Wolfen in D&D

Dremmen

First Post
Alright you D20 monster gurus out there - I am looking for a race like the Wolfen from Palladium Fantasy, but in D20. For the 4 out of 5 of you out there that haven't played Palladium Fantasy, they are a wolf-human race that are about the size of minotaurs. They are not lycanthropic - they are as they are and no shapechanging. They are also not mindless monsters - they have societies and are fairly intelligent. And when I went to find a race like it in my MMs I was stunned to see nothing like it. Surely something so straightforward would be somewhere in the books..

So far, the closest things to it are the Wolfwere from 2nd ed., which is a shapechanger and doesn't really work, the Quaggoth from the underdark, which also doesn't really fit the bill since they are Medium sized, and lastly using a Werebear in hybrid form. But again, this would take much tweaking. Surely there is a Wolfen-like creature in one of the myriad books, or in an old Dungeon, or somewhere?? :\

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
The Sibbicai (not sure how Monte is spelling his d20 version - as this race originally came from Rolemaster - yes, he wrote it for Rolemaster as well - many many years ago) from Arcana Unearthed/Evolved are likely to be about the closest you can come. IIRC, they are more like Jackalmen, but you can easily adjust that to Wolfmen.

Dremmen

First Post
The Rakasha I don't believe would be a good fit. There will be villages of these guys, and Rakasha to my understanding are loners as well as pretty dang mighty. The Sibbicai seem a bit more promising if I can find their stats somewhere. Also since you mentioned Rolemaster, there are the Vulfen. But I've had no luck finding D20 stats for these guys. Like Darkmentat suggests I may have to just do a D20 write up myself, but I'd so much prefer something from one of the books, or in Dungeon.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Probably the easiest way to model this would be to apply the anthropomorphic (?) template from Savage Species to a dire wolf. Ta Da! Instant wolfen.

Psion

Adventurer
Dovers from Bastion's Minions are a somewhat wolfen-like canine race.

Or good old fashioned gnolls, but they may be to chaotic to fit the Roman motif that Palladium gave them. And they're hyenas (but Hamunaptra didn't seem to care too much about that one...)

S'mon

Legend
Gnolls.

OTOH when I used Wolfen in my 1e/2e campaign I made them 6 hit dice badasses. Probably a gnoll with the Elite array (so STR 19) and several levels of Warrior would make a good standard wolfen warrior.

Dremmen

First Post
The thing is that Gnolls are medium sized. OK, maybe I should say why I'm looking for Wolfen in the first place. If you're familiar with the Rackham Confrontation line of miniatures, you'll quickly know what I'm talking about. They have these AWEsome lines of minis that are the spitting image of Wolfen, IMO. They are on the bigger side of Wolfen, and they have a Celtic spin to them rather than Roman Legionnaire, but that's the closest thing I could refer them as for finding D20 stats for them. Here's a quick link -
http://www.rackham-store.com/ and check out the one appropriately enough called Wolfen or the Devourers.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases