Hall of Many Panes

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Col_Pladoh said:
The last corrections to the map for the Free Town of Yggsburgh and its environs have been sent off to Darlene, so the whole just might make GenCon Release :heh:

Sounds good! I'm looking forward to receiving this tome. And it'll be great to see another beautiful Darlene map.

Col_Pladoh said:
What is your favorite cusine? Mine is Italian (Northern preferred), then Chinese, French (excluding nouville), and then perhaps hungarian. I really enjoy much english cooking--crown roast of beef with yorkshire pudding, leg of mutton, mutton chops wrapped in bacon, steak & kidney pie (with lamb kidneys included), and a plum pudding or a trifle for desert. Good wines assumed in all cases...

Cheers,
Gary

I love all those kinds of cuisine as well. However, overall, my favourite kind of food is Indian. I also love Thai and Vietnamese dishes.
:D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JRRNeiklot said:
Yep, that's the one.

Bah!

After all my agonizing, you didn't supply any words of wisdom that I could purloin and pass on to others as if from my own perspicacity :lol:

"Fake it in a pinch," seems to be the best I can come up with :\

:heh:
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Melan said:
Only perhaps? :uhoh: ;)
So many finely prepared dishes for dining, choosing a fourth favorite cuisine is difficult, Hungarian, English, Moroccan-Middle Eastern, Indian, Spanish, Japanese, Thai and Korean even.

Choosing a wine is far easier: Bordeau or Burgundy of Grand Cru Class, or a fine Champagne.

And is there another cognac other than Goldschmidt & Rothschild ;)

A Tokay is nice as a desert wine, of course :)

Cheerio,
Gary

P.S. For those desiring to sample some excellent Hungarian food, I urge a visit to Charda in Manhattan

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Bah!

After all my agonizing, you didn't supply any words of wisdom that I could purloin and pass on to others as if from my own perspicacity :lol:

"Fake it in a pinch," seems to be the best I can come up with :\

:heh:
Gary

Lol. Sorry, I need to be led by the nose. :)

NojBad

First Post
Hi S'mon :)

S'mon said:
Well like I said, you have some Panes with incredibly tough mooks (like War-8 Mongols listed as CR 7)

As noted in the pane's introduction the Krolykki and Auwat warriors are modelled on those led by Tamerlane (Timur a’ling) and are intended to be a tough and frightening bunch.

who yet are so ill-equipped that they are practically invulnerable to each other.

Well, the equipment is much like that one would expect such warriors to have. If you want to equip them with masterwork and/or magical gear then the material in the introduction to HOMP proper can be used. I don't see how they are invulnerable to each other. As any group of similar individuals, no matter what their level or equipment might be, they are equally matched. Given their low ACs Power Attacks can be made freely and any duel will likely be wild and bloody.

And where did they all get their XP from?

Where did real life warriors of that sort get their experience from? A life in the saddle, constant raiding and warfare, etc.

If you'd made them War-4s, say, it wouldn't have harmed my credulity - as it is it looks to me like I'll probably have to modify most of the stat blocks if I want to run the scenario.

If they seem wrong for your campaign then you should change them. I can only say that to have made then weaker, or to have equipped then with magical gear, would have seemed wrong to me and would have gone against the spirit of the scenario.

As it is if the party are clever they need only fight Buvrad the 10th level barbarian and later on quickly kill/capture a couple of guards. Of course if you decide to expand the adventure as suggested in the pane's description you might want to create a lot of detailed warriors and the Krolykki and Auwat stats can serve as the base for that (or not :uhoh: as you desire).

I hope that helps :D

Cheerio!
Jon

NojBad

First Post
Akrasia said:
I think that if the GM makes the nature of the module very clear to players up front (viz. that it will test their wits as players, and not the mechanics of their PCs), and they are fine with that, then it should be a lot of fun.

Just to clarify things, the adventures are very varied, some test the wits of the players, some the mechanics of the PCs, but most do both :eek:

Jon

NojBad

First Post
S'mon said:
Any usable advice welcome. :)

Okay, with the caveat that I think the adventure is best run as it is, here are some thoughts on how to pull it apart and run each pane separately from the whole:

A lot of the adventures can be run with very few changes to their set up. Have the party hired to perform a certain task, change the item the party needs to locate in order to exit the pane into a treasure/NPC/lost bit of knowledge or whatever that their patron needs.

Those that are bizarre and/or highly magical can, as has already been suggested, be magical traps the party is hurled into - perhaps they are exploring the manse of a crazed wizard or the like and such traps are dotted here and there. as the wizard feared he or an apprentice might get trapped in the weird dimensions accessed by the traps he left an item in each that would allow for a safe return.

Some of the panes have a mutual theme, being at sea for example, and with a little effort could be strung together as a series of encounters and adventures.

If you'd like to keep the basic set up but allow the party to turn down or fail in some panes, or go on other adventures in-between, then have the Mors be searching for the gemstones stolen from the Fairie Queen's necklace. Each has been scattered to the four winds by a rival deity who has put the blame on the Alfar trickster god. From time to time he appears to the party and requests that they pass through a pane that he conjures forth then and there and locate the gemstone (which of course will be the item required to leave the pane too). He mentions that the hero McGregtim has become lost trying to perform this quest and asks the adventurers to try and locate him during their explorations too.

To add a bit of difficulty then have Gwynn and Bili be the real perpetrators of the theft, you might have them send their own team of adventurers to stop the party both inside and outside of the various panes.

Just some thoughts, as I said the adventure will work best run the way it is written :)

Jon

NojBad

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Well... The fact is that my brain was twisted like a mobius strip when I came up with the scenario, and my head still aches when I recall LMing it for the group.

Aagh!!! The Mobius Strip Pane :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:

Jon :heh:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases