Help me sell my players on the Black Company

Imperialus

Explorer
I recently managed to scrape together enough money to purchace the Black Company D20. I've long been a fan of the books but none of the others in my group have ever read them. I know I have a few of them sold on the idea of a low magic campaign setting but am unsure of how to present the campaign setting itself. I know they arn't going to like the idea that the only race available is Human and the zany magic might be a tough sell too.

Any ideas for I could set up the game for people who havn't read the books? I was thinking possibly setting the game during the companies run northward perhaps around the same time Croaker joins the company. Gives me enough flexability to do all kinds of stuff but givvs them a fair bit of freedom as well.

Michael Dean

Explorer
Get one of them to read the first book. It's not a long read and they should be hooked. I read the first one back in 1984 or so and have wanted an rpg to be made of the setting since then, so I'm biased. If they won't read the whole thing, just have them read the chapter about Raker and how the guys take him out. Or the last part of Shadows Linger, when they have to set an ambush for the Limper.

For me, the pull of the Black Company was the whole bad-ass theme going on. The Taken make for perfect villains, with their political scheming and backstabbing amongst themselves as much as against the rebels. How could you not want to play against the Limper? Imagine the suspense as your players are waiting for the Limper to come into the farmhouse where you've set a trap for him. Describe some of the intrigue to your players. I think over the years I've probably bought the original book 8 or 10 times, because I've given it to friends and gotten them into the series.

I like mass combat. Mass combat is good. It's even better with a crack group of mercenaries that are good enough to turn the tide of a battle and strike fear into the enemy, but who also get their own asses kicked from time to time. The Black Company rpg allows you to do this.

Stormborn

Explorer
I agree, other than reading the first novel I don't know how you can seel them on the game. You mention the races and the magic, would they have any other objections? How sold are you on playing a true to source Black Company game? Allowing other races, while not in the books, wouldn't upset things too much. The Magic system, however, is a big hurdle to overcome. If you have players who really want to be magic users, but don't like the system, you may be out of luck.

GlassJaw

Hero
Well the first thing I would ask is what style of game do your players like? Regardless if anyone have read any of the novels, if they don't like low-magic and gritty games, it doesn't matter what the campaign setting it. I haven't had much luck in the past trying to get high-magic/hack n slash groups to try something new.

I know I have a few of them sold on the idea of a low magic campaign setting but am unsure of how to present the campaign setting itself. I know they arn't going to like the idea that the only race available is Human and the zany magic might be a tough sell too.

Well it sounds to me like they aren't that sold. Again, I wouldn't worry about the setting itself too much. If you are familiar with the world, you can introduce as much or as little as your want during the campaign. The key is whether your players will enjoy their characters and the ruleset itself.

Wolf72

Explorer
*wolf casts a spell* Dredge up old thread!

another question about BCCS: ... how is the background information? about the different lands, mythology, and history?

I'm currently reading the series (up to The White Rose now) and am very interested in the campaign world.

Wolf72

Explorer
well okay, perhaps the spell wasn't necessary :heh:

I rolled a good search skill and found the two reviews that were listed for the BCCS, ... I hope Amazon keeps the price down for at least another 4 weeks. I definitely plan on buying this book.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases