[Players Chosen] Do You Have What It Takes To Join The Nameless Legion?

tyrlaan

Explorer
Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Gyre
[B]Class/Level:[/B] Fighter 5/Dervish 7
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Female
[B]Region:[/B] n/a
[B]Alignment:[/B] Neutral
[B]Deity:[/B] None

[B]Str:[/B] 19 +4 ( 6p. +1 level +4 enhancement)   [B]Level:[/B] 5/7       [B]XP:[/B] 66,000/78,000
[B]Dex:[/B] 20 +5 (10p. +2 level +2 enhancement)   [B]BAB:[/B] +12/+7/+2   [B]HP:[/B] 114 (12d10+24)
[B]Con:[/B] 14 +2 ( 6p.                        )   [B]Grapple:[/B] +16     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] n/a
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2 ( 6p.                        )   [B]Speed:[/B] 40'       [B]Spell Res:[/B] n/a
[B]Wis:[/B] 10 +0 ( 2p.                        )   [B]Init:[/B] +7         [B]Spell Save:[/B] n/a
[B]Cha:[/B] 10 +0 ( 2p.                        )   [B]ACP:[/B] -0          [B]Spell Fail:[/B] n/a

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B] 10    +6    +0    +5    +0    +2    +5*   28
[B]Touch:[/B] 20              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 23
*(+1 insight +2 dervish +2 deflection)

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                 6     +2    +3      +11
[B]Ref:[/B]                  6     +5    +3      +14
[B]Will:[/B]                 6     +0    +3      +9

[B]Weapon                Attack           Damage           Critical      Range[/B]
[i]Normal[/i]
"Scald" or Frost"     +18/+13/+8
"Scald" and "Frost"   +16/+16/+11/+6
   "Scald"                             1d6+1d6(fire)+7  15-20/x2
   "Frost"                             1d6+1d6(cold)+5  15-20/x2
[i]During Dervish Dance[/i]
"Scald" or Frost"     +22/+17/+12
"Scald" and "Frost"   +20/+20/+15/+10
   "Scald"                             1d6+1d6(fire)+11 15-20/x2
   "Frost"                             1d6+1d6(cold)+9  15-20/x2
[i]Ranged[/i]
Composite Longbow, MW STR +4
                      +18/+13/+8       1d8+4            x3            110 ft.

[B]Languages:[/B] Auran, Common, Ignan

[B]Abilities:[/B] 
-Dervish Dance 4/day (lasts 7 rounds)
-Movement Mastery (can take 10 on Jump, Perform(dance), and Tumble any time)
-Slashing Blades (treat scimitar as light weapon)
-Fast Movement (+10 ft enhancement bonus to speed)
-Dance of Death (gain Cleave feat during dervish dance)
-Improved Reaction (+2 to initiative)
-Elaborate Parry (additional +4 to AC when fighting defensively or total 
                  defense)

[B]Feats:[/B] 
Human:     Two-Weapon Fighting
Fighter 1: Combat Expertise
Level 1:   Dodge
Fighter 2: Mobility
Level 3:   Weapon Focus (Scimitar)
Fighter 4: Weapon Specialization (Scimitar)
Level 6:   Elusive Target (Negate Power Attack: foe you dodge against gets no 
                           damage bonus when using Power Attack)
                          (Diverting Defense: first attack from flanked  
                           opponent you're Dodging misses and may hit flanking 
                           teammate)
                          (Cause Overreach: provoke attack of opportunity, get 
                           a free trip attack if foe misses)
Level 9:   Improved Critical (Scimitar)
Level 12:  Whirlwind Attack

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 81      [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 15/7
[B]Skills                      Ranks  Mod  Misc    Total[/B]
Balance                       7    +5    +2      +14 (+2 synergy)
Climb                         6    +4    +0      +10
Escape Artist                 5    +5    +0      +10
Intimidate                    8    +0    +2      +10 (+2 morale)
Jump                         15    +4    +2      +21 (+2 synergy)
Perform (dance)              15    +0    +0      +15
Ride                          5    +5    +0      +10
Swim                          5    +4    +0      +9
Tumble                       15    +5    +2      +22 (+2 synergy)

[i]Untrained[/i]
Appraise                      0    +2    +0      +2
Bluff                         0    +0    +0      +0
Concentration                 0    +0    +0      +0
Diplomacy                     0    +0    +2      +2 (+2 morale)
Disguise                      0    +0    +0      +0
Forgery                       0    +2    +0      +2
Gather Information            0    +0    +0      +0
Heal                          0    +0    +0      +0
Hide                          0    +5    +0      +5
Listen                        0    +0    +0      +0
Move Silently                 0    +5    +0      +5
Search                        0    +2    +0      +2
Sense Motive                  0    +0    +0      +0
Spot                          0    +0    +0      +0
Survival                      0    +0    +0      +0
Use Rope                      0    +5    +0      +5

[B]Equipment:                           Cost   Weight[/B]
"Scald" Flaming scimitar +1        8315gp      4lb
"Frost" Frost scimitar +1          8315gp      4lb
Composite longbow +1, STR +4       2800gp      3lb
Mithral chain shirt +2             5100gp   12.5lb
Amulet of natural armor +2         8000gp
Gloves of dexterity +2             4000gp
Ring of protection +2              8000gp
Vest of resistance +3              9000gp
Belt of giant strength +4         16000gp
Ioun stone, +1 AC                  5000gp
Minor cloak of displacement       24000gp
Tattoo of Amity                       0gp

Backpack                              2gp      2lb
Bedroll                               1sp      5lb
Paper x2                              8sp       -
Pouch, belt x2                        2gp      1lb
Rations, trail x7                    35sp      7lb
Rope, silk                           10gp      5lb
Vial, ink                             1gp    0.1lb
Waterskin                             1gp      4lb
Everburning torch                   100gp      1lb
Climber's kit                        80gp      5lb
Entertainer's outfit                  3gp      4lb
Traveler's outfit                     1gp      5lb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]62.6lb      [B]Money:[/B] 1265gp 6sp

[B]Lgt   Med    Hvy    Lift   Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               116lb 233lb  350lb  700lb  1750lb

[B]Age:[/B] 27
[B]Height:[/B] 5'6"
[B]Weight:[/B] 111lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Blue
[B]Hair:[/B] Black
[B]Skin:[/B] Dark-skinned

Appearance: Gyre is an attractive woman with long raven-colored hair and an incredibly dark complexion, resembling someone who spends excessive amounts of time in the sun. She wears loose, baggy clothing made of thin fabrics. Her pants are black, her blouse is a vibrant green. The sleeves of her blouse have slits that run the length of the arms, through which one can spy a couple of her tattoos. On her right shoulder is the blood-dripping fanged mouth of the Blood Feasters. On her left shoulder is the greataxe with a shattered shield that symbolizes the Shield Breakers. Gyre also has the sandstorm tattoo of the Stinging Sand on the right side of her face. On the back of her left hand is a tattoo of stylized eye of Ra, presumably a remnant of her previous life...

Sitting still borders on torture for Gyre. She is constantly moving, ever graceful. So graceful in fact, that even when she falls it appears as if it was deliberately executed, and executed with style. When one sees her performing her deadly dance of death, they find themselves transfixed by the twisted mix beauty and brutality that she displays.

Personality: Gyre never seems to be comfortable in one place for an extended period of time. This attitude leaks into other aspects of her life; often drifting away from lengthy conversations when something more interesting catches her eye. Her flightiness has probably broken a few hearts along the way.

Gyre happily takes on any mission handed to her and her lance. She's a good Legionnaire...most of the time. Occasionally on missions she will break from protocol or the established plan because she feels she has developed a better plan or feels the protocols are hindering the mission. On more than one occasion she has been reprimanded for these transgressions, but she suspects that the Paymasters keep her around because sometimes her wilingness to work outside the rules is just what is needed.

Background: As with all Legionnaires, Gyre's life essentially starts with her induction into the Nameless Legion. Gyre started as a Blood Feaster. The Paymasters figured her abilities would be best leveraged for assassinations. Gyre proved to be a coldly efficient assassin. During her time with the Blood Feasters she gained her nickname, dubbed "Gyre" by an onlooking lance member who was entranced by the bloody beauty of her spinning dance of death. Gyre performed well enough but seemed to have odd troubles with the undead members of her cadre. If asked, Gyre only answers that undead are creepy and gives a little shiver. What is really behind her distaste for the undead is a mystery to even her.

The Paymasters decided to reassign Gyre to the Stinging Sand as soon as her 5 year term with the Blood Feasters was complete. Gyre was clearly more comfortable in this cadre. Not specifically known for desert survival skills, she seemed to keep up nonetheless. Gyre made many friends in this cadre and got intensely invovled in the rivalry between the Stinging Sand and the Snow Serpents. Things came to a dangerous head when Gyre and Keesha, a frost mage from the Snow Serpents, both competed for the affections of a cavalier in the Mounted Nightmare - a guy named Dra'kan. Gyre and Keesha almost killed each other in a brutal fight (The Stinging Sand gave Gyre 1:5 odds). Members of both cadres broke up the combat before either were killed. The Paymasters let this insubordination go because it didn't damage any property and, ultimately, no one was irreparably harmed or killed.

Gyre has since completed a 5 year stint with the Stinging Sands and, much to the surprise of many of her former cadre buddies, asked for reassignment to the Shield Breakers. Now one year into her time with the Shield Breakers, Gyre continues to excel on the field.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Harvey said:
Hmmm... not that I've ever read. But it would be easy to apply to psionics: ...

It is not, actually.

There is no such feat, because the manifester level for psions is closely tied to the maximum power level they can manifest, unlike for spellcasters, where the two are pretty much completely seperate.

A feat, that improved manifester level, like Practiced Spellcaster, also allows to manifest higher level powers (at least augmented ones, since it would not give the psion more powers, of course, but there are plenty of those available). That's also, why there are so little (no?) items/PrC, which improve manifester level, because of this difference.

It would probably be reasonable to make a feat, that added +4 to manifester level for scaled benefits only (range, duration, power penetration, the few powers, that actually scale with level, etc), but does not allow further augmentation beyond your non-enhanced manifester level.

There is still the Overchannel feat to achieve that somewhat.

Bye
Thanee

Bront

The man with the probe
Thanee said:
It is not, actually.

There is no such feat, because the manifester level for psions is closely tied to the maximum power level they can manifest, unlike for spellcasters, where the two are pretty much completely seperate.

A feat, that improved manifester level, like Practiced Spellcaster, also allows to manifest higher level powers (at least augmented ones, since it would not give the psion more powers, of course, but there are plenty of those available). That's also, why there are so little (no?) items/PrC, which improve manifester level, because of this difference.

It would probably be reasonable to make a feat, that added +4 to manifester level for scaled benefits only (range, duration, power penetration, the few powers, that actually scale with level, etc), but does not allow further augmentation beyond your non-enhanced manifester level.

There is still the Overchannel feat to achieve that somewhat.

Bye
Thanee
Makes sense, it just seemed like an idea for the Fighter/Warmind, so I figured I'd ask. Overchannel/Talented could work (Especialy since I'll get few powers over 3rd). I'll examine my feats to see if I can do that with the character concept.

Someone

Adventurer
I tend to agree with Thanee: a practiced manifester feat is in some cases more useful than a practiced spellcaster because of the multi-purpose powers, like astral construct, inertial armor or psionic charm, that effectively work as several spells, or have augmentations that work as an in-built heighten (like "+1 DC for every 2 points"). In those cases, the feat would grant an effective increase of the power level the character can manifest, not only the manfester level.

In others, like those that have agumentations that simply give bigger bonuses (like thicken skin) or more damage dice (like energy ray) it would work just as practiced spellcaster. But it´s difficult to balance.

Thanee

First Post
Bront said:
Makes sense, it just seemed like an idea for the Fighter/Warmind, ...

It certainly would be. :) Just pointing out why it is unfortunately not easily transferred to psionics.

Bye
Thanee

Harvey

First Post
Thanee said:
Just pointing out why it is unfortunately not easily transferred to psionics.

Good point, and one I hadn't considered. Thanks Thanee (& Someone)!

So, no go for the Practiced Psionicist. Sorry, Bront.

Dakkareth said:
Edit: Ahh, two questions: What about crafting feats? Would I need to go down a level to have the XP for crafting?

Any item that you have the ability to craft (i.e. meeting all the requirements, including spells/feats possessed and caster level), instead of spending the XP, you would purchase that item at 70% its market value. (Using the DMG's method of spending 5 gp per 1 XP point needed to create a magic item). So, let's say you have the ability to create a Periapt of Health (you have the Craft Wondrous Item feat, your caster level is 5th, and you can cast remove disease). Normally, it would cost you 1/2 the base price in gold (in this case, 3750 gp) and 1/25 the base price in XP (300 XP). You would convert the 300 XP into 1500 gp, and add it to the 3750 base, giving you a total of 5250 gp, which ends up being 70% of the base value.

For artificers, I will also allow you to spend 70% of your craft reserve as XP in the creation of items at each level (the other 30% is assumed to be used on items already spent, like that handy Cure Moderate Wounds potion that saved your live in the Khyber), but keep in mind that it must be appropriate for each level's ability. For instance, normally a 1st level artificer has a craft reserve of 20. This leaves you with 14 points of XP you could use for item creation for your starting character, but those 14 points of XP must be spent on scribing scrolls, which would have been the only thing you could have used the craft reserve to create.

Dakkareth said:
And related to this, would it be feasible for a member of the legion to also know the tattoo-crafting art (for example as in unslotted wondrous items or an independant crafting feat)?

Unfortunately, no. The creation method (which from a character build POV does involve a new feat) is a secret known only to the Paymasters. And they aren't really the sharing type, ya know?

Dakkareth said:
Okay, now descending into the bowels of Pandemonium, looking for an inspiration ... :)

Good luck!

Dakkareth

First Post
Quick question: Do items that give a higher int give additional skill points in your game?

... and how do I get these neat little spoiler boxes?

Edit: I have a first draft ready now :)

<see next page>

Last edited:

Harvey

First Post
Dakkareth said:
Quick question: Do items that give a higher int give additional skill points in your game?

Yup.

Dakkareth said:
... and how do I get these neat little spoiler boxes?

Just type "SBLOCK" in brackets, and that should do it.

Dakkareth said:
Edit: I have a first draft ready now :)

Looks cool. I like the bit in italics! There are times that the Nameless Legion "forcibly recruit" members, but they usually constrain it to evil creatures that they remake into good ones. Perhaps Shackler was one?

FYI I'm not going to go through the double-checks of the character sheets until I make the final cut, unless I see something glaring (though I might go through some tomorrow simply because they all look great so far).

Bront

The man with the probe
Harvey said:
Good point, and one I hadn't considered. Thanks Thanee (& Someone)!

So, no go for the Practiced Psionicist. Sorry, Bront.
No problem, that's why I asked here, and I agree that it's a headache. :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Harvey said:
Wait, so If I get a headband of Intelect, it gives me more skill points? Is this from 1st level, or only at the level you get it and beyond? (This is clearly different from the rules, so I just want all the clairification)

Remove ads