Rule-lite or Rule-heavy describe THE perfect ideal ruleset

Turanil

First Post
Okay, this is the period of controverse about rule-lite versus rule-heavy. However, I am not sure that everyone speak about the same thing regarding what is rule-lite or not, and what game one considers rule-lite and why.

So I propose another treatment of the question: lets forget about whether it is rule-lite or rule-heavy, and instead tell us (in generic terms) of the aspects a perfect ruleset should have for you to be happy with it.

I will begin with my ideas of the perfect ruleset:

-- 15 archetype classes well defined + 3 generic classes that let customize a lot. (For example: of having D&D classes + Grim Tales classes).

-- Players can customize their characters and make them unique through a large set of options, yet a simple PC or NPC can be done quickly and easily. (For example a system of optional feats for which you must pay additional XP, and which are simple to use in terms of game mechanics)

-- A simple resolution system of most task involving a limited number of dice rolls. (For example: d20 rolls over a DC, and examples of DCs are given for many various tasks, all be defined along a scale of easy / average / difficult / tough / etc.)

-- Tables and extensive listings so for each particular event you have a pre-determined rule that spare you to have to invent and think about it. However, it must use the basic task resolution system, and be simple to find and use. (For example: if a person is turned to stone, what becomes its weight, how difficult it is to bring the statue back to stone, what the % of finding someone to turn him back to normal, and what the cost of it.)

-- Combat is kept simple, with a simple rule taking into account that a wounded character is less effective. Special stunts and tricks need to spend an action point, so such things do not continuously slow down the game, yet remain possible in exceptional circumstances when it would make sense and be intersting.

-- There are clear and simple rules to create your own new spells, new classes, or even houserules, etc.

-- Book layout emphasizes ease of reading, has extensive index, etc. I like to have only one monster per page for example.

-- Flavor text is nice, but should be kept short and dense.

-- Economics that looks like coherent!

S'mon

Legend
Hm, basically Castles & Crusades, but balanced classes with the same XP chart, and use the regular d20 "Target DC" system rather than the "start with either 12 or 18" Siege Engine.

greywulf

First Post
ok, I'll bite. Here's my take:

- A small selection of core classes. 6 is a good number. Each with unique and clearly defined niches and enough flexibility to make every character within that class unique too.

- A simple sety of core game mechanics that can be explained to a complete newcomer in five seconds flat

- Character generation in under 5 minutes

- A clearly defined progression route for characters to develop

- enough 'core' monsters for a lifetime's gaming, plus rules for monster and NPC creation.

- Clear and concise magic rules

- Optional extra crunch that's clearly marked optional.

- all in one book!

Ignoring the fact I've just described the original D&D Cyclopedia to a tee :grin:, I rate ST Cooley's OGL Fantasy Lite booklet over at http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=2748 to be about the best ultra lite d20 character generation there is. Perfect for one-shot intro games, and small enough to slip into a side pocket for weekend-away gaming. The only fault with it is that there's no smattering of monsters included - Add in 20-odd core critters (goblin, orc, blink dog, gnoll, troll, beholder, dragon and the rest), and it's a complete game in an A5 booklet. That's an easy thing to fix though.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
FREd (HERO) comes close, although I'd prefer more in the way of preconfigured archetypes. Although that's pretty much what HERO supplements are for.

Turanil

First Post
JRRNeiklot said:
C&C, add in the AD&D 1e classes and multiple attacks for warrior classes.
Do you mean adding the 1e ranger and paladin to the classes of C&C?

Campbell said:
FREd (HERO) comes close, although I'd prefer more in the way of preconfigured archetypes. Although that's pretty much what HERO supplements are for.
I don't know anything about HERO, and probably only a minority on these boards know this game. It would be fine if next posters could be more specific when answering the question at hand. Thanks. :)

Psion

Adventurer
Campbell said:
FREd (HERO) comes close, although I'd prefer more in the way of preconfigured archetypes.

Well, yeah. Hero's defining characteristic is that it gives you control of the mechanic. But it would have been nice to be able to construct meaningful archetypes. I know HERO 4e package deals had problems, but IMO they gutted them in 5e.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Turanil said:
Do you mean adding the 1e ranger and paladin to the classes of C&C?

I don't know anything about HERO, and probably only a minority on these boards know this game. It would be fine if next posters could be more specific when answering the question at hand. Thanks. :)

Of course I'd argue that only a minority of the board members are actually familiar with C&C. As to why I dig HERO, it's largely due to the flexibility of character generation that HERO provides, and the fact that I can use it acrosss multiple genres. Mutants and Masterminds comes close, although its first edition had some balance problems and a lack of flexibility across its pool powers. If more support were given for other genres M&M could become a worthwhile generic system. I still use M&M for less gritty superheroic games reminescent of DC style comics.

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
From some of the lists given up above, I would say that HARP comes close on a number of items. :D

Last edited:

Captain Tagon

First Post
I'll second the whole deal with HERO, especially using the suppliments for archetypes.

The sheer flexibility is great and works well as a change of pace from class and level based games.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases