Interesting Ryan Dancey comment on "lite" RPGs

Storm Raven

First Post
rabindranath72 said:
Do not worry investing time, lots of us did it and fortunately changed their minds :D

Yes, and many of us found that it took orders of magnitude less time than the "hours and hours" to make high level characters that lots of people moan and whine about. For various reasons, I recently put together a pile of mid to high level characters of all stripes and sizes, and none of them took more than a half an hour to create, even using several optional rules from UA.

Last edited:

Storm Raven

First Post
fredramsey said:
Movement rate for unencumbered human = 12"

Converting for indoor movement = 120 feet

Converting for battlemat scale of 1 square = 5' (and it was, or you could never stand side by side in a 10' square) = 24".

This is where you go wrong. Battlemat scale was 1 square = 10 feet. Check your 1e PHB again. They even give rules for how many characters can stand and fight in such an area (and it wasn't two abreast). Everything else about your post hinges on this erroneous assumption, and hence, is entirely innaccurate.

Turanil

First Post
IMO: Bolferg stalo miniag over sulidonem et aegiris tufat.

Zeratilu ofadlurgis quateth, et pobutis wandoom sokal. So, as retumbaridiis somh, slug at voulbardou, glashek +1 vloubardane. Klanklo klunky! :p

(More later)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Turanil said:
IMO: Bolferg stalo miniag over sulidonem et aegiris tufat.

Zeratilu ofadlurgis quateth, et pobutis wandoom sokal. So, as retumbaridiis somh, slug at voulbardou, glashek +1 vloubardane. Klanklo klunky! :p

(More later)

Yes, but dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi. Nam liber tempor cum soluta nobis eleifend option congue nihil imperdiet doming id quod mazim placerat facer possim assum. Typi non habent claritatem insitam; est usus legentis in iis qui facit eorum claritatem. Investigationes demonstraverunt lectores legere me lius quod ii legunt saepius. Claritas est etiam processus dynamicus, qui sequitur mutationem consuetudium lectorum. Mirum est notare quam littera gothica, quam nunc putamus parum claram, anteposuerit litterarum formas humanitatis per seacula quarta decima et quinta decima. Eodem modo typi, qui nunc nobis videntur parum clari, fiant sollemnes in futurum.

Turanil

First Post
Frame of reference <...> can come up with <...> a hollow, mechanically simple <...> piece with no soul. But if you want <...> just as long <...> that <...> difference <...> into the total <...> that might not be what <...> it might be.
So, in other words:

Eb thgim ti tahw eb ton thgim taht latot eht otni ecnereffid taht gnol sa tsuj tnaw uoy fi tub. Luos on htiw eceip elpmis yllacinahcem wolloh a htiw pu emoc nac ecnerefer fo emarf.

Turanil

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
Yes, but dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi. Nam liber tempor cum soluta nobis eleifend option congue nihil imperdiet doming id quod mazim placerat facer possim assum. Typi non habent claritatem insitam; est usus legentis in iis qui facit eorum claritatem. Investigationes demonstraverunt lectores legere me lius quod ii legunt saepius. Claritas est etiam processus dynamicus, qui sequitur mutationem consuetudium lectorum. Mirum est notare quam littera gothica, quam nunc putamus parum claram, anteposuerit litterarum formas humanitatis per seacula quarta decima et quinta decima. Eodem modo typi, qui nunc nobis videntur parum clari, fiant sollemnes in futurum.
At least someone really understands the problem at hand!! The proofs are obvious, and I can only agree with you. This should CLOSE the debate indeed. :cool:

Turanil

First Post
Of course, to fairly conclude the thread, I think it's good that I quote myself:
Alien Buffoon said:
So, IN ALL EVIDENCE, those who critique the fact that they don't have to prove anything that wasn't said prior to their former statement, while obviously this hasn't been debunked, as whether one would consider true or false is now irrelevant, so the proponent of the former opinion are misled but totally unaware that what they pretend shouldn't and cannot be held as proof whenever the real subject is not about the content but the form, so rule-lite or rule-heavy rules (uber alles).

SweeneyTodd

First Post
fanboy2000 said:
If a group of gamers has never played together, wouldn't a rules-heavy game have more non-fun rules arguments than a rules-light game?
Nah, see, that was one of the assumptions, that whenever gamers get together they're going to argue about the rules. The idea was that rules-heavy games arbitrated those arguments better. (Yes, that was brought up as part of the study.)

I feel pretty lucky to have a group that doesn't argue much at all, much less about picking up heavy things or jumping over pits, so I figure the study's not relevant to my experiences regardless of what it says. :) We play rules-light, it works for us, we have fun. Why I decided that expressing such things happen through arguing with people in this thread is beyond me.

Turanil

First Post
Yourself said:
Blah blah blah as well as blah blah blah.
So, after having read ALL this thread, I finally realize that YOU are definitively RIGHT. Not that the others are wrong, mind you. But obviously, you are right. I am so glad to have changed my mind and accept the truth. At least, I will be able to game in peace. :)

So now, that we all know that everything YOU said is true, we are pretty much done with this, and we must all thank you. :)

So: thanks everybody for coming, YOU were right and opened my mind to a new level of gaming. For all of this you are now praised in our prayers. Your contribution was invaluable, and after 1000+ posts, the TRUTH is eventually standing in front of our eyes in all its golden beauty. So, thanks to the LORD. :)

The beers and free tickets for Gencon are given at the exit. :cool:

Thank you everybody! :)

Remove ads