Low-Magic Communication

Joker

First Post
Hi there,

I'm looking for an effective means to communicate over short distances (up to five miles) relativaly quickly (not nescessarily instant).

The situation is as follows:

The party has a base of operations (a mine) which they share with about twenty allied creatures. Surrounding the mine is a forest in which a ranger and a druid (allies of the party) patrol the forest.
The players will start at third level with a fifth level NPC running the joint. The allies are all between third and fifth level. The druid and ranger are both fifth level.

What I need is a way for the patrolling druid and ranger to communicate with the base in case intruders are spotted.

Any ideas?

Lobo Lurker

First Post
An intelligent crow? The druid can cast awaken on a few flying animals and they can ferry messages. Flying animal companions can carry parchment messages as well.

JimAde

First Post
flags and mirrors both work fine and require no magic at all. Just somebody on duty in a designated spot high up looking for signals.

Lobo Lurker has a good idea about using animals. Awaken is too high level for the characters you've mentioned, but a familiar or animal companion might be able to carry messages as a "trick". Visions of Harry Potter... :)

At night you could use cantrips like Flare and Light to send a quick emergency signal. You could also use hooded or bullseye lanterns to send coded messages (or a rock with Light cast on it that you just cover and uncover with your hands).

Remove ads