Word of Recall

Vraister

First Post
Hey,

how strikt are you about the wording 'to your sanctuary' when you use this spell.
If you go by the word a druid could only teleport to her grove and a cleric only to his temple.

The next sentence implies that you can have more than one sanctuary and that it must be a 'very familiar place'.

So my question is: What do you define as a sanctuary for the purpose of this spell?

Vraister

isoChron

First Post
We always asumed you have one personal sanctuary (perhaps the temple where you were educated or received your lustration). You can always teleport to this point. If you found a shrine/temple you can designate this place later. So the location may change but it's always only one location at any time. Mostly you must perform a small ritual, designating that one place as your sanctuary. But this is all personal opinion and none of it is underlined by the spell description.

Now the words about this sanctuary seem to be a little ambiguous. Perhaps the spell allows every more or less sacred place you know very well. Since you define the sanctuary when preparing the spell it could change every day ?! Don't know. Depends on how arcane-teleport-like you want that spell.

Greetings

Vraister

First Post
Our party cleric uses it arcane-teleport-like except that scying is not enough as he has to know the place very well. My druid only uses it to teleport back to his home forest and that is for me the purpose of the spell.

As our group has no arcane caster its quiet handy for the other that the cleric uses it that way but I always think that it is against the spell as written.

Infiniti2000

First Post
A sanctuary is any Temple of the same deity or any place of refuge that the spellcaster knows well. If the cleric spends a large portion of his time at a nearby lake whittling pieces of wood, then that would qualify as a sanctuary. When the spell is prepared, the sanctuary must be specified, so it would be written down as something like "word of recall (Temple in Orlando)" or "word of recall (pond where Grandpa died)".

Nail

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
A sanctuary is any Temple of the same deity or any place of refuge that the spellcaster knows well.
Not quite, Infiniti2000. The santuary location has no such restriction other than being "a sanctuary", "very familiar", and being designated.
SRD said:
Word of recall teleports you instantly back to your sanctuary when the word is uttered. You must designate the sanctuary when you prepare the spell, and it must be a very familiar place. The actual point of arrival is a designated area no larger than 10 feet by 10 feet.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Nail said:
Not quite, Infiniti2000. The santuary location has no such restriction other than being "a sanctuary", "very familiar", and being designated.
Yeah, but the restriction I pointed out is given by the term 'sanctuary'. What is a sanctuary? Look it up in the dictionary and you'll see two main designations: temple and place of refuge. It is admittedly vague, but I think it's not too vague. ;)

Nail

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
but I think it's not too vague. ;)
Agreed. Certainly not vague enough to allow "just anyplace" to qualify.

I currently play a Clr 15....and I certainly *don't* use it as a teleport stand-in. My PC usually keys it to his chapel in our adventuring group's castle.

(Aside: I've really been wishing my Clr had the Travel domain. Yoowza, is that a useful domain to have!)

seans23

First Post
Nail said:
(Aside: I've really been wishing my Clr had the Travel domain. Yoowza, is that a useful domain to have!)

Yeah, after my monk was killed in Nightfang Spire (soon to return as either a vampire or a zombie, depending on who finished him off) I started a cleric of Fharlanghn. I opted for Luck and Celerity, but multiple times I've thought that I should have chosen Travel instead of Celerity. Especially because I had 3.0 haste in mind when I was reading the domain spells.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases