Interesting Class + Monster Combos...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I think one of the coolest things 3e lets us do is add class levels to monsters in a reasonably balanced and predictable way. Some of these are obvious -- goblin rogues, gnoll barbarians, drow assassins and whatnot. Others, are not.

So, tell me what unusual class + monster combos you've used in your campaign, and how it made sense in your setting. Everyone jokes about the intelligent Gelatinous Cube cleric, but what have we actually seen in action? And what was the reason for it?

I thought of this thread because recently I found myself making a high-level vargouille druid...0.o...:)

Gomez

First Post
That made me think of a Gelatinous Cube barbarian quivering in Rage! :p

Armored troll fighters always seemed like a nasty combo to me.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Lizardfolk Fighters or Druids ... the +5 Natural Armor + Full Plate + Large Sheild = OWWWW, especially at low levels.

I would like to play a Lizardfolk Druid, myself, as they synergize well empowering their own natural weapons and the like. You can get around the armor problem with the all-too-cheap Dragonhide armor.

I also like intelligent magical-beast spellcasters ... Worg Cleric? Shwa?

--fje

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Aurak Draconian (DLCS) Paladin/Eldritch Knight. Absolutely brutal with those charismatic ray attacks.

Hobgoblin Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Martial Arts Master (Blood and Fists). I can't see hobs giving a fig about the monk class's spiritual mumbo-jumbo. Kickboxing, on the other hand...

Kraken Monk. :]

Rakshasa Eldritch Knight. They qualify 'out of the gate,' as it were, and get to advance all of their abilities.

Rakshasa Ninja 1/Rogue 1/Arcane Trickster. Not quite as easy to qualify for as eldritch knight, but even nastier...

Treant Druid. Cliched, perhaps, but plays with player expectations when the druid who "transformed into a treant"... didn't.

And my personal favorite...

Lich Druid. Totally legal by the RAW, totally unexpected by the players, totally munchkin by any stretch of the imagination.
Getting a d12 hit dice regardless of class? +1 CR.
Still receiving bonus hit points for a dire bear's Con score? Priceless.

Psion

Adventurer
With a few skill tweaks, a succubus can qualify for assassin out of the gate. In 3.0, so could a medusa (haven't checks in 3.5). I had a succubus assassin in my last high level game, and think I might pull that one on my new players as well.

Since XPH gives mind flayers straight up psion levels, my Alhoon will be Cerebremancers or Mind Mages.

Sejs

First Post
Everyone jokes about the intelligent Gelatinous Cube cleric, but what have we actually seen in action?
*gasp!*

They do? They make fun of me?

...I ...I don't know what to say. I'm so hurt. :(

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Lets see I made an Illithid Monks, Wraith Monks and other energy drain touch creatures monks. Nothing like flurry of blows and stat draining.

I made a troll druid once. Back in 3e days he would cast endure element fire and acid on himself every morning to get the 5 points of protection from them. This no longer works in 3.5 :(

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases