How to tell a friend's girlfriend to get a job or something?

MadMaxim

First Post
I don't know if it's the right place to ask this question, but I'd very much like some advice in this matter as it seriously bothers me. Okay, here goes:

A good friend of mine has just moved into an apartment together with his girlfriend. He's 23, she turns 18 in a few weeks. The problem is that he's the only one to pay the bills and she sits around doing nothing all day. She doesn't have any plans about getting an education and she has this little dream of becoming an actress. I've tried to ask my friend to ask her to get a job, since he cannot keep on paying all the bills by himself while maintaining a proper living standard. He doesn't really press her hard enough to get a job, but I seriously think she has to start paying her share of the living expenses and I keep asking her how she's doing with the job search. Her only excuse is that she's in a local musical that's currently being set up. This doesn't strike me as a good enough excuse to not go looking for a job. I currently work in a warehouse and offered her to ask if the company was currently hiring (which it actually is), but she didn't want to work in warehouse. So, what should I do?

I haven't known her that long, but both her and my friend are currently in the gaming group that I run and I really don't want to mess up something with my friend. Strangely enough he has given me permission to ask her to get a job, as if he's afraid of keep asking her himself. He could possibly be afraid of losing her, but if it doesn't take more than that to break up their relationship I don't think it's strong enough. But could any of you give me some advice based on these facts? Thanks in advance.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I think I would just butt out and let the two of them deal with it. He'll either learn a painful (but necessaary) lesson, or she'll change, or whatever, but since it doesn't really affect you directly (they don't live with you, right?), it's ultimately not your problem.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I'd talk to your friend about it.

Maybe he likes having her around for sex, and it's worth it to him to pay the bills.

Maybe he's about to give her the boot out of there.

Maybe all kind of different stuff.

Don't bothr approaching her. Approach him. "Hey man, I think she is taking advantage of you..."

Harmon

First Post
Do yourself a favor- stay out of it. You will say something that will be misreceived and she will tell him and that will be the end.

Instead help your friend work out his finances- he makes X every month, it costs him Y to live in the apartment he shares. Suggest he show her that information and say- "baby, I would love to be able to do this on my own, but I can't I need your help."

He should also tell her that a lot of things happen in the world around work, it creates so much social interaction, she can learn about character interaction and become a better actor. She should- she needs to get into school too.

Its my view that everyone should earn their own way through life.

MadMaxim

First Post
EricNoah said:
I think I would just butt out and let the two of them deal with it. He'll either learn a painful (but necessaary) lesson, or she'll change, or whatever, but since it doesn't really affect you directly (they don't live with you, right?), it's ultimately not your problem.

You're right, Eric, it's really none of my business, but I seriously think she's taking advantage of him and when has it ever been wrong to worry about your friends if you think something is wrong? After all, he gave me permission to ask her on his behalf, so if it doesn't concern me then I don't know what does. And no, they're not living with me.

As for the "essential" stuff, Abstraction... ;) I don't consider her essential as such. She's only been with the group for the last six months so she's not an integrated part of the group. I wouldn't call her hot more in the terms of cute.

Teflon Billy, I think you hit the mark with the sex part. He's been bragging quite a bit about all the hot sex they've been having, so perhaps that's the reason he doesn't push harder when it comes to her getting a job... I don't think he's about to give her the boot as he's never had a girlfriend before, so he's probably going into this wholeheartedly. I'll try approaching him again...

Ranger REG

Explorer
MadMaxim said:
You're right, Eric, it's really none of my business, but I seriously think she's taking advantage of him and when has it ever been wrong to worry about your friends if you think something is wrong? After all, he gave me permission to ask her on his behalf, so if it doesn't concern me then I don't know what does. And no, they're not living with me.
Did you asked permission to talk to her about getting a job?

Back out of that now. He's gotta learn. The only thing you can do is support him when the relationship fail (and it will most likely fail).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases