finess and weap focus.

This will allow you to feint as a free action, and keeps full SA. 4 levels of fighter only gives you 8 hps.... The feats might be worth it, but I wouldn't do it for the HP.

First round, you can throw for SA if you win init. After that, delay to make sure you can be flanking someone. If you team up with a grappler, that is cool too.

Remove ads