[Players Chosen] Do You Have What It Takes To Join The Nameless Legion?

Harvey

First Post
They come from across the far corners of the Material Plane and beyond, a lethal fighting machine whose mere presence on the field of battle is sometimes enough to drive an enemy army away in terror. Hated by its opponents and feared by its allies, the Nameless Legion cares little for respect, love, or courtesy so long as its employers pay on time. Assembled from among the most dangerous creatures known to exist amongst the various planes, the Legion is a mercenary fighting force consisting of many different races.

For complete information on the Nameless Legion, click here. Please check out this document before creating your character…

Players
I am looking for 4 players to be members of a lance of the Nameless Legion. Characters can be members of the legion for years, or a new recruit. I am looking for players who post frequently, and can commit to at least one post a day, if not more.

This campaign is going to be very mercenary-oriented, so feel free to create combat-heavy characters. Characters should be flavors of neutral, and the Legion will not accept any Chaotic or Evil characters. While your character will not know its history prior to joining the Legion, feel free to embellish his/her/its history while a member of the legion. Character interaction will also be a key component.

I am going to hold an open casting call over the course of the next few days. Friday morning (7/8/05) EST, I will select the 4 finalists. I plan on selecting the best mix of characters based on skill sets, interesting histories/ personalities, and on creative characters. I am not locked into 4 characters, so if there are 5 or 6 characters that look great together, then I can be persuaded. But keep in mind I’d like this to be a past-paced campaign, so my intention in having 4 players is to have a high frequency of posters.

The great thing about the Legion is that, if a member dies (or disappears off the boards), a new one can easily be ‘gated in to take its place. So, alternates will be considered during this posting phase too.

Edit: I've decided to add another lance to the campaign, and I will be running two separate games. So I am now looking for a total of 8 characters.

Character Creation
Standard 32 point buy. Starting characters at 12th level or 12th ECL for monster races. Example- You could be a 12th level human monk (ECL 12) or a 4th level minotaur fighter (ECL 12). Characters start with 100,000 gp worth of equipment, weapons, and the like, which will be what is assumed you have gathered over the course of your career as a Legionnaire (so no mementos of your old life). Everyone can take full HP at 1st, and 3/4 HP from then on. For d10s, use the 8/7 alternating method. For d6s, use the 5/4 alternating method.

Races
Because the make-up of the Nameless Legion is comprised of countless races of countless planes, players can choose from a multitude of races. Any races featured in the following books are fair game: Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting/Races of Faerun, Eberron Campaign Setting/Races of Eberron, Races of Destiny, Races of Stone, Races of the Wild, Planar Handbook, Mythic Races, any Dragon Magazine (from #309 on) and Dungeon Magazine (from #100 on). I am willing to consider other races, so feel free to post other requests. Templates, however, must be approved ahead-of-time for consideration. Racial substitution levels are allowed. Arcana Unearthed, Unearthed Arcana and Savage Species are off limits, sorry.

Classes
Because the make-up of the Nameless Legion is comprised of countless races of countless planes, players can also choose from a multitude of classes. Any core class is accepted, plus classes from Expanded Psionics Handbook, Complete Adventurer, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, Complete Warrior, Miniatures Handbook, the Eberron Campaign Setting, any Dragon Magazine (from #309 on) and Dungeon Magazine (from #100 on). Arcana Unearthed, Unearthed Arcana and Savage Species are off limits, sorry.

One note on Prestige Classes: If you wish to choose a prestige class, please note that the Legion does not have any ties with other organizations. Thus, prestige classes like the Red Wizard or the Knight of the Purple Chalice are out, while generic prestige classes, like the Assassin or the Loremaster are in. Prestige classes centered around religions are still in, due to the multiplanar nature of the Legion.

Feats
Feats can be chosen from any 3.5 WotC source, with the caveat that they must make sense within the setting. For instance, Favored In House from the Eberron Campaign Setting would not be allowed, while feats like Least Dragonmark are allowed. The Leadership and the Undead Leadership feats are not allowed. Members of the Nameless Legion also have available to them the following feats:

Cryptic Psychology [General]
During your indoctrination into the Legion, the psychic surgery used to change your alignment and purge your memories altered your psyche. As a result, spells designed to affect a creature's mind sometimes fail to work on you.
Prerequisite: Member of the Nameless Legion, Wis 13+
Benefit: You gain spell resistance equal to 10 + your Wisdom modifier against all mind-influencing spells. The spell resistance granted by this feat does not stack with any other spell resistance the character already has.
Special: If you are no longer a member of the Nameless Legion, you do not lose access to this feat.

