Prediction of a gaming boom/ Edition discussion

Fenris

Adventurer
So I was thinking about how, in about 20 years or so there will be a huge boom in gaming. Why you ask? Well that is when those persons who started playing ever so long ago will start retiring (well those that have jobs). This will mean more disposable income and for a gamer, disposable income means more games! I really think this will occur. Many posters here have mentioned that they plan to game until they can no longer roll a die.

Now, I think we can have soem fun with this. According to so many of you, we should eb on what, 6th, 7th maybe the 8th edition of D&D by then right? So, what changes will we see in the EIGHTH edition inthe year 2025?

1. PH errata will be downloaded automatically to your iPod, which is where your PH, character sheet and die roller are anyway.
2. Druids will now be able to change into rocks; igneous at 5th level, sedimentary at 10th and finally metamorphic at 15th.
3. Rogues will continue their PC name change, the class now being called "Persons of many non-combat skills"
4. There will be a move away from miniatures (unless the grandkids can paint)
5. The list of core feats will now comprise vol. 3-8 of the core rule books.

What else do you forsee?

Menexenus

First Post
I was recently walking through my grandparents' nursing home and saw a flyer advertising euchre night in the main activity center. And it occurred to me that in 30 years, they'll be advertising D&D night instead. :)

I don't know. It doesn't bode well for module sales, anyway. None of us will be able to remember anything, so we'll be able to play the same module over and over again.

Baragos

First Post
I don't know. It doesn't bode well for module sales, anyway. None of us will be able to remember anything, so we'll be able to play the same module over and over again.

LOL :)

Yes I think most of us will have a nice time at the retirement homes, playing games and sharing anecdotes from the past, and being told "no, no, no, silly old fool, it was a d20 back then, not a computer!"

I also think D&D 8.5 will include a holographic projector for running battles, where the "miniatures" become animated and attack each other.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Ah, retirement.

I have 20-25 years to go if I stay with my current employer.

And then, just maybe, I'll be able to game like I used to during high school summer vacations...

Gaming 3-4 times/week. Now THAT would be blissful retirement. :)

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Fenris said:
According to so many of you, we should eb on what, 6th, 7th maybe the 8th edition of D&D by then right? So, what changes will we see in the EIGHTH edition inthe year 2025?
I can't imagine 8th edition being that close. I suspect Hasbro or whoever has the license will stay true to a new edition every nine to ten years. I hope. So, higher power willing we'll be playing 5th Edition by then. And I want my books to take up a 'physical' space as well as 'virtual' space. I imagine by then HDs will be able to contain many Terabytes of information. I'm guessing that at the rate we're going we should have at leat 20 TBs HDs available. Plus with any luck we'll make a breakthrough in techno-organic cybernetic implants. We wont need glasses anymore, as the old can just "buy" new eyes.

DaveMage said:
Ah, retirement.

I have 20-25 years to go if I stay with my current employer.

And then, just maybe, I'll be able to game like I used to during high school summer vacations...

Gaming 3-4 times/week. Now THAT would be blissful retirement. :)

Hehe yeah. Someone's going to make some cash when they design the fantasy retirement home for roleplayers... :)

joe b.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
jgbrowning said:
Hehe yeah. Someone's going to make some cash when they design the fantasy retirement home for roleplayers...

If they invent the Matrix by the time I am 65, you can wave Mr. Geekus bye-bye.

"What? You're going to hook me up to a machine that will fill my senses with base, false information at the expense of my own electro-thermic energy?"

"THAT IS OUR PLAN."

"Oh, sweet!!!"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases