Why is he being hunted?

Land Outcast

Explorer
This is exactly about what the title says, why would a PC be hunted? (apart from direct action of the PC). And no, I can't be more precise because it's a plot I'm trying to buil up.

domino

First Post
Wanted for a crime he did or didn't commit.

Last survivor of some group that some guy wants to be exterminated.

Rich evil people get their kicks out of hunting the most dangerous prey. Man.

Has an item that the hunters want.

Has some other property the hunters want. (say, that ability to absorb someone else's powers, to pick a completely random example)

ElvishBard

First Post
Maybe he/she said the wrong thing to the wrong person.

The person could have been at the wrong place at the wrong time and now is wanted, either by the law or a cult or something.

Could have destroyed something precious to a druid without knowing it.

Helped get someone in jail, now they are after him/her for revenge.

Debt could be a reason.

Maybe the PC was in love with a noble's child, and because the noble disliked the PC he put a "hit" on him.

eris404

Explorer
He is being stalked in the modern sense of the word - that is, by a person who is obsessed with the PC and in his (her?) delusional mind believes the PC loves him or otherwise belongs to him. Alternately, the stalker could be a serial killer. :]

The PC is a runaway slave being pursued by his masters.

Another idea: Maybe it only seems like the PC is being hunted; the hunter actually is not a bad person, but perhaps an old friend or family member who is desperately trying to contact the PC, but is always one step behind him or cannot contact him openly for some reason. Alternately, the pursuer is an innocent that hero-worships the PC and the PC has been trying to give him the slip so that the innocent won't be in danger or otherwise get in the way.

The hunter is a monster that is attracted to something about the PC (for example, perhaps a monster attracted to necromantic magic and the PC cast a necromantic spell near it) and will tirelessly pursue him until either it or he is dead.

The PC tricked a demon or sold to it his soul and now it wants payback/payment.

OK, one more - the PC unknowingly has a magical disease or curse that makes him paranoid. To make matters worse, someone really is pursuing him - a wizard, cleric or paladin who is trying to help him.

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Does it have to be for a bad reason? Maybe he is being tracked down to give him an inheritance or to ask for his help?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
"Don't you agree that the king is one pompous fool?"
"No, I think father's alright, but let us get a second opinion from the GUARDS!"

What a stupid PC that is - or would be, if it would have been him, and not a doppleganger who wants to ruin his reputation so he won't have time to get back home, where the doppleganger's peeps are raising hell or something.

Andre

First Post
Cultists are after him because of a misinterpreted oracle/prediction.

Cultists are after him because of a correctly interpreted oracle/prediction.

He's related to someone important and the hunters want to use him as leverage.

He's related to someone important and the hunter is a retainer sent to watch over him.

The hunter has decided the pc is the greatest fighter/rogue/paladin/whatever in the world and wants to become his apprentice. Of course, the hunter is a complete incompetent, which is why he never seems to catch up with the pc.

The hunter imbibed a love potion at just the wrong moment.

ajanders

Explorer
Things the PC knows:
Maybe he knows an obscure feat, and someone really wants a teacher.
Maybe they know an obscure feat and someone things they shouldn't. (You have stolen my master's kung-fu! Prepare to die!)
Maybe she knows an unusual (and now vitally important) language: seriously, how many speakers of Aquan are there in the average fantasy world? Or Aulde Elvishe.
Maybe they witnessed something somebody doesn't want known: they might not even realize they'd seen it.

Things the PC has:
The sword they looted off the orc chieftain is actually a Weapon Of Legacy.
A tailor sold them the wrong cloak by mistake: this one has a secret message sewn into the lining. Sender and reciever both want it, plus some other people who like reading other people's secret messages.

Things the PC is:
Someone wants revenge on your father/mother/sibling/mentor and thinks the best way to get it is by sending bits of your body to them packed in salt.
Family feud.

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
He killed a significant bad guy, who, unfortunately, was pretty high up in a good country's court. So now the good law is after the good person who killed a bad guy, because as far as they know, the bad guy was good, and it was all terribly against the law anyway.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Well, my character was being hunted because another person, who looks exactly like my character, did some things that annoyed someone. Which caused there to be a very high price on my head. I never figured out exactly what the other person did, though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases