Time For Another Round Of Iron Dm!!!

Quickbeam

Explorer
Sodalis:
You and I would make for an amusing pair in an Iron DM contest. You've explained the finer points of your writing style :), and let's just say that brevity is not my strong suit. My posts are generally filled with an array of fluff, sound, fury and bluster, amounting to a whole lot of hyperbole :D.

mmadsen

First Post
A Few Suggestions

I love the Iron DM concept, and it's quite a crowd pleaser, but the thread, by necessity, fills up with bumps and role calls. Could we edit the Iron DM thread down to just the goods?

Also, lots of people are chomping at the bit to play along. Can we have an unofficial "home game" thread, where people post their entries right after the "real" competition? That is, we could all post our own entries with the same ingredients RG and arcseed just used.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Re: A Few Suggestions

mmadsen said:
I love the Iron DM concept, and it's quite a crowd pleaser, but the thread, by necessity, fills up with bumps and role calls. Could we edit the Iron DM thread down to just the goods?

Also, lots of people are chomping at the bit to play along. Can we have an unofficial "home game" thread, where people post their entries right after the "real" competition? That is, we could all post our own entries with the same ingredients RG and arcseed just used.

Well, when the game is done and I archive it I will prune out all the extraneous stuff - I was even thinking of starting an "Iron DM webpage" with the records of all the past competitions and the future ones. . .

As for the "home game" as long as you wait until both entries are posted AND the 24 hours are up (to eliminate any chance of confusion) go for it. . . feel free to take the initiative. . .

I ask that competitors in a particular round not do this however. . .

Sodalis

First Post
nemmerle:
As for the "home game" as long as you wait until both entries are posted AND the 24 hours are up (to eliminate any chance of confusion) go for it. . . feel free to take the initiative. . .

YEEEAAAHHH!!!!!

I will repost my adventure that was taken off of my last post:

ingredients:
Bones
Earth Elemental
Ghouls
Magic Key
Kuo-toa
Holy Ground

A bunch of ghouls were sitting around a carcass of a fallen hero stupid enough to wander into the graveyard, eating the last bits of meat from his bones. A Kuo-Toa jumps out from behind a bush and grabs the bag of gold from tehfallen hero and run away. Not looking at where he was going, he bumps into a Earth Elemental that was locked out of his house. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a magic key and unlocks the door. Unbeknownst to him, that the door actually leads to Holy Grounds . the elemental thanks him and walks into his new home...

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Sodalis said:
A bunch of ghouls were sitting around a carcass of a fallen hero stupid enough to wander into the graveyard, eating the last bits of meat from his bones. A Kuo-Toa jumps out from behind a bush and grabs the bag of gold from tehfallen hero and run away. Not looking at where he was going, he bumps into a Earth Elemental that was locked out of his house. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a magic key and unlocks the door. Unbeknownst to him, that the door actually leads to Holy Grounds . the elemental thanks him and walks into his new home... [/B]

Boy, I wish I could step down and conceded my position in the semi-finals to you, Sodalis. So concise, and yet so . . . random. :D

Seriously, though, it would be cool to see what others might do with the same ingredients.

-rg

The Caverns of Cynwallon

Note: edited to clean up a few typos. Content remains the same.

Originally posted by nemmerle:
Ok these ingredients are for Joshua Dyal & Wicht
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Paladin's holy mount
Gargantuan fire beetle
Crippled rogue
Flooded mine
Diary
Intelligent Greatsword
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to my computer clock it is now 9:46 am EST - you have until tomorrow this time. . .

The Caverns of Cynwallon

Set-up:
This mini-adventure is meant to take place --at longest-- over the course of one play session, and is meant to be slipped into a campaign as a side-bar to whatever else is going on whilst the characters are travelling through the wilderness. No levels or other statistics are given to accomodate multiple CRs for this adventure, depending on the level of the PCs.

Background: (for DMs only) The little town of Cynwallon is a sleepy little village that probably doesn't appear on most maps. It is a river-side port who's past glory days as a mining boomtown of sorts are long behind it. Today, the inhabitants are indigent farmers and fisherfolk, but they are friendly and good-natured, for the most part. The premise of the adventure is that the PCs, while travelling from one destination to another pass through this town during a time frame in which it is most convenient to spend the night here. Although written with the assumption of a standard pseudo-European campaign setting, a few name changes and you should be able to use it in other types of settings as well. This adventure is also designed to allow the PCs to become as involved or not as they wish, but either way, the final encounter would still happen. Depending on how inquisitive the PCs wish to be, they may know all about Captain Cat at that time, or they may wonder who in the world this strange madman is that's attacking them for no reason as they travel on the road outside of Cynwallon.

However, the history of Cynwallon is a little more detailed than some would think. Cynwallon was once a tin-mining center of great importance. Folks came from all over to work the tin-mines, and they dug too deeply and too greedily, in the time-honored tradition of hubristic miners everywhere. They did not find a sleeping balor under the ground, but hazards of a more natural variety finished the mines off once and for all. As they dug, they found the remnants of dormant volcanic activity deep underground. Twice during the operating days of the mine, scalding steam jets blasted forth from the earth to wipe out scores of miners at a time. And finally, the worst of all, they dug too near the river about 70-80 year ago. The thin rock walls broke and the mines completely filled with river-water. From that point on, the orphans and widows and few remaining townsfolk either moved or took up a new way of life. The entrance to the mines was blocked off with rubble and stone, and no one really knows exactly where it is these days.

Scene I: As the PCs approach the town (from whichever direction your broader campaign dicates they approach) they see an odd sight: a noble, although somewhat bedraggled horse grazing in a small wild meadow. The horse has the battered remains of a aristocratic saddle, and bears torn and smudged symbols that belong to whatever good holy order or god that exists in your campaign world. The horse looks intelligent, and if you have any paladins or clerics in your party, they may recognize it as a paladin's warhorse (DC 20 on whichever Knowledge skill you feel is appropriate, if desired.) The poor horse is limping awkwardly and is somewhat thin and dull. If the PCs decide to try and approach the beast, it will make a half-hearted attempt to run away. The horse cannot run any faster than a standard PC character race, as its limp will hinder it's movement. The DM may, if desired, make a somewhat lighthearted, if also pathetic, "combat encounter" in which the PCs can try to stop the horse by grabbing its mouldering reigns (grappling attack), or nose, or whatever. Hopefully the PCs won't try to kill the poor animal, but if they don't recognize it as a paladin's holy mount, or don't care, then they can do so. It should be a simple procedure: the poor creature is about done for anyway, and will be down to one HD of hitpoints (use a standard paladin's mount and adjust level according to your PCs' levels. However, keep in mind that this isn't supposed to be a tough encounter: just a chance to get some information.

If the PCs stop or kill the horse and search its saddlebags, they will find a mildewed and water-damaged leather-bound book, which turns out to be the diary of one Sir Olney, a knight of (insert campaign specific holy order here.) The poor Sir Olney, if the PCs look at the diary at all, was writing a trip log of his journey to pick up a magical and wonderful sword which was to be delivered to (insert campaign specific big city here, hopefully one located in the same direction the PCs are headed). Apparently a noble of that city was to pay a handsome reward for the delivery of the magical sword, with which Sir Olney hoped to restore the temple of his god in his hometown, which had recently burned to the ground. The last entry, however, what little of it that can be read through the mildew and water stains, mentions river pirates briefly, and his fear that he might run afoul of them in the area of the river near the mines of Cynwallon.

Scene II: As the PCs leave the horse (whether they stopped it and read the diary or not) and continue on into Cynwallon, they will not find much there to do except stable their horses, talk to run-of-the-mill townsfolks (who can give a brief history of the town, if desired) and hole up in the small in, Edrick's Roost. If the PCs decide to stay the night in that inn, and come down to the common room, they can meet the Captain Cat, a mysterious figure (detailed below). If they do not go to the common room, or do not even go to the inn, then they may hear about Captain Cat from the citizens of the town, or they may even be accosted by him in the street.

Captain Cat: Captain Cat is not, of course, the real name of the old scoundrel, but due to his boasts about being a former pirate captain on the river, and his habit of wearing a cap made from the skin of a wild-cat, the locals call this chap Captain Cat, or even Pirate Cat. He's a slightly elderly fellow who talks loudly and somewhat crudely, but the locals generally put up with him anyway, and laugh at his antics. He has found a fire beetle nest, and he makes his living, such as it is, by harvesting the creatures for their luminous qualities, which he barters with or sells to the townsfolks. They generally consider him a bit "touched by the gods," "taken one swig too many of some bad moonshine," "held underwater a bit too long while a'boatin'" or whatever other colorful metaphor you like to describe someone who's not in possession of his full faculties. If the PCs meet him here, they should get the same impression: he will ramble --occasionally incoherently-- about all kinds of things, although most often he will mention how he was robbed by fate of that "poor sod's treasure." If questioned, he will give a few more details: he tried to save a poor knight who had been attacked and wounded in the river, but he couldn't get the fellow to shore (at this point, Pirate Cat may point to his wooden leg: below the knee on his left leg is a cunningly crafted oak foot.) As the knight died, he tried to pass on something important, "his treasure" to Pirate Cat.

At this point, astute PCs who have followed all available options open to them, may start to get the idea that Pirate Cat's "poor sod" is one and the same with Sir Olney and his treasure is probably the magical sword that he was trying to deliver to (insert campaign specific reference here again.) If not, they may decide to investigate Pirate Cat's claim to a lost treasure in the area anyway, or if not even that, they will have to pass that way on their way out of town anyway. So, with some modifications depending on what the PCs have found out and what they actually decide to do, you as the DM can move on to Scene III.

Scene III: On the other side of town, the road leads somewhat near the river shore. There, the PCs will spot someone wading on the edge of the water apparently looking for something. That someone is, of course, Captain Cat. Captain Cat, on seeing them, will believe they are coming to steal his "rightful treasure" from him. If the PCs are able to sneak up and incapacitate him by whatever reason, or if Captain Cat sees them either one, he will trigger (involuntarily, if incapacitated) a magic ring that he keeps on his person. He makes a habit of searching the water with one of his fire beetles wandering around with him: he pokes at it with an old rapier that he carries to keep it going the direction he wants. The ringhe triggers is good for one enlargement spell which will turn his fire beetle into a gargantuan version of the relatively timid creature. This will spook the poor bug, and it will attack the PCs out of panic and fear. If Captain Cat is still up and about, he will join with the beetle. It turns out he's a tougher customer than the PCs probably suppose: he's a high enough level rogue to be a suitable challenge for the PCs. His peg-leg is cleverly constructed (and he's so used to it) that he can (mostly) move about as a normal person, although he will be unable to run (4x movement in combat) and will suffer a -10 penalty to any Move Silently checks.

Let the PCs fight this fight for a little while, then spring the next surprise on them. Turns out that the volcanic activity hasn't been quite so dormant lately after all, and the flooded mines have been heating up and building up quite a bit of pressure. The PCs also happen to be fighting over some of the flooded tunnels. The stomping of the giant fire beetle has loosened the rock that holds the pressurized water of the tunnels in check, and it will suddenly break forth out of the ground at the climax of their battle! Let them make reflex saves to avoid the boiling column of water and dirt, and if they fail give them appropriate damage. In addition, the sudden vacating of all that water will cause the tunnels to collapse underground, and the ground itself will suddenly sag. Make the PCs (and their opponents) take another reflex save or fall 20 ft.

Assuming they are still around, the PCs should now be able to (hopefully) finish off Pirate Cat and his Giant Beetle (if it looks too challenging, you can also have the magic wear off and the beetle returns to its normal size.) Either that, or Captain Cat may be sufficiently "freaked out" by the sudden geyser and collapsing ground that he runs away. Make a DM call on how much the PCs need to finish the fight vs. how much they may need a break by this point.

However it ends, though, the PCs will have found (especially if they're looking for it again) that the shifting of the rock and water has exposed a large, gold-hilted greatsword -- the same greatsword that Sir Olney was trying to transport to (again, insert campaign specific location here) and that Pirate Cat was trying to uncover himself. The weapon is at least a masterwork weapon (possibly with magical bonuses as well, depending on the level of your characters and if that is appropriate) but with a wrinkle: the sword talks. However, the PCs will find very quickly that just because it does so does not really make it intelligent: the sword keeps up an almost never-ending diatribe of stupid jokes and humming to itself. If questioned, it will tell all about Sir Olney (and how he snored all night, and any other scandalous knowledge it may have about him) and his mission to deliver the sword to (you know the drill by now, right?) for a reward. If the PCs can stand to be around the annoying piece of hardware long enough to finish Sir Olney's quest, they are welcome to do so. If not, the incessant talking will probably get them in trouble someday, as the sword has an annoying habit of belting out showtunes while it's owner is trying to sneak past enemy guards, tell embarassing stories while the owners are trying to impress prospective employers, give away bluffs the PC is trying to engage in, etc.

Last edited:

Now that mine's posted, I went ahead and read Wicht's -- great job! Makes me wish I'd taken a little more time to proofread and modify a bit!

Still, I got things to do tonight, so I'll just let it stand as it is, I suppose...

Zappo

Explorer
Amnesia
Island Fortress
Evil Monks
Eggs
Hangman Tree
Cursed Spear, Back-biter
Setting: A small tropical island named Taisalai, ruled by the evil Tjopians.

Geography: Taisalai is small, no more than 40 kilometers across, and is mostly covered in a dangerous jungle. The jungle is very thick and includes many plant monsters. Animal life is limited to birds and insects. The closest land mass is more than a week's travel by boat away, and the sea surrounding it is very rough, making the place isolated, difficult to reach or to leave.
A single town and harbor has been built on the coast; its name is Taesjeli and its people are slaves to the Tjopians. These people live through piracy, fishing. The few water sources are guarded: each well is surrounded by a small wooden fort, manned by two or three Tjopians (6th to 8th level monks) and ten to twenty soldier slaves (1st to 3rd level soldiers).

Ancient History: Taisalia used to be uninhabited until a few centuries ago. Back then, on the continent, two monk factions were warring: the good Sekaldes and the evil Tjopians. The two orders have never been friends, but an ages-old truce binded them. Eventually, the Tjopians (or the Sekaldes, depending on who you ask) betrayed and attacked the other order. The war was long and bloody, but eventually the Sekaldes prevailed and exiled their enemies to the distant Taisalai (hoping that they would be too worried about survival to engineer more evil plans).
When they reached the island after two months of navigation, the prisoners broke free while disembarking, killed the guards, seized control of the ships, and enslaved the sailors. Knowing that they would be killed if they returned, they used the mariners and surviving guards as slaves to secure water sources, find food, and build a village. They also used the ships for piracy and acquired more slaves from the closest nations.

The village has grown into a relatively big town of about a half thousand people, thanks to the costant slavery raids. A fortress has been built in the middle of the village, using up almost all the stone of the island. While the majority of the population is dark-skinned (having inherited the trait from the people of the nations close to Taisalai), the Tjopians have refused to 'contaminate' their blood and are the only white-skinned people on the island. This, combined with the fact that they kill all their children who aren't fit to be trained in their martial arts (that is, those who are neutral or chaotic, or good), has caused severe inbreeding among them. To partially prevent this, the Tjopians seize as their 'personal' slaves any white person they find during the raids, mate with them and throw them in the jungle after the birth of two or three children. There are about fifty Tjopians on the island, and all of them are monks (most between 3rd and 7th level). The best and highest level ones are assigned to guard the water sources or to command pirate ships. The elder take all the decisions.

Recent History: One of the white slaves, named Maklor (5th level fighter), held prisoner in the chambers of the Tjopian woman Kalsera, has managed to win the love of his forced consort. Kalsera kept Maklor with her for eight years, during which they raised a son and a daughter. Unfortunately, the kid displayed a chaotic nature and lacked the focus to become a martial artist, while the girl showed excessive kindness and goodness towards the slaves. Eventually, the elders decreed that the kids had to be killed and Maklor exiled to prevent further corrupting influence from him.

At the execution, Maklor shouted and cried, but he was tied and couldn't do anything. Kalsera, instead, was just watching in silence. When the elder arrived, holding a magical spear which was reserved for executions (the condemned don't deserve to be killed with martial arts), she suddenly jumped at him screaming and attacked him fiercely. More monks rushed to his aid, and Kalsera eventually was subdued. The elder struck here with the spear, but before dying she murmured: "Cursed we are, cursed, for slaying our own children. Betrayed by those they trust the most... the fate we give is the same we receive".

Maklor fell silent, gazing in the void as the elder shook the spear free and murdered the two crying children as well. They took him away and dumped him deep within the jungle to die.

The PCs: this mini-adventure is good for PCs of mid levels. Good PCs should desire to help the slaves to escape; others can be motivated by the need to get away from the island.

Getting started: there are several ways to get the PCs on Taisalai. One is presented here: the island hosts little animals but a wide variety of exotic birds. A wizard desires one of those as a familiar, a sort of parrot, and for this reason he hires the PCs to travel to Taisalai and retrieve its eggs. Knowing well the danger this poses, he pays them well and tells them to reach the island as stealthily as they can, find a nest, pick up a few eggs, and get out of there as soon as possible. He arranges for a ship whose captain is mad enough to travel there and tells them goodbye.

The adventure: The captain is good and, by travelling during the night aided by magical darkvision, he manages to reach the island unseen. He tells the PCs that he will return to pick them up in exactly three days. Unfortunately, right after the PCs have landed on a hidden beach and the ship has left the shore, a Tjopian pirate ship spots it and attacks. The battle is brief; it is too far for the PCs to do anything, the captain and most of the crew are killed, the rest are taken prisoner.

The PCs have no choice but to enter the jungle and look for the eggs and a way out of the island. Encounters in the jungle can include all sorts of natural tropical birds and plants as well as monstrous plants. Soon, the PCs spot a hangman tree, with a half-eaten human body still in its branches. If the PCs get close, the tree will attack them. The corpse is all that remains of one of the slaves sent to die in the jungle. There are more such sights in the jungle, but the PCs can also find wooden forts guarding wells, or hunting patrols. Eventually the PCs meet Maklor. He is being attacked by another hangman tree. If the PCs save him they find he has a blank stare. Maklor's mind simply couldn't stand seeing his wife and children brutally murdered in front of him, and he has completely forgot everything, becoming practically catatonic - he was thrown into the jungle a few hours ago and survived until now through sheer luck. If the PCs talk to him, he slowly starts speaking again, but he doesn't remember anything of who he is or why he is there until the PCs reach the village.

There, the PCs see that all the inhabitants are dark-skinned; if the PCs are white, they seem to always avoid their gaze and lower their head when they pass. There are very few monks in the village, and for now the PCs don't meet any. If a PC tries to talk with a slave, he can learn how the place is run. Maklor, listening, slowly remembers being captured and enslaved, but still knows nothing about Kalsera or his children, and he doesn't remember his name. If a slave understands that the PCs are neither slaves nor Tjopians, he points them to a hut where another slave, named Benh, lives. Benh is planning a great escape from the island, but he lacks the weapons and strength for it. If the PCs gain his trust, he will ask them for help (pointing out that following him is the only way out of the island).

This is the plan: that night, there will be the funeral of a Tjopian woman named Kalsera, who got killed in tragic circumstances. He proceeds to tell the PCs the whole story, and while he does so Maklor simply doesn't listen and doesn't seem interested. Truth is, his mind is protecting itself from the pain by avoiding to listen. Cunning PCs might get suspects if they notice that their newfound friend can't remember a single word of that story. He does remember the rest of the plan: attacking the relatively few monks who are guarding the ships while the really powerful Tjopians are at the funeral, and then mounting the slaves on all the ships and leaving. Without ships, the monks won't be able to follow.

The funeral takes place during the night, at a couple hundred meters from the harbor. There is some light foliage in between, and as it is custom, the scene will be surrounded by torches and bonfires, and the attention will be focused on the rituals, so the monks will be hardly able to see what happens far in the dark. The PCs have the task of stealthily eliminating the monk guards of the harbor. There are slave soldiers helping the guards; if the PCs are dark-skinned, they will protect the guards (they are too afraid to do otherwise), but if they are white they will be confused and do nothing.

Assuming that the PCs manage to kill the monks without being noticed, the evacuation of the slaves can begin. There are ten large ships in the harbor, barely enough to accomodate all the slaves. This is the most delicate part of the operation: getting five hundred people on the ships before the funeral ends. The PCs oversee the operation and will travel on the last and fastest ship, together with the best soldier slaves. When almost everyone is on and nine ships on ten are leaving the harbor, the ritual reaches its climax: the dead Kalsera is lifted to the light where everyone can see her clearly.

Including Maklor, who is on the ship that just left. He suddenly remembers everything and his eyes widen with madness. He screams the name of his beloved and would jump overboard if some of the former slaves didn't hold him, trying to silence him. But it's too late: some of the Tjopians leave the funeral and run at full monk speed toward the harbor. Benh, who is on the fast ship with the PCs, curses and orders everyone to get on the rows and start working hard.

The elder who killed Kalsera is the first to arrive. He could easily jump on the PCs' ships but he knows it is too dangerous. Instead, he laughs and mocks Maklor, and throws the spear at him. The spear flies straight and true towards Maklor's heart, but at a few feet's distance suddenly changes direction and heads towards the elder! The elder is surprised but narrowly dodges it, and then the spear turns again and hits him very hard in the back. The elder was still low on HP from the fight with Kalsera, and the force of the blow drops him to his knees.

At this point, the final battle begins. The Tjopians are stunned from seeing the spear fly back and hit the elder, and some of them think the escaped slaves are being aided by powerful wizards. Still, a couple high level monks and a few low level ones reach the harbor and jump or swim on the PCs' ship before it gets too far and too fast. The PCs have to fight them with the aid of twenty slaves (5 of them are commoners, level 1st to 3rd, and 15 of them are soldiers, level 3rd to 5th, armed with various weapons and light armors). The slaves have seen the monks fight and will help the PCs well, by occupying the squares near them, using the helping other option, and readying actions to limit the monks' movement.

If the PCs still have the parrot eggs, they'd better take care to avoid getting them squashed!

ninjajester

First Post
just so you know, nem, i'm ready whenever. i'm off for the next two days so i may not be checking in as often (ie mornings), but you are free to post the ingredients any time in the next two days and i will have an entry ready by the time limit...

(i guess it's kind of funny that i surf message boards far more at work than at home...)

Remove ads