Master of Arms [General]
You have fought on many planes and visited countless civilizations, learning their ways of combat and studying their martial arts. When presented with a strange weapon, you readily master its use.
Prerequisite: Member of the Nameless Legion, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (any).
Benefit: You suffer a -2 penalty rather than the normal -4 when fighting with a weapon for which you do not possess proficiency.
Special: If you are no longer a member of the Nameless Legion, you do not lose access to this feat.

Equipment
Owing to the Paymasters' extensive trade networks and connections, the legionnaires carry a wide range of weapons, armor, and magic items. All characters start out with 100,000 gp worth of gear. Any piece of equipment listed in the PHB, the DMG, the Forgotten Realms and Eberron Campaign Settings, and the Arms and Equipment Guide is fair game, as is anything from any other WotC 3.5 book.

In addition, through their travels to other worlds, the Paymasters have learned an ancient technique for crafting magical tattoos that grant special abilities. These tattoos function like permanent magic items that have no space limitation. All characters will receive for free the following tattoo:

Tattoo of Amity
This tattoo curves back and forth across a legionnaire's face and makes him better able to interact with commoners and others he meets while on assignment, granting him a +2 morale bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks.
Market Price: 640 gp; Weight: --.

The Tattoo of Amity is required. Nameless Legion members also have access to the following tattoos:

Tattoo of Steel
This series of intricate tattoos covers its recipient's hands with an inked pattern of metal plates and spikes. These tattoos strengthen the recipient's bones and skin, granting her a +2 natural armor bonus to AC.
Market Price: 16,000 gp; Weight: --.

Tattoo of Pain
This jagged, circular tattoo resembles a saw blade and is inscribed on its recipient's hand. Five times per day, as a free action, the recipient of a tattoo of pain may activate the tattoo by tapping it. When activated, the tattoo glows red and infuses the recipient's next melee attack with a sheath of crackling, crimson energy that gives her a +2 morale bonus to damage for that attack only. The tattoo of pain can only be used in conjunction with a melee attack; it has no effect on ranged or missile weapons. The recipient of the tattoo must declare that she wishes to use the tattoo before making her attack. If her attack fails, that charge is wasted.
Market Price: 3,000 gp; Weight: --.

Note
The Nameless Legion first appeared in Dragon Magazine #304, but has been modified quite a bit...

Last edited:

Brain

First Post
Looks cool. I'm thinking of something using the Scout class from Complete Adventurer. Will post more later.

tyrlaan

Explorer
Are you planning/would you be willing to put together background for our characters from before the mindwipe? I think it would be cool to play a character that has the chance to discover who he or she was before their life as a member of the Nameless Legion.

AmorFati

First Post
Pulp, the Centaur Ranger.

He was recrtuited only a few years ago, and was quickly placed in The Mounted Nightmare cadre. His skill with a double hammer was exceptional, and he soon participated in missions of great importance. He gained his name after a particular nasty battle with a flight of harpies. After an tight engagement with the flying vixens, the Legions Cadre was slowly gaining the upper hand. The cowardly leader of the harpies tried to escape the fray, only to meet a fast end, seeing as her skull suddenly was in thousand pieces. After seeing their leader fleeing, only to be beaten to a bloddy pulp by a big, scary centaur, the rest of the harpies decided to flee the arrea for good.
The lance gave the centaur the name "BloodPulp", but later shortened it to Pulp.

Pulp has since then become a known face in The Mounted Nightmare cadre.

- Aiming for a Centaur Ranger 6, using the Variant Ranger from Complete Warrior (Non-spellcaster). Will go for Two-Weapon fighting, using a Double Hammer from Complete Warrior as well.

Harvey

First Post
tyrlaan said:
Are you planning/would you be willing to put together background for our characters from before the mindwipe? I think it would be cool to play a character that has the chance to discover who he or she was before their life as a member of the Nameless Legion.

That's an excellent idea. I would definitely work it into the campaign if you are so inclined to write it, but it's not a requirement...

Rino said:
i would like in..

just give me time to get a good warrior on his feet

mm2 & 3 allowed?
templates?

A warrior sounds good. MM3 is definitely in. I looked thru MM2 since it is 3.0, and I would allow the following creatures: Abiel (vassal), Abiel (soldier), Bladeling, Helf-Fiend Durazon, Loxo, Neogi (adult), Planetouched Chaond, Planetouched Zenythri, Thri-Kreen (though use Expanded Psionic Handbook stats), and Yak Folk. All others are either too high ECL for 12th level characters or are by requirement Chaotic or Evil.

Templates will be on a case-by-case basis, so if there are any specific ones, let me know...

AmorFati said:
Pulp, the Centaur Ranger.

He was recrtuited only a few years ago, and was quickly placed in The Mounted Nightmare cadre. His skill with a double hammer was exceptional, and he soon participated in missions of great importance. He gained his name after a particular nasty battle with a flight of harpies. After an tight engagement with the flying vixens, the Legions Cadre was slowly gaining the upper hand. The cowardly leader of the harpies tried to escape the fray, only to meet a fast end, seeing as her skull suddenly was in thousand pieces. After seeing their leader fleeing, only to be beaten to a bloddy pulp by a big, scary centaur, the rest of the harpies decided to flee the arrea for good.
The lance gave the centaur the name "BloodPulp", but later shortened it to Pulp.

This guy sounds great. I've always wanted to play a centaur, and am a bit jealous. :) Can't wait to see more...

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Oh man, I got two guys I've always wanted to play...

An undinnar, an ore-cutter dwarf from Races of Faerun, and a monk. Once a peaceful denizen of the deepest Underdark, he was ruthlessly ripped from his community during an illithid raid. He was controlled and used as mineral and gem finder in order to finance the illithids' activities. Heartsore and broken, he barely noticed when the Nameless Legion ransacked the illithid's city on order of one of their enemies. Taken by the Nameless Legion, his memory was wiped away and he was given new life and purpose by learning the art of unarmed fighting. He feels a strange emptiness inside, an emptiness he tries to fill with combat and hunting for treasure. He's found some peace in the Legion, and hopes to advance himself soon.

My other idea was for a lumi (MM III) fighter or fighter/cleric. Though most lumi are unafraid to kill those that offend them, she was unafraid to kill anyone. Lumi are intensely lawful, but somehow she was born with a strange vision of her people's law. A great crusader, her zeal for carnage alarmed even her superiors. She would have been slain, had not she fled to the Legion nearly the moment she heard of them. The loss of her memory caused her little pause, as she was promised blood enough even to sate her.

Whichever one fits (if either do) I'd like to play.

tyrlaan

Explorer
OKay, I have two different ideas I'm working on. The first is probably more acceptable, but I'd be content getting a chance to play either one...

1) Gyre - a human female fighter/dervish. Known for the dizzying dance of death she performs on the battlefield, cutting enemies apart with her pair of magical scimitars. This m.o. has earned her namesake within the Nameless Legion. Gyre served a short stint with the Blood Feasters, her quickness in combat a great asset for assassinations that required excessive speed. She didn't care for the constant need to deal with the undead, so she was reassigned to the Stinging Sand. Taking advantage of her nomadic roots, the Paymasters found her to be a decent, albeit not perfect, fit with this cadre. After her stint with the Stinging Sand, Gyre was assigned to the Shield Breakers. Not specifically known for brute strength, Gyre still has not found the ideal niche for her in the Legion. But then, this could just be a result of the restless spirit of the nomad that burns within her...

2) Wax - a human male cleric/wizard/true necromancer. Wax earned his name from his sickening pale, waxy complexion. Wax began his career in the Nameless Legion as a Rune Bearer with some priestly talents, but even from his humble beginnings, it was clear his eye was on greater knowledge and less scrupulous knowledge. Wax spent all his downtime delving into the secrets of necromancy. Fascinated with the sciences of life and death, Wax has found much power behind the secrets of positive and negative energy. Now Wax is a highly respected member of the Blood Feasters and always has an entourage of undead minions ready to server the Legion...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases