Sigil Magic System - good enough? too good?

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
(a few pre-notes - this was designed for a d20-based game where the skill Arcana replaces both Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft. Skill ranks are measured in levels instead of ranks... otherwise this is basicaly d20)

I've been bouncing around this system for a few weeks now, based on the system I had in my old Rules Compendium D&D game that I ran forever. In that version, you learned Symbols as non-weapon proficiencies. In the original version of this, they were feats, but that took up too many critical resources... thus the latest version posted here.

I'm still not sure if these are usable as-is, so comments are EAGERLY welcome.

---

SymbolCraft [General]
You know how to attune or create a sigil crystal and how to use said crystal to craft the ancient power symbols.
Prerequisites: Arcane level 1+
Benefits: You gain the knowledge of a single power symbol, and can now take ranks in the Sigilcraft skill (although it remains a cross-class skill).

SigilCraft [Int - prohibited skill]
A character with Sigilcraft and an attuned sigil crystal can learn and cast the ancient power symbols.

Casting a symbol takes a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity, requires an SigilCraft check based on the amount of energy invested (see below) and deals an amount of non-lethal damage to the caster based on the amount of energy invested in the casting. If the casting is interrupted (such as by an attack or other source of damage), then the caster must succeed at a Concentration check with the usual DC for an interrupted spellcasting, with the power level of the symbol being used in the place of the spell level.

A symbol can be cast with a power level equal to the caster’s SigilCraft skill level. The SigilCraft check required to cast the symbol is DC 10 + 2 / power level. Casting a symbol deals 1d4-1 points of non-lethal damage to the caster for each power level of the symbol. For example, a level 9 caster with 6 levels of SigilCraft could create a power level 1 symbol with a DC 12 Sigilcraft check, suffering 1d4-1 non-lethal damage, or as much as a power level 6 symbol with a DC 22 SigilCraft check, suffering 6d4-6 non-lethal damage. The non-lethal damage is suffered regardless of whether the casting of the symbol succeeds.

In addition, a symbol adept can only successfully cast one symbol per day per level of SigilCraft. Castings that fail do not count against this limit, although they do still deal non-lethal damage to the caster.

---

The four simplest symbols are the elemental symbols and are fairly well-known as far as ancient arcanas are concerned. The remaining symbols, however, are very carefully guarded by those who know them and the knowledge is not passed on easily to others.

Fire
Prerequisites: SigilCraft level 1+
Benefit: Once cast, the fire symbol glows a deep red and licks with flame. The fire symbol targets a 60 ft cone extending directly forward of the symbol’s position. Any living and/or sentient target entering or remaining in this area is struck by the flames and is dealt 1d8 fire damage. The symbol remains in effect for 1 round per power level.

Ice
Benefit: Once cast, the ice symbol glows a radiant blue-white and a light mist falls from it. The ice symbol targets a 60 ft cone extending directly forward of the symbol’s position. Any living and/or sentient target entering or remaining in this area is struck by a bolt of icy cold and is dealt 1d8 cold damage. The symbol remains in effect for 1 round per power level.

Lightning
Benefit: Once cast, the lightning symbol crackles and glows brilliant blue. The lightning symbol targets a 60 ft cone extending directly forward of the symbol’s position. Any living and/or sentient target entering or remaining in this area is struck by the lightning and is dealt 1d8 electricity damage. The symbol remains in effect for 1 round per power level.

Acid
Benefit: Once cast, the acid symbol glows a deep green and smokes faintly, occasionally dripping small drops of viscous acid. The acid symbol targets a 60 ft cone extending directly forward of the symbol’s position. Any living and/or sentient target entering or remaining in this area is struck by a spray of acid and is dealt 1d8 acid damage. The symbol remains in effect for 1 round per power level.

HellHound

ARGH.

Of course, now that I've finally decided to convert this old system from my Rules Cyclopedia campaign... I seem to have lost my house rule books. I mean, how on earth can three 200-page hardcover books of handwritten rules just get up and disappear? And why was it so conveniently timed while I was away from the house for four days?

Argh...

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
HellHound said:
Of course, now that I've finally decided to convert this old system from my Rules Cyclopedia campaign... I seem to have lost my house rule books. I mean, how on earth can three 200-page hardcover books of handwritten rules just get up and disappear? And why was it so conveniently timed while I was away from the house for four days?
One of the reasons why I keep all my stuff I'm currently woking on on a Flash/Thumb Drive.

HellHound

I generally do the same, but in this case, I'm finally bringing my home-brew world to the new rules set, and this means I had to dig up my old hand-written rulebooks for the job. There was once a time when putting all the material into a computer was less usefull than writing it down in a blank hardcover book.

So... I filled 4 of these hardcovers with rules for my homebrew campaign setting, and have recently dug them out of the storage area... and promptly lost them.

Remove ads