reference for cutting Astral Projection silver thread

daBooj

First Post
Hello,

I'm playing in a fun game right now. The group started out as a good, typical party. A player had to leave for the summer, so the rest of us rolled up new EVIL characters and are now going around the same world undoing all the good guys have done. In the end we will have a nice confrontation.

So the evil chars are all monsters. I waited till last to make mine, and the party needed a cleric. (have frost giant fighter, xill rogue type, doppleganger assasin, lich sorc, mind flayer wiz (dm doesn't really like psi), gyth monk). Wanting something to hold his own, I made a drow/nightmare taurian cleric. Talk about having fun trying to roll up a character...

So, she gets Astral Projection and Etherialness as a 20th lvl spell caster. We've worked out the etherial plane and neither the xill nor I am pleased that everything we come to has true seeing and does everything with force type spells, but... watcha gonna do...

Next, I've been working on figuring out all of Astral Projection. I've read the description. I've read as much as I've found here. I know what I need to do. But the DM is currently ruling that any magical weapon can attack that silver thread as he doesn't have any other rules in front of him.

QUESTION:where can I find the rules in the books to say what exactly can and cannot cut the silver cord made in the astral projection spell?

should be: astral dreadnaught, astral storm (forget name exactly) and the githyanki sword, right? But where exactly does it say that these are the three things? If the DM rules that magic weapons can cut the cord, that's fine (may make the game more fun), but... it would be nice to show him what the books say.

also,
QUESTION:is the silver cord at all times visible? Esp. on one of the duplicate bodies. Is it only visible in the astral plane (ie. stretching astrally between the material body and the duplicate body), or does this duplicate body just have a silver cord running behind it getting caught on everything (seems silly, but... you know...)

Thanks for the help, (hope I've done alright, first post and whatnot)

Scharlata

First Post
Hi, and welcome to the Board.

daBooj said:
QUESTION:where can I find the rules in the books to say what exactly can and cannot cut the silver cord made in the astral projection spell?
Manual of the Planes, p. 49: Psychic Wind [see MoP, p. 51], attack from an Astral Dreadnaught [see MoP, p. 159], or a blow from a powerful Githyanki Sword [see MoP, p. 174, Silver Swords].

daBooj said:
QUESTION:is the silver cord at all times visible?
Manual of the Planes, p. 49: streches back (from the traveler's skull) 5 feet, then merging with the Astral Plane.

Kind regards

werk

First Post
found online...

Astral Form
Travelers in astral form cannot be slain normally. If the form is killed, the astral traveler's soul returns to its original body, which remains unharmed.
Severing the silver cord that connects the form to the main body kills an astral traveler's normal body. Only a few circumstances, such as the psychic wind of the Astral Plane, an attack from an astral dreadnought, or a blow from a githyanki silver sword, can sever this cord.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases