Love your cleric as you would love yourself

Driddle

First Post
"Get friendly and stay friendly with your party's cleric, druid, or paladin..."

So urgeth the sage advice of the latest "Swashbucklers With Class" article at WotC's site. Uncommonly insightful advice, eh? -- make friends with your fellow adventurer. That idea is so totally wacky and waaaaay out there that Skippy the Writer has to suggest the same thing in articles about the hexblade, scout, samurai, monk, paladin, ranger, barbarian, rogue and fighter classes. (The hexblade and a few others, however, need not be so friendly.)

I'm glad someone suggested that. After all, the unspoken assumption otherwise is to ignore or antagonize your party's claric, druid or paladin. I can't imagine how many PC relations have been saved by the one bit of esoteric advice.

"Dude, you are such a total whacked-out sonuva--"
"Hey! I'm party cleric."
"Oh. Sheesh. I had no idea. (mumble) ... I'm sorry. ... Can we still, uh ... be friends?"

Amen!

Anyway, just be sure that when you peruse WotC's most excellent supplemental material, you pay very close attention to details like this. Even if it seems like it would be frippin' obvious to your grandmother's half-blind shih-tzu, you should read the text twice or thrice to ensure it locks in your brain.

Someone

Adventurer
Driddle said:
"Get friendly and stay friendly with your party's cleric, druid, or paladin..."

You can, however, call names and antagonize your party´s shugenja, favored soul, healer, bard, ranger and shaman. Their healing isn´t worth the effort of remaining civil.

ThoughtBubble

First Post
So, are you telling me that perhaps the reason I'm still suffering from Con drain is due to calling the cleric a 'worthless bag of healing cola'?

Interesting...

Numion

First Post
Driddle is out again to antagonize people, it seems. But whatever.

I disagree. People should be allowed to play clerics any which way they like. Quite a lot of players in my group play clerics as boostable fighters. As in: cast the boosting spells, and lay the SMACK on the enemies, and heal later.

The justification is simple: fight now, heal later. And can you expect to be healed by the barbarian? No, so why should you expect the same from the cleric? Because the clerics player could've just chosen to play a barbarian, if healing was his duty..

My reason for playing clerics is to play them like holy warriors, like the rules allow. I could've played a fighter, after all.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Driddle said:
Uncommonly insightful advice, eh?

captain.jpg

Those "... with Class" articles sure get a lot of attention.

-- N

Particle_Man

Explorer
Worse, he got the Swashbuckler power wrong. Insightful strike helps with damage, not with the attack roll. He got the Warlock wrong too. He fixed it a bit, but it still says "you gain invocations every other level" which is not quite right (it would be more accurate to say "you gain invocations about every other level" if space is a concern).

does Skip even play D&D anymore?

Remove ads