Interesting Ryan Dancey comment on "lite" RPGs

Ourph

First Post
buzz said:
* Which, BTW, would not affect a jump DC; the PC would smack into it before they even got to make the jump. :)

No no no no.....the invisible barrier goes in the middle of the chasm, so that the PC smacks into it halfway through the jump and slides into the pit. Otherwise, the pit monster would go hungry. :p

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Psion said:
Flurry:
n. 2: A sudden burst or commotion; a stir: a flurry of interest in the new product; a flurry of activity when the plane landed.

I'm not sure what you are after here.

I am not 'after' anything. I just think that the community of gamers who prefer games that are 'ighter' than 3e is pretty well established, and is not a 'flurry' or a 'new' phenomenon. (The fact that there are now more products catering to this segment of the market is perhaps 'new'.) By using terms like 'rash' or 'flurry', you appear to imply that the interest in such games is some kind of 'fad'.
Psion said:
You may see it that way, but I don't. I feel as if I am on the defensive.

That was exactly my original point. Many fans of C&C (or other 'lighter' games) feel 'defensive' at ENworld. The fact that you 'feel' that you are on the defensive is the result of your own preferences and gaming commitments -- and your response to what you *perceive* to be attacks on them.

Psion said:
But I see a few argumentative C&C fans that pop up here and can't but restrain themselves but launch all assault on my choices in game.

Well, there is immature behaviour on both sides IME -- many of the attacks on C&C, rules lighter games in general, have been pretty hostile and unjustified. (I'm not accusing you of taking part in such attacks, I am just pointing out that the lack of respect isn't one-sided.)

Ourph

First Post
Psion said:
The codified modifiers are a tool for participants who realize that GMs are human, too.

Which is exactly my point. It doesn't matter whether you're playing D&D or C&C, the same imperfect human being is running the game in either case. If the rules empower a D&D DM to set the final DC and a C&C CK to do the same and you feel you cannot trust that human being to be fair, impartial and reasonable while playing one of those rulesets, would you really feel differently if you simply switched games? Would the reverse be true (i.e. - would you stop trusting someone who had shown themselves to be fair, impartial and reasonable if you switched games)?

fredramsey

First Post
Tee-hee. 10 second round. Wow.

1st Edtion AD&D, bub. 1 minute rounds. And the inches in 1st Edition AD&D had absolutely nothing to do with a battle mat. Lookit the @#$% up.

buzz said:
So you played on half-inch squares? IIRC, 1e is all 1" = 10'. And all your characters were unencumbered humans? Doing nothing but moving each 10-secoond round? And you never had to use segments?

If positioning matters, you're talking tactical. 1e had both positioning and facing, ergo, tactical (IMO).

Last edited:

Akrasia

Procrastinator
BryonD said:
You know, I really don't see that much interpreting was required to get the attack tone of Ace's comment which just a few posts prior you quoting expressing your complete agreement.

I merely pointed out that Ace's observation was supported by my own experience. I would not have expressed my own experience in exactly the same way that he did, but I did find that it rang of truth.

What is your problem with that?

More generally, I *do* think that it takes experienced players to enjoy a 'rules lighter' game. Inexperienced players simply need more structure. Moreover, older players have less time to devote to RPGs. Hence it makes perfect sense to me that older (30+) players who are experienced with RPGs might be attracted to 'rules lighter' RPGs.

BryonD said:
FWIW I found the comment to be laughably at odds with multiple personal experiences.

You are legion?
:\

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Ourph said:
No no no no.....the invisible barrier goes in the middle of the chasm, so that the PC smacks into it halfway through the jump and slides into the pit. Otherwise, the pit monster would go hungry. :p

Even then, it's not modifying the Jump check.

And if the PC didn't "know" he could easily jump across, he might be more cautious and thus discover the invisible barrier. :(

There you have it - conclusive proof that rules-heavy/robust/sufficient systems feed pit monsters better. :D

JohnSnow

Hero
And of course the primary activity of Castles & Crusades fans is to be not Pro-C&C, but anti-3e. In other words, they crop up and throw out their two cents about how the game "should be." Since the intro to that game's player's handbook contains some of this derogatory language about the "current edition," it's clear that C&C's creators feel that bashing 3e is necessary to sell C&C. So it's not surprising that its supporters adopt this stance. Then they cite, as a source, Gary Gygax, who is on record as saying that 3e is not the game "he invented," and that it lacks the "elegance" of his creation. Mr. Gygax is entitled to his opinion, and certainly the first part of the statement is true (that 3e is not the game Gary invented anymore).

So the C&C proselytizers show up, screaming about how C&C is "better" than 3e, and even make statements like "rules-heavy games are intended to appeal to children. IME, Real Gamers (TM) like deep-immersion storytelling and only need a minimal amount of rules."

I could easily counter that with the following statement: if you think the D&D rules are too complicated, you have a bad memory and/or you can't do math. However, that is obviously just being pejorative and childish. Personally, I don't need a game system to tell me how to roleplay. What I would like it to do is provide an appropriate conflict-resolution system for the situations that arise. Ideally, that resolution system will provide logical, believable, and consistent rulings. Let me repharse that: the SYSTEM (if correctly followed) will provide logical and consistent rulings. Obviously, some situations are going to be "outside" the system. But ideally, that should not be the case the majority of the time. If you're constantly encountering a situation the specifics of which are not covered by the system, you either make up a rule that becomes part of your game (adding another rule to your game) or you handwave it differently every time and your game isn't consistent. If you have a very good memory and can make up a rule for every situation that arises, and recall that rule the next time the same situation arises, you're a walking rulebook...or a professional game designer.

Gygax, for the record, may very well be one of the few people in this latter category. By contrast, most DMs, despite their opinion of themselves, are not.

Can't we as gamers just accept that some people prefer "rules-heavier" and that others prefer "rules-lighter" without applying value judgements?

Ace said:
I am also of the opinion that younger gamers (12 to say 24 maybe) want and need more rules. Not only do they often have (in case of the kids anyway) less social maturity and dispute resolution skills the type of game they need is different

Younger kids want and need conflict resolution driven games like most D&D -- kick in the door-- kill the critter-- take stuff -- power up-- repeat is nearly an ideal set up for them. They also often have more time to play and prep so the rules help them

Gamers as their tastes change often find this model less satisfactory.

Older gamers in particular (30+ ) often have less time or interest in the mechanical set up of games and many are able to handle a more complex social contract.

I guess not.

Is a complex social contract that produces cooperative storytelling a game? Or is it interactive theater?

I would argue that a good DM and their, presumably, intelligent players learn the rules and don't have to keep looking things up. This DM ad-hoccing can be accomplished without a new game system. Of course, that wouldn't give people any incentive to buy books from Troll Lord Games. Seriously, other than its pseudo-THAC0 skill system and its very elegant saving throw system (which I hope D&D adopts), what does C&C ADD to the d20 experience?

Just curious.

EDITED: Ace, that would be the text I just quoted.

Last edited:

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Of course you do. The poster you responded to just said "rules-light games are for mature players; rules-heavy games are for immature players."

It appeals to your inner snob (which we all have).

My snobbishness is not 'inner' -- it is a permanent visible aura.

Remove ads