(PR MEG) Pre-Release review of Urban Blight

Mystic Eye

First Post
Hi there,

I sent along a pre-release copy of Foul Locales: Urban Blight to the staff reviewer at Mortality.net and he has posted his review. It is a bit lighter than his normal reviews but he did not want to give away too much in regards to the book.

Drop on by http://www.mortality.net and check it out!

Last edited:

Mystic Eye

First Post
Yeah, Ed is darn good at what he does. What I like about is maps is, while they are artistic, they are also functional and to scale.

It would be nice to hear what some of the other folks who visit this board think too.

SkeletonKey Ed

Explorer
I think Ed's maps are great, but I may be biased.

Working on this project was a blast and it challenged my skills big-time. I am looking forward to getting this puppy in my hands and, hopefully, working on more books in this series.

Cheers - Ed

Napftor

Explorer
Hey there Ed!

Speaking as one of the main writers of this series, I hope I'll be working with you too. And the preview really looks cool. Like everyone else, I'm waiting with great anticipation for Urban Blight.

Mystic Eye

First Post
Foul Locales: Urban Blight is a seriously ambitious book. Some of the locations are many pages long and absolutely filled with stuff. Keeping in mind that there are 18 locales in this 128 page book that is around an average of 7 pages for each location (of course, some are larger than others and two of them are mini-locales).

I think what you all will find most enjoyable with these locales is the fact that most of them are made to be an-ongoing part of your game and should last you a long, long time.

The players might frequent the "gambling house" locale or the Library for a year or more of game time and still not uncover all the plots and sub-plots going on in the establishment. Heck, the PCs might keep going there and never realize there is a sub-plot until the GM wants them too.
We have provided numerous background and plot ideas to these locales so that the majority are not used just once then tossed. They have very detailed characters with personal motives and goals. Add the plots to this and you have something that, we hope will last you a while.

Also, they are themed on the darker side but really should be able to fit into any standard fantasy d20 setting with little or no alterations (personal campaign stuff might bend them a bit).

We are already deep underway with Beyond the Walls now which are Rural locales like trading posts, a horse ranch, haunted locations on the road side, a detailed goblin locale and much more. It will use a similar, rural based coding system to Urban Blight so GMs can easily plop these locales into the appropriate place at need.

If you have questions about these books feel free to ask.

annadobritt

First Post
Mystic Eye said:
Yeah, Ed is darn good at what he does. What I like about is maps is, while they are artistic, they are also functional and to scale.

It would be nice to hear what some of the other folks who visit this board think too.

The map is really nice, but what about people who would want a downloadable version for CC2? I know there was a discussion a while back concerning artistic type maps versus utilitarian maps.

JoeGKushner

First Post
CC2? I'm curious to see how many people use CC2. I had the original and thought it was a little too CAD like to use all the time. I find that the maps, as long as they have grids on them, are great.

This particular map needs a legend, well, not really, but I have to have something to complain about! :) I'm sure if I had the book the map would make perfect sense.

Good scale. Good solid lines. Easy to use.

Mystic Eye

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
CC2? I'm curious to see how many people use CC2. I had the original and thought it was a little too CAD like to use all the time. I find that the maps, as long as they have grids on them, are great.

This particular map needs a legend, well, not really, but I have to have something to complain about! :) I'm sure if I had the book the map would make perfect sense.

Good scale. Good solid lines. Easy to use.

I am not sure about how many use the CC2 free viewer at least. I like CC2 maps as a GM and own CC2 myself. However, they sometimes don't come out in print very well. Anna, a CC2 genious has been able to make them look good in print but generally they don't do that well. It is very CAD like and hard to learn but if you are just using the viewer it is simple.

The map displayed does have a legend and key in the book that will make sense. Not to worry Joe-always the reviewer, aye (hehe).

I have been torn on which way to go. I am thinking of using CC2 maps for all e-adventures and something like Ed's maps for all print stuff. Eds maps are very usable as he pays close attention to scale when he designs.
Hmm...I wonder if Skeleton Key's tiles will be able to re-create most of the locales in Urban Blight since Ed used his vast library of Icons and stuff to create them? What's the word here Ed?

BTW: I will be posting a sample locale soon. I am debating on which one as I do not want to give to much away to players that may potentially encounter one of them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases