2 Weapon Feat Build

IcyCool

First Post
JimAde said:
No, it's a "I think this is what they intended based on the way I've seen the weapon used in cinematic sources" argument. :) Also balance, but I honestly think this must be what they intended.

I'm speaking from ignorance in that I haven't actually seen the text of the DMG (have to check it when I get home) but the blade stays in your hand the whole time. I don't see what else they could have meant.

Kusari-Gama:
DMG said:
Kusari-Gama: This small sickle is attached to a length of chain. A kusari-gama is an exotic weapon that has reach. It can strike opponents 10 feet away. In addition, unlike other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe. It can be used in all respects like a spiked chain (see page 115 of the Player's Handbook) for trip attacks, disarming other foes, and using its wielder's Dexterity modifier instead of her Strength modifier in attack rolls.

Its listing in Table 5-3: Asian Weapons indicates the following:
It is an Exotic, Light Melee weapon.
It costs 10gp.
It does 1d4(small) or 1d6(medium).
It has a 20/x2 crit-range.
It weighs 3lbs.
It does slashing damage.
It is a reach weapon.

JimAde

First Post
I guess I should outfit all my dex fighter characters with these. :)

I still think it's a mistake on the designer's part, but I could certainly be wrong. I guess it's no more abusive than a spiked chain, but I'm pretty certain this is not how they were used historically.

Sil

First Post
IcyCool, thank you for posting the etire text. I have a question.

"It can be used in all respects like a spiked chain." Does that not suggest it is a double weapon, although not marked as such? I do not understand the referenace, since it seems to me they list all the abilities it has.

Sil said:
"It can be used in all respects like a spiked chain." Does that not suggest it is a double weapon, although not marked as such?

No, it does not suggest that, because the spiked chain is not a double weapon.

What that text means - and the full sentence is "It can be used in all respects like a spiked chain (see page 115 of the Player's Handbook) for trip attacks, disarming other foes, and using its wielder's Dexterity modifier instead of her Strength modifier in attack rolls." - is that the user of a kusari-gama can use it to make trip attacks, may drop it rather than be counter-tripped, may use it to disarm with a +2 bonus, and can be used with weapon finesse.

Nothing more.

Quikill

First Post
Coredump, where did you find that the pre req's for Invisible Blade are wrong?

Check out Invisible Blade in CW. The prereqs are 'wrong', it should only be weap finess and weap focus.

I am working on a build which includes Invisible Blade, but I found the pre req's make no sense other than weapon focus.

Let me know.

Thanks

Jarrod

First Post
Do a search on the Wizards boards; I think the function's down, but Google makes a good substitute ("site:boards1.wizards.com invisible blade prerequisites" should work). In short, the contributing author originally had a 10-level melee/ranged class, and WoTC turned it into a 5-level melee class. By RAW you have the strange prereqs, but the author suggests weapon focus and weapon finesse instead.

It's actually a nicely balanced class; gain BAB, lose skills -- you're pretty melee-rogue after that. I took it for a recent character and I just had to laugh when my party asked if I could open locks.

Sil

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
No, it does not suggest that, because the spiked chain is not a double weapon.
Bah. Again i was confused. I was thinking chain lash, from the link i posted.

satori01

First Post
Expertise can be invaluable to this type of build. Essentially you take max Expertise to boast your AC until you tumble into sneak attack postion, unleash the sneak attack bomb and then tumble out, rinse and repeat. It can be quite effective.

I also multiclassed as a Ranger to get Two Weapon fighting, for free and the extra HP,(this was 3.0 version). I had stats similiar to yours, I would reccomend swaping your Con score for your Cha score, with the skill ranks you will have you will not notice the loss of bonus for social skills. You are going to be wacked, and HPs are definetely the draw back to the build, though it is always exciting. If you have a hang back cleric have him or her cast Shield Other, and all the AC and HP boosting spells on you. I had a high Con Barb/Cleric in the party to cast that on me, and share the damage coupled with a monk in the party to setup flanking situations. Team work is critical for this build.

Remove ads