Thieves' World d20

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I have been excited since I first heard Green Ronin was going to publish Thieves' World d20. I was even more excited when a very good friend brought back from Origins for me a pre-release copy of the Thieves' World Player's Manual. After skimming the book, and carefully reading some sections, I almost want to end my current campaign to start a new adventure in Sanctuary. A very grim world, low on healing, and a very interesting magic system.

The book opens with a (very) short story by Lynn Abbey. Then a Welcome to Thieves' World intro to the TW anthologies.
Chapter One: A Sanctan Primer introduces the players to Sanctuary, the primary setting of TW.
Chapter Two: Cultures and Backgrounds describes the different human cultures, with bonuses for each. Everyone in Thieves' World is human.
Chapter Three: Character Classes explains the minor changes to barbarian, fighter, and thief (not rogue) classes; then covers the new classes: Assassin, Godsworn, Initiate, Mage, Noble, Priest, Ranger, Savant, Survivor, and Witch.
Chapter Four: Prestige Classes lists 18 new prestige classes, plus explains which of those from the DMG are allowed.
Chapter Five: Skills and Feats gives us 2 new skills, Gamble and REad/Write Language (most people are illiterate). Then changes to existing skills plus a list of languages. The Feats portion lists dropped feats (Extra Turning, Improved Familiar, Natural Spell, Quicken Spell, and Spell Mastery); changes to metamagic feats; then a bunch of new feats.
Chapter Six: Supplemental Rules covers the new or revised rulse. These include Massive Damage, Severe Injuries, Infection, Reputation Checks, and Contacts.
Chapter Seven: Equipment and Resources covers the allowed weapons & armor, disguised weapons, herbs, drugs, poisons; plus explains appropriate and inappropriate magic items.
Chapter Eight: Sorcery covers sources of power, techniques, curses, magic item creation, and the new rules for magic.
Chapter Nine: Spells gives us the spell lists plus new spells in Sanctuary.
The Appendices cover the Gods of Sanctuary and a Character Glossary.

The book is 192 pages and will list for $34.95.
btw, Chris Pramas has given me permission to talk about the book.

Last edited:

greywulf

First Post
Thanks for the info! I'm pant wettingly excited about this book. The important question has to be - does it capture the gritty feel of Thieves World?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
greywulf said:
Thanks for the info! I'm pant wettingly excited about this book. The important question has to be - does it capture the gritty feel of Thieves World?
It sure does! Between little healing, much lower threshold for massive damage, and receiving non-leathal damage every time you cast a spell, it is a deadly world. I feel like I need to wash my hands just from handling the book. ;)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Greywulf - I keep thinking that Ankh Morpork is slightly more like Lankhmar (which is more in keeping with the name, also), as Sanctuary is a much smaller city in terms of scale.

Oh, and the watch is far less effective.

Thalmin - we are all officially jealous of the pre-release copy you have. A bunch of us were drooling over them at the con, and Crothian got to play in a game and loved it.

reveal

Adventurer
Ok I read the info on Green Ronin's site and it didn't answer my one question: What the heck is Thieves World? I read about Sanctuary but that doesn't really tell me anything? Can someone give me more info about the setting? Thanks!

reveal said:
Ok I read the info on Green Ronin's site and it didn't answer my one question: What the heck is Thieves World? I read about Sanctuary but that doesn't really tell me anything? Can someone give me more info about the setting? Thanks!

This review of the newer book release gives some background:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue291/books2.html

Here's some more information:

http://risse.tierranet.com/asprin/books/thieves_world.html

(If you use the right arrow under the summary, you can read about each of the early books and find out who the authors in each book were.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases