Endur's Return to TOEE part 2

Thanee

First Post
OOC: No, thank you. Do we even have a clue, that the chicken is a cockatrice? Oh, and since the dragon has fled, Lenya will boost her Fortitude save again.

Endur

First Post
After seeing the statue of Festrath, Lylamwyn suspects that the unnatural chicken may fit the description of a magical beast he once read about, known as a Cockatrice. Lylamwyn knows that a Cockatrice can turn someone to stone by pecking on them or biting them. (Lylamwyn Knowledge Arcana Check: 6+12=18; Lenya KA check: 3+6=9; Kerwyn KA: 4+4=8; )

Endur

First Post
The party returns to Hommlet without further incident.

The party sells the miscellaneous gnoll weapons, armor, and digging tools to the town smiths for 500 gp.

After the news gets out that the party defeated a Dragon, Hommlet throws a party in the Welcome Wench for the adventurers. Uncle Joman pays for all of the alcohol. Craven and Lenya notice several new employees have joined the Welcome Wench staff, to replace themselves and Maridosen.

Craven’s parents Lilinda and Trevor, and Marli his sister, and nearly all of his other close relatives are at the party. They are all very proud of Craven. Craven hears many times, that “Next time it won’t get away”, next time Craven will be a ‘Dragonslayer.’

During the party, Canoness Y’Dey asks the adventurers to come by her office the next day. She wishes to discuss matters of importance with the party as a group.

Also during the party, Vesta dances with both Kerwyn and Lylamwyn and asks each of them if they will teach her magic.

On a bright sunny day, the party (including Xaod) assemble around lunch time in Canoness Y’Dey’s office.

The Canoness stands and speaks after everyone is seated:
“I fought at the Battle of Emridy Meadows. I was present at the aftermath of the battle, when the greatest amongst us cast spells to bind the Demon Queen of Fungi within her own temple. I volunteered to guard the Temple of Elemental Evil, to make sure that servants of evil would not free the Demon Queen. For years, Otto and I lived undercover in Nulb, foiling plot after plot, preventing the Demon Queen from being released. I was there when Otto stabbed the Old One, and the Dark God’s black blood fell to the ground. My tears were endless when the Old One inflicted wounds upon Otto that prayers could not heal. I witnessed St. Cuthbert intervene and watched him drive the Dark God back to the black land in the north. In our moment of triumph, I witnessed the greatest betrayal when Robilar freed the Demon Queen in exchange for three wishes. I aided the Circle of Eight in banishing the Demon Queen from this dimension, but we were too slow to prevent the traitor Robilar’s escape.
“There are none now living that know more about the evil we fought than myself.
“I will share with you my knowledge, in the hope that you can vanquish this evil once and for all.
“I will not name the creatures of power I discuss, for names have power. You will know who I mean.”

The windows to the outside are dark. It is storming. Thunder and Lightning.

The Canoness continues.

“When we fought the Temple of Elemental Evil, the names of the enemy were many. And there were great powers arrayed behind the lesser. Elemental Evil was their design, power over all the elements. They venerated the Princes of Elemental Evil. Yet behind the Princes, Other great powers moved. The Old One, Ruler of the Lands in Darkness, Terror of the World, gave his power to the Temple of Elemental Evil. The Spider Queen, Goddess of the Legendary Dark Elves, also gave power to the Cause of Evil. The Third Great Power was the Demon Queen of Fungi.
“Yet behind these powers there may well be others. The Old One himself is but the son of the Six Fingered Demon Prince of Sorcerors and the Immortal Witch that ruled Perrenland a century ago.
“Speculation remains that the Scarlet Brotherhood may have been behind the disappearance of Prince Thrommel. A group of Suel Necromancers known as the Seekers have long sought after ancient secrets and might have been involved in seeking out secrets hidden in the Moathouse. The Reptile you found sounds like a Troglydyte, a race of underground Lizardmen that wish to destroy the surface world.
“The amulets on the cultists you fought in the Moathouse were created for yet another dread being, the Elder Elemental Eye, one of the Elder Evils that is supposed to pre-date humanity.
“And the black obex, the dark sun, and the obelisk seem linked to one of the Ancient Gods of the evil Suel Imperium. Another Elder Evil that predates humanity. The Destroyer of the World. A being so terrible that the other Gods of the Ancient World banished it to a place beyond time and space.
“These are the terrors you may be about to face.
“And yet, I might be overstating the nature of the opposition.
“Nulb lies abandoned, a ruin. The Temple of Elemental Evil itself was destroyed in an Earthquake after the Demon Queen was banished. All of the underground rooms were buried, all that is left is rubble on the surface that provides cover to a tribe of hobgoblins.
“And Demons were driven from the Land when Canon Hazen used the Crook of Rao to banish the fiends during the Greyhawk wars. Even if the cultists have returned, they will have few if any Demons on their side.
“If the worst happens and you do find yourself facing the Dark God, have faith and do not hesitate to call for help from St. Cuthbert. St. Cuthbert has answered the call for help before and he will continue to do so.
“So far, you have exceeded my expectations. I hope you continue to do so. I foresee great good coming from your efforts.
“But do not make the choice that Robilar made, serving the Demon for your own personal gain. Do not sell your soul for three wishes.
“Names have power. And the Rituals of the Dark Gods have power. Be very careful what you do when you enter the places of the enemy. Simply uttering the name of a Dark God might be enough to activate a long-forgotten ritual, or to summon forth an avatar to your eternal sorrow. Yes, the followers of the dark gods have some rituals that may not seem harmful, but all magic has a cost, even that which seems like it will grant you free wishes.”

She was looking at Kerwyn when she uttered those last few words.

The trip to Verbobonc takes six days. The party arrives without incident and checks into an Inn.

Lylamwyn works a deal with a member of the local wizards guild to identify all of their magic items for 500 gp. +1 heavy mace. +1 shortbow. The other weapons were what you thought they were. The 3 black spheres are Beads of Force. The two brooches are Brooches of Shielding (90 points and 101 points). The two cloaks are Cloaks of Resistance +1. The Necklace is a Lesser Strand of Prayer Beads with a Bead of Blessing and a Bead of Healing. The amulet is a Pearl of Power (1st level). The half-full water skin contains an evil poison that slays and reanimates the drinker as a ghast.

The iron torch is called a Torch of Revealing. When incense of dreaming is placed in the Torch of Revealing, it creates a 10 foot radius of violet light and chill air. The torch can reveal specific, magically hidden objects within temples and shrines devoted to Tharzidun.

The three cones are Incense of Dreaming. This dark-colored incense is created by worshippers of Tharzidun for use in Torches of Revealing and other ritualistic uses. The incense has no effect unless used in a specially prepared container (such as a Torch of Revealing).

Lenya is shopping for wands, Craven is visiting the Temple of St. Cuthbert, Belaver is visiting the local grove of the Old Faith, Raner is visiting one of his cousins who lives here, and Lylamwyn is trying to identify magic items. Kerwyn, Toriah, and Xaod go to a bar.

Predictably, a bar room brawl explodes, but it has nothing to do with the PCs until a bottle flies through the air and hits Xaod. Followed by several bodies that come flying through the air and hit Toriah.

Xaod, although drunk, holds his own in the brawl. Kerwyn completely avoids being hurt. Toriah is beaten bloody in the brawl, suffers several broken bones, and has to be carried back to the hotel by Kerwyn and Xaod.

Toriah heard one of the men who was pounding on him whisper into his ear, “The Guild says leave town tomorrow. Return again to Verbobonc and you will be buried here.”

Endur

First Post
Toriah's Fantastic Adventure

Toriah is unconscious, suffering from a concussion after the brutal beating he received from the Guild thugs. Belaver has healed his wounds and thinks Toriah will recover soon.

Toriah dreams.

Toriah wants to return to his home, in a neighborhood of Verbobonc known as Kansas. Yet the Guild has ordered him to leave the city. Toriah disguises himself as a woman named Dorothy, something the guild will never suspect. Belaver comes along with Toriah for protection, shapechanging himself into a small dog named Toto.

Dorothy/Toriah and Toto/Belaver make it through to Toriah's old house without any interference from the Guild. Nobody is home. A tornado strikes Verbobonc, lifting up the house.

The house lands in a gnomish community, landing on top of the Wicked Witch of the East. Dorothy remarks, "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore." Dorothy meets the Good Witch of the North, Glinda (who looks like Lenya). Dorothy is proclaimed a national heroine by the Gnomes.

The Wicked Witch of the West arrives on her broom (and looks like Maridosen with green skin and a black hat and black clothing), and demands that Dorothy turn over the ruby slippers she is wearing. Dorothy says, "I just want to go back to Kansas".
Dorothy and Toto set off on the Yellow Brick Road to find the Wizard of Oz, who has the power to return them to Kansas. Dorothy/Toriah engages in much singing and dancing along the way. They are joined by a Scarecrow made of straw who wants a brain (and looks like Kerwyn). They are joined by a rusted Tinman with an axe who lacks a heart (and looks like Raner). Finally, their group is joined by a cowardly awakened Lion who lacks courage (and looks like Craven).

The party arrives in Oz and meets the famous wizard (who looks like Lylamwyn). Oz promises to grant their desires if they bring him the broom of the Wicked Witch of the West.

After a harrowing adventure, Dorothy/Toriah dumps a pail of water on the Wicked Witch and she melts to nothingness.

They return to Oz, where various rewards are given out and Dorothy/Toriah returns to the real world, by reciting, "I just want to go home."

Toriah wakes up, his concussion is over, his health is fully restored. Looking around the room at the concerned members of his party, he remarks that he had the strangest dream and the others were in his dream.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Craven just about decides that Toriah is fairly much off his rocker, but keeps his mouth shut. After the items are identified, Craven sees that only he and Belaver will be able to use the prayer beads and pearl. "Perhaps I should carry one and you the other? That might be best," he offers to the halfling.

But when bar brawls land Toriah in bed again, Craven just shakes his head. "You should be more careful. Some people will enforced their wishes with an iron fist. Let's not antagonize anyone else while we're here, hmm?"

Seonaid

Explorer
Toriah accompanies the others to Verbobonc reluctantly. He doesn't voice to his misgivings but promises himself to be careful and watchful. When the bar fight breaks out, he knows his luck is done. This was a bad, bad idea, he thinks as he slugs a man in the gut and then goes down in the fray.

When he comes to, he blurts out, "I had th' stranges' dream, an' you all"--he looks around him with wide eyes--"were in 't." He shakes his head, looks down at his previously battered body, and looks at Belaver. "I assume you did this, an' I thank you." He then blinks and asks, "How long have I been ou'?"

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
Belaver graciously accepts whichever of the divine items Craven gives to him, and remonstrates with Toriah on the wisdom or lack thereof of getting involved in bar brawls.

Endur

First Post
The party finishes conducting its business and leaves Verbobonc. Toriah is nervous the whole time and breathes a sigh of relief once the party leaves the city.

The trip from Verbobonc to Nulb takes six days. The first two nights the party stays at road side inns, the rest of the trip the party camps out and maintains a watch. No bandits or other creatures bother the well-armed party.

Soon the party reaches Nulb, the village where Canoness Y’Dey and Otto maintained their watch on the forces of elemental evil. You have heard many stories about how Otto, Elmo’s older brother, disguised himself as a smith and lived in the village for years. Canoness Y’Dey disguised herself as an old hag selling love potions and other enchantments. Toriah and Craven have heard a rumor that Otto and Y’Dey were secretly married, but the Canoness never discusses that rumor.

Once upon a time, the small village of Nulb saw traffic and the flow of goods from many places. Greedy merchants came to Nulb by land or by river and traded with the Priests of the Temple of Elemental Evil, which is a mere hour’s walk from this place.

Now the temple is no more and the merchants no longer travel here.

The falling down buildings were built of mud brick, crudely hewn logs, and old timbers from boats. Most of the buildings have been reduced to rotting piles of timber and mud.

The waterside hostel is the only building in Nulb that has a stone foundation and two floors. The hostel still stands. The doors are missing and you can see inside the hostel’s first floor. Some of the tables are over turned, as if nobody bothered to clean up after the last barroom fight in this place. Lenya sees a bartender looking at her from behind the bar on the first floor. The tall, lanky, greasy bartender is washing a mug that only Lenya can see. Before Lenya’s eyes, the Bartender undergoes a horrific transformation, pieces of his body go flying, as if he is being hacked to pieces by a giant invisible blade. Lenya’s face turns white and she forces her eyes away from the horror in the Hostel (Lenya fort save 4+6=10 fail, ability damage con 4, str 1, dex 1). Xaod says to Lenya, “You look like you have just seen a ghost.”

Across the street from the Old Waterside Hostel, the old herb shop Canoness Y’Dey once worked in, is the only other building still standing and has a sign that says, “Mother Screng’s Herb Shop”.

An old abandoned river boat has run aground. It has many holes and will never be sea worthy again. A large skull and crossbones was painted on the ship, but much of the paint is faded and peeling.

The village is silent. Nothing moves amongst the ruined buildings, not even the wind.

A Cross is standing in the middle of the ruined village.

A man hangs from the cross.

Tall and covered with muscles, a northern barbarian of the Suel race, hangs from the cross, not moving. Blood drips from the wounds where nails were driven through his hands.

A black hood covers his head, otherwise he is naked. Long blonde hair falls out of the back of the hood.

Even covered with wounds, his body appears close to human perfection.

Pyrex

First Post
A chill runs down Raner's spine as he walks down the streets of the once-prosperous town, the decay serving as a powerful reminder of what may become of the rest of the world if the evil of the temple is allowed to spread.

As the town square comes in to view, Raner stops in his tracks, momentarily transfixed by the sight of the crucified barbarian. Then, he sees that the human is still bleeding.

"Craven, help me get 'im down, he may still be alive."

Raner then moves forward towards the crucified human, trying to figure out how to get him down without killing him, if, indeed, he isn't already dead.

Remove ads