House rule "sets" for Castles & Crusades

Mythmere1

First Post
I have been thinking about houserules, since C&C is designed to have houserules built into it. I was grousing to myself that there's not a good compendium of houserules yet, and then thinking that reading one would be sort of a pain in the butt, and then I had the thought (it's a thought that re-awoke, actually) that it would be interesting to see a compilation not of individual house rules, but of "sets" of them. Particularly if they were divided into areas like "combat rules," with all of a particular CK's combat rules grouped together.

Then, to boil the similar ones together so that there were a few "schools" of play, so that groups playing in a particular set of house rules would be able to identify the ruleset they're using.

Anybody have thoughts on this?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I like your proposal, Mythmere.

I have all my C&C house rules in a single document, and would be happy to contribute.

:cool:

scadgrad

First Post
And here's mine...

Mythmere, just to remind you, our deadline for manuscripts for the Society PDF is coming up (on the 10th). From what I can tell, you and I will probably be the only ones who submits anything for this first "issue."

Attachments

• BraxusC&C_houserules_screen.pdf
    172.5 KB · Views: 442

Mythmere1

First Post
Hey, Scadgrad, I think I extended the deadline to the 15th for the CCS Gazeteer, so we might pick up another submission or two. On my submission, I uploaded a map that looks like a 4 year old did it, and fixed the format for layout.

I'm not ready to try and figure out how to do the house rules thing yet, because I've got a lot of C&C projects in the hopper between my site, the CCS Gazeteer, getting ready for Mythmere's Wondrous Resource to go on the TLG website, writing my M&T review (done!), and actually running a game.

However, it's an idea for the next generation of things I do, perhaps even in the next Gazetteer.

S'mon

Legend
Here's a set I'm currently looking at:

I haven't settled on my C&C house rules yet - probably:

1. A defense bonus to AC vs 1 attacker equal to character's Attack Bonus/2. Makes sense & cuts down on need for magic AC-boosting gear.

2.Maybe add amount by which attack beats AC to damage. One problem with C&C above low levels is that weapons don't do much damage and there are few ways to increase damage. Have "20s" double all damage.

3. Increasing Rogue & Assassin attack bonuses so they match Clerics, at 1/2 levels. I'm not sure why they're so low - and if I give an attack bonus-based AC bonus they would suffer further.

4. Making all casters spontaneous casters from a limited list. Spontaneous casting is a 3e innovation that only brings good things IMO.

5. Fate Points - I use these in 3e and would definitely keep them.

6. Movement - make this fuzzy, avoid square-counting. Use it for relative speed but not "You're 1 square short, sorry."

I'll also likely make levels past 12 "Epic".

Turanil

First Post
S'mon said:
I'll also likely make levels past 12 "Epic".
Can you expand on this? What would be the difference betwen a 13th level fighter normal rules, and a 13th level fighter "epic" houserules?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
S'mon said:
4. Making all casters spontaneous casters from a limited list. Spontaneous casting is a 3e innovation that only brings good things IMO.

Agreed. :) You might also look at the spells readied system from Arcana Evolved. That's a nice compromise between preparing spells and spontaneous spells, giving the best of both worlds.

5. Fate Points - I use these in 3e and would definitely keep them.

Is this like action points in Eberron? I'm adding this into my own game as well, with the idea that instead of having so many points to spend per level, there would be about 2 points to spend per game at 1st level, increasing by one every 4 levels.

S'mon

Legend
Turanil said:
Can you expand on this? What would be the difference betwen a 13th level fighter normal rules, and a 13th level fighter "epic" houserules?

Basically cap the world at 12th, any advancement beyond that would require epic quests etc. 12th levellers would get powers for XP, make magic items, etc.

Remove ads