What would happen if the Track feat was removed?

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
We have a small party that just switched campaign worlds to Eberron. What we've discovered is that with a small party, feats are so rare that nobody is willing to spend them on information-gathering feats such as Track, Investigate, Research, etc.

So what would happen if the feats were removed, and their abilities became options available to anyone with the skill? Would it break or enhance the game in any significant way?

More importantly, would we have more or less fun?
-blarg

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
In a game where it's used a lot, it might break something. In your game, it might be a good fit, though. You can try it out one way, then change it, though.

Jdvn1

Oh, and if your players aren't used to using Track, the trial run might be useless unless you remember to remind your players, "Oh, if someone would Track you could (do neat/pertinent action)..."

Timeboxer

Explorer
blargney the second said:
So what would happen if the feats were removed, and their abilities became options available to anyone with the skill? Would it break or enhance the game in any significant way?

Possible suggestion -- make it like combat options, and have Track, Investigate, and Research available as normal skill actions, but then provide Improved Track, Improved Investigate, and Improved Research, which provide significant and feat-worthy advantages to anyone willing to take them.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
The reason that things like Track are feats and/or class abilities is because it makes it a unique capability of the character who takes it, to help reinforce their niche in the game.

If no-one's playing a ranger or rogue scout-type, there's no need to protect that niche, so you might as well make it a free option. There's still a cost - ranks in Survival - so no need to worry about it being a serious power increase. ;)

Timeboxer

Explorer
Or, patterned off of rogue trapfinding:

Track is now a ranger class ability. Non-rangers can track up to DC 20 tracks (rather than DC 10, as previous without the feat).

Jeff Wilder

First Post
mhacdebhandia said:
The reason that things like Track are feats and/or class abilities is because it makes it a unique capability of the character who takes it, to help reinforce their niche in the game.
That's absolutely right. I love having Track ... when my PC has Track, I always have something to do.

You want to show the value of Track? Throw a wandering monster at your low-level group, then, after they slay the creature, have them find out that the monster is rumored to have a treasure hoard of thousands of pieces of gold. "Hmmm ... if only there were a way to find its lair ... "

Oh, and don't forget that a good enough tracker can learn a helluva lot about past goings-on in a particular locale. (I.e., "There was a mighty duel!")

Jdvn1

Other ideas:
Make Track built into Survival (as per the original idea) and then...
-Give them a +2 at 1st level, and then it increases every... four or so.
-Make the Favored Enemy bonus apply to Survival checks, so Rangers get a bonus for tracking their favored enemy.Already does that. D'oh.

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
How big is a 'small party'? (I have heard the phrase used by a DM to describe a group with six players, not including the DM...) If it is three or more then you might want to leave it as is, for one or two you might want to talk them into getting a dog and having it trained it to track, adding some muscle to the group at the same time. (Because everyone fears a combat beagle...)

The Auld Grump

Remove ads