Region on PS2?

I think this might go better here than in other forums -- I know about the Regioning of DVD players (Region 1 = US [and Canada?], Region 2 = Europe, etc.) but I was wondering how this works for the DVD within my PS2. Can I play Region 2 DVDs in that as well? Or still just Region 1?

I take it you are in North America? If so, you can only play region 1. Even if you do succeed in finding a region hack, remember that region 2 countries (and some other regions) use PAL format vs NTSC that is used in North America. Even if you get it to play, it's not going to look pretty.

There are some DVD players that you can purchase that will convert PAL to NTSC and can be region hacked quite easily. I love mine! I have several European and one Japanese DVDs and they all play great.

Kesh

First Post
Without physically doing things to your PS2 which would void the warranty, you're stuck watching Region 1 movies and playing Region 1 games.

Villano

First Post
Kesh said:
Without physically doing things to your PS2 which would void the warranty, you're stuck watching Region 1 movies and playing Region 1 games.

Actually, you can buy an AR (Action Replay) Max. It's a cheat device for the PS2. It has a disc and memory card containing codes to hundreds of games (plus you can download more as they become available). Anyway, it supposedly allows you to watch any region DVD. According to it's ads:

Region-Busting DVD Movie Player - Action Replay's DVD Region X movie player turns your PS2 into a multi-region DVD movie player without voiding your warranty. This new version includes a fantastic auto-detect feature that automatically figures out the region when you insert your DVD movie!

I have one, but I haven't tried the DVD feature, so I'm not sure how well it works. Also, Exquisite Dead Guy has a point with the PAL vs NTSC thing. I'm not sure if it can overcome that. I've heard of PAL Region 2 DVDs being unplayable on NTSC all-region DVD players.

The AR Max costs about $30 or so. Also, if you buy one, be sure you get the one for the PS2 (it might be available for other systems).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases