SRD Wiki?

silvermane

Explorer
So far I have been unable to find the SRD in Wiki format. This may be caused by two factors: wikis are by nature open-ended projects, whereas the SRD is set in stone, and secondly, somebody would have to keep watch over it once it is finished (or block all edits).

What chances do you think the project would have? Free wikis are available at www.wikicities.org, among others (ie. MediaWiki, which I think is a de facto standard in the field).

silvermane

Explorer
I agree that S&S is pretty, but it is not extendable. In fact, since it was done in some kind of WYSIWYG editor, it is pretty hard to edit unless you know that program's HTML coding style.

Simpler versions of SRD exist too, but they don't cut the mark either (too many HTML tags to throw around).

And I disagree that making a SRD Wiki is just "copy and paste". Even if you paste HTML code, there's going to be some rewriting due to the different way wikis handle tables, for example. Some simpler wikis may not accept HTML table tags at all. Wikipedia does, but the result is often ugly. Although I did find a program that converts HTML to Wikipedia-ready snippets, the results are far from spectacular, especially with [[links]].

kolvar

First Post
Why nobody does ist?
its a heck of work!!!!
to do it right, you have to plan out the interconnectivity of the entries, each spell its own entry (with making links to spell-type, classes, components etc.), each weapon its own entry each feat, skill ... you get the idea.
Otherwise, you can just use the rtf-files, convert them to html and put them on the internet (adding, maybe, some search feature).
And who say it isn't open ended? if you start with SRD, you can easyly expand on other open-gaming content.
It is not a project begun lightly and I think, you need at least 5 persons to start it, to make good progress (after you have put down the standards and interconnectivity) (as you probably guess, I have put some thought into this for my own site, with my own wiki, which has some features, that would be helpful, but the amount of work did not seem worth it for myself)

AND: when you come down to it, it is probably easyier to have the files on your computer and search for what you need.

silvermane

Explorer
It's not terribly hard to do, just time-consuming (and I don't have the patience to do it). The amount of people working on a wiki has nothing to do with the speed of the project. In fact, the less the better, since they tend to argue over presentation issues and such.

As for internal links, if authoring an HTML version you can add thousands of 'em, so can you when editing a wiki. In fact, links in wiki are even easier to create because you just enclose them in double square brackets. No more remembering of file names and the dreaded case problems.

If you want to have an open-ended SRD, you must do something to prevent everyone to write whatever they want in this "book". Which means editing is restricted to a set of admins, which in turn means the whole wiki was useless in the first place. You can use an internet forum, a mailing list or other means to communicate.

IMarvinTPA

First Post
Last edited:

Fenlock

First Post
Getting back to topic :)

I think a wiki version of the SRD would be a great idea. If i had more bandwith i would gladly host it, but what little i have is used for out weekly AE game's wiki :D

But if a place to set up a wiki could be found, i dont think format/layout would be a problem.

If it is restricted to SRD and only SRD material, it would take a few months to finish. After that a dump of the MySQL database could be provided for those who want to use the SRD for own purpose/modifications.

/Fenlock

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases