[A Chronicle of Ice, Luck and Honour] Behind Spider_Jerusalem's DM Screen

Who are your favourite Chronicle Characters?

Hi and welcome to behind the DM screen for A Chronicle of Ice, Luck and Honour. This is where I will give a quick explanation of the meta-game behind each chapter, the stats of the bad guys and other random things that will enhance the reading.

Things I intend to have here (if there is something that you think is missing from here, or this thread would benefit from, please say - I'm oh so open to suggestions :) ):
The Good, The Bad... and the rest
Stats and roleplaying notes for the different factions in the Chronicle. A little write up for each saying what I wanted to achieve/what they were etc.
Chapter guide
More of a cogs-and-circuitry look at the chapters rather than a straight down the middle chapter guide. What the themes etc were (being very careful not to sound too artsy fartsy) and how it came out in the end. Should be an interesting perspective and will keep up with the SH.

Please feel free to post up your thoughts about this behind-DM's-screen here (appreciated actually, any and all feedback will be replied to), but any real meaty questions should be posted over in the story hour - i need the hits :D .

Anyway, this is under construction so bear with me on this. It will take a while to sort out stats, write out metagame stuff and generally think about this. But in time, I will build a fortress of useless DM knowledge!

Last edited:

The Good

Stats posted here are as of the last time they were shown in the Story Hour. I would post their final forms, but there are simply too many spoilers, even just posting up stats and possessions. So :p . However, I have written up what it is like to DM each player and other stuff. Enjoy.

Milo Whittersbane
Halfling Rogue 3 Sorcerer 1
Str 10, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 18
Hit Points: Not entirely sure. Roughly 20
AC: 18 (+1 size, +4 dex, +3 studded leather)
Attacks: (with Vampire) +2, (with light crossbow) +6
Saves: Fortitude +3, Reflex +7, Will +3
Feats: Stealthy, Dodge
Items of note:
Vampire, Aqualish and glove

Milo Whittersbane was, at his simplest, one of the most unkillable characters I have come across. His player was clever, quick thinking and most importantly, resourceful. It came to a point in my game structure where I could cast my players into situations where I had little notion of how they would get out, but Milo was often the spark to ignite the well-oiled survival machine that the heroes of Ice, Luck and Honour were. You lucky bastards. I had you guys sure-fire-dead on so many occasions. ;)

Something must be said for the comedy relief that Milo engineered, which was startling at times and when the player's were in a rather tight spot, it was often Milo who would trundle out into a Ta'nari crossfire in his trusty Aqualish. (he knew he would reflex save any fireballs that fell his way :( )

Milo also hoarded the magic items, was treasurer, negotiator and buyer for the party. The diplomatic front to the characters (Torious was too narrow minded and Thalin too stubborn), it often fell on Milo to talk his way out of situations. This provided a wealth of glorious roleplay moments, where my much-loved odds were stacked against the players, Milo piped up with an outlandish negotiation for his own safety, and sometimes his companions's.

Milo was overall a somewhat troublesome joy to DM, and I often thought that A Chronicle of Ice, Luck and Honour was told from his viewpoint. It was his sense of chaotic adventure and stupified wonder that really drove the story forwards.

Thalin Vorspen
Human Wizard 4
Str 12, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 10
Hit Points: Roughly 21
AC: 12 (+2 dex)
Attacks: (with masterwork scimitar, Shard) +5, (with heavy crossbow) +4
Saves: Fortitude +4, Reflex +3, Will +4
Feats: Scribe Scroll, Blooded, Martial Weapon Proficiency (Scimitar), Weapon Focus (Scimitar)
Items of note:
Erifeci, Sliverspike

Thalin Vorspen was the serious character of the campaign. His player was a critical part of the party thinking and often provided the logical counterpoint to one of Milo's or Torious's utterly insane plans. His player was very thorough, calculating and almost always thought outside-of-the-box, providing a healthy dose of tactics that I sure as hell didn't expect.

Thalin's player was also a major player on the comedy relief moments, but he was adamant not to let too much slip into his roleplaying. His player was the most focused on creating a real human character, and he thrived on the roleplaying dilemmas that I thrust his way (just wait till he meets Lyanna... ;) ). Thalin was the most sombre of characters, but underneath boiled a real rage, which stems from his father's stoic upbringing in a castle of ice (are you catching the symbolic drift?!). His player did a brilliant job of roleplaying Thalin.

Thalin was difficult to DM. At the beginning of the Chronicle, he had more DMing experience than me (I caught up doublequick though) and sometimes thought in metagame, which did led to problems. But as the Chronicle moved on, and Thalin became a fleshed out character (and I handled everything with a slicker approach), it was brilliant, notably the meatier roleplay, where Thalin excelled. Challenging but equally rewarding.

Torious Mangrane
Aasimar Cleric 2 Fighter 1
Str 13, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 17, Cha 11
Hit Points: Roughly 27
AC: 18 (+5 scale, +1 dex, +2 large shield)
Attacks: (with Freedom’s Edge) +6, (with shortbow) +3
Saves: Fortitude +6, Reflex +1, Will +5
Feats: Martial Weapon Proficiency (Longsword), Weapon Focus (Longsword), Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, Alertness
Items of note:
Freedom's Edge

Ah. Torious. Torious's player was the most inexperienced player of the three, but his roleplaying was fantastic. The antagonistic banter between Torious and Thalin was very real, often straying into metagame arguments concerning a certain course of action, but still sort of in character. Because of his small amount of DnD time, Torious was quite willing to take risks that Milo and Thalin wouldn't touch. This was something that provided so many utterly brilliant moments on one hand and a healthy amount of out and out comedy.

However, because of Torious's recklessness (which I loved, because he often spat in the eye of logic and charged in), he died a few more times that the rest. Shame. You should see that state that he's in at the end of the chronicle. As with everything, I believe things should have side effects, and death is a big one :] .

Torious was played like a strange hybrid between olde worlde knight and a confused prophet. His valiance and courage (often flying in the face of character-death-imminent sequences) made him a real counterpoint to Milo and Thalin, who would have planned out in exhaustive detail which head they should blast in which order, where Torious just yells "For Tyr!" and scampers towards the bad guys.

Overall, he was great to DM (always triggering those what-if? situations that us DM's sometimes scrall in the margins), and advanced from strength to strength as a DnD player as the campaign progressed.

Last edited:

The Bad

Here is a reference to the named bad guys and creatures of note that appear in A Chronicle of Ice, Luck Honour. They are in a rough order of appearance. Characters that haven't really flexed their powers yet are given a spoiler-free run down. :p

Lyle Blackrock
Rogue 3
stats ToBeFound (though nothing out of the ordinary - high constitution and int)
Items of note:
Vampire, Deathwatch goggles, summoning coins (Banedead)

Lyle Blackrock was the sort of villain you love to play. Very human, very evil and very much ready for a second round once his arm was blown off. When Thalin didn't loose a final spell as Lyle disappeared, it set up one of the best moments in the chronicle later on (Thalin vs. Lyle). Lyle worked perfectly because I had designed him as a nemesis for Thalin.

Lyle was something of a plothook aswell. I can't reveal anything as yet, but Lyle's execution certainly has repercussions. Mostly for Thalin. Poor lad. :D

King Doom
Sorcerer 2
stats ToBeFound (pretty awful all round, though notched up a nice Cha)
Items of note:
King Doom's Ring

King Doom just wanted to be like all you humans. He was a sucker for 'collecting' dead bodies and wearing their clothes, attacking cargo trains because he wanted to ride a horse like a human and trying to learn human etiquette. It was such a shame that Milo put a bolt through his head in such short notice. He was created as a fight for Milo.

The Doomguard were really fun to play, and showed Torious a thing or two when he charged in. The whole episode was meant to be fun, slightly camp and funny. It turned out that Thalin and Torious almost died.

Robar
I can't tell you yet - though he mirrors the characters's level progression until things happen. He is a fighter/priest(Kossuth) at this moment in time.
Items of note:
Brass (his fiery shortsword), magical plate, summoning coins and a few other tricks that haven't appeared yet.

For Robar!. I love this guy. Made as an unwholesome nemesis (yes, I'm a nemesi - ? - fan) for Torious, he was one of my favourite characters to DM with. Thoroughly unconcerned with the pain he is causing, Robar casts a burning arc across the north of Faerun. I played him as bullish and uncompromising. He has a target to hit (dead burnt souls) and he intends to hit it. When the characters get a little dialogue time with Robar, I a made him come across as arrogant but a charismatic leader. Evil yes, but all too human.

I would say that Robar is a thorn in the characters' side, but truth be told, Milo, Thalin and Torious are the thorn in his. As with all the best reoccuring bad guys (and Robar is certainly on of those), his plans are continually dashed by the efforts of the heroes, which leads Robar to focus a little more on exterminating the good guys. Yippee!

He really grows as a destructive presence and sticks with the characters right till the end. I'll post up more here as things are revealed in the SH.

The Bear UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Fighter unknown, though the heroes expect a whopper of a level.
Items of Note: Thunderous Warhammer of unknown powers.

Arkella Noreth UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Onyx, modified Shield Guardian
Medium Size Construct
Hit Dice: 20d10 divided by number of constructs in wolf pack rounded up. 4 constructs = 5d10 (roughly 30hps each)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40ft
AC: 22 (+2 dex, +10 natural)
Attacks: Bite +15, Claw +10/+5
Damage: Bite 1d8+8, Claw 1d6+8
Face/Reach: 5ft by 5ft
Special Attacks: Trip, Spell Storing (1 spell can be stored in each construct)
Special Qualities: Scent, Construct, Fast Healing 5, Shield Other, Guard, Find Master, Communicate with animal type of construct (ie: Wolf)
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +2
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 14, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1
Challenge Rating: 11

Please refer to Shield Guardian for any query points, or just ask away - I'm happy to answer as best I can!

Onyx was created by Arkella's late husband as a gift. He was a powerful mage but died rather suddenly. Arkella disappeared and took Onyx as protection. She treats the wolves in a terrible manner, but they afford her communications with wolf populations, which she puts to good use as scouts and in the last six years Arkella has become an extremely competent bounty hunter and tracker.

Onyx is powerful and with the Guardian split across four constructs, makes a very effective defender of Arkella. The multiple spell storing are the other powerful ability.

Gruulth UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Last edited:

...and the rest

This section covers the characters who fall somewhere inbetween the black and white of good and bad.

Mikka Tressak UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Noristour UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Niall Vorspen UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Vaerana Hawklyn UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Errilinth UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Merrick UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Last edited:

post 4 - chapter guide 1 through to 10 UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Chapter 1: Small Beginnings
"You there. Ice mage. Your help is needed"
The start to a new campaign is a challenging time. I had done quite a bit of preperation work for the start and wanted the three characters to have three segments that rolled into one. Thalin's voyage south is something like the opening sequence to a film - grandiose and full of details. I think it worked. Thalin's character was, as mentioned before, the most thoroughly developed and deserved a nice introduction to the world through his eyes.

Half orcs were gruff and unfriendly, wagon trains had limited spaces, people spat at the feet of a mage. This aint no Shire guys. I wanted the world, especially the area near the Glacier to be rough and dirty. No high magic, just trade in furs and racial tension.

The rat mage introduces Erifeci as an item of mystery. He was originally going to be a bit of a NPC, but when I saw the characters get a little attached to the furry guy I knew it was high time to pin him to a cargo train. Poor guy.

Anyway, Milo skids out of the mines and him and Thalin are on the cusp of meeting.

"Kossuth won't claim this life"
The players laughed when I said that there was a burning building with a baby in. But they laughed with the cliche - we were perhaps a half hour into our campaign and I wanted to ease the mood. Thalin and Milo worked well as a team and meta-gaming was kept to a minimum... any that was said came out in the dialogue.

It was a simple test of ideas and approach for the two characters. But of course, that was a flash in the pan compared to the skirmish that followed! And of course, the fabled black bolt heralds the arrival of a bad guy who is easily identifiable and hey, the guy works with goblins, how nice could he be? It was important to leave the first chapter on a cliffhanger. Well, I thought so. The pulpy, comicbook approach to the campaign leant itself to this SH style.

Chapter 2: Three's Company
"To important. Take it to... to Tilverton"
"You are hurt my friend. I am skilled in the arts of healing..."
Interlude Number One: A Tale of Honour
"Careful stranger, you should watch where you step"

Chapter 3: Doom’s Doom
"...from Halruaa to Waterdeep, I find things you need"
"Thief!"
"Perhaps we should leave now"
"Well, Erifeci means nothing on its own..."
"Silver! Silver!"
"What more do you want from us?"
Interlude number Two: A Tale of Luck

Chapter 4: The Eight Blades of Talagbar
"Kill all three, retrieve the staff, then report back to me"
"Why is it closed now?"
"Get that door open Milo! Now!"

Chapter 5: The Early Wyrm Catches the Birds
"Must I die and die again..."
"Full. Locked. Departed"
"Looks like we're guests of honour"
"I, and my new found companions challenge you..."

Chapter 6: A Duel of Shadows
"Aasimar, here is your choice"
"What would you achieve? Glory in Tyr?"
"Discard you martyrdom here, for it will achieve you no glory, only death"
"Unlock... Open"
"FOR TYR!!!"
"This had better work!"
"Only enough to run"
"They cannot be hurt!"
"You will never defeat me mage, my steel is feared throughout the Dales!"
Interlude Number Three: A Tale of Fire

Chapter 7: Trailblazing
"Milo! Torious! Darmshall is burning!"
"Sure you don’t want that sausage?"
Interlude Number Four: A Tale of Fortune
"Hold on. Milo’s disappeared."
"Kill the halfmen, burn the mageling and bring the head of the Tyr-son to me"

Chapter 8: Red is the Colour
"For Robar!"
"What in the blazes are you doing?"
Interlude Number Five: A Story of Wolves
A Story of Wolves was a fun interlude to write up, because the foreshadowing of Arkella needed to be punched into the story as early as possible. She is a tracker by trade and as such shadows the characters until the heroes are quite a way into their travels.

Arkella needed to be introduced as she worked (hunting down clues as to the whereabouts of Erifeci) and something of her powers put on display. She is a tracker yes, but she is a priest by character class - the mouth veil that she wears is part of her faith. Well actually, it hides something.

Onyx is a neat little creation that makes for a few great combat scenes later on in the chronicle. Having your Shield Guardian broken down into four creatures does have the advantage of being able to store a spell in each body (usually Cause Disgusting Amounts of Damage or something like that).

Another nice thing for me is to write about locations that the characters have already passed through and describe the changes that have come about - the battlefield had changed a great deal, becoming more serene and peaceful, but also affected by carrion and scavengers.

"Men who can and will fight, then do so"

Chapter 9: Eye of the Blizzard
"Stay down filthy beast!"
"You shouldn't ask a lady that"

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases