Port/ router help.

KenM

Banned
Banned
OK, a few days ago my VOIP on Battlefield 2 stoped working. I get the icon that I'm talking when I press the button, but on one can hear me and i can't hear them. This was before the hotfix patch. Still like this after patch. I heard I have to check my rounter and make sure certin ports are open, bit not sure how to do that.

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
You really need to look in the manual because every router handles this differently and in fact some do not even have a way to configure this.

We will assume you do..

In the book it will be either Telnet or HTTP based configuration, the term most routers will use is Port Forwarding, this in essense opens a port and forwards the pack to a computer.. Yours.

You will need to know your computer's IP and the port numbers you wish to open. To find your IP just do a ipconfig from a dos prompt if you do not know where to look and to find out the Ports that need to be opened you will have to check whatever software is handling the VOIP.

On thing that strikes me odd is the "suddenly" stops working. Computers are reactive or event driven.. So something got changed or broken most likely, I would wonder by what? Check the cable, this advice seems crazy I know but you never know.

KenM

Banned
Banned
I think this happened to alot of people. A few other people in my clan are having the same problem all of a sudden. I can still talk on teamspeak. But if i'm on a pub server and need to talk, VOIP not working.

Setanta

First Post
To find out what port you're using, your firewall hopefully has a log showing what (if any) packets it's been denying. You should be able to figure it out from there. If there isn't a handy log, and you can't find out through the docs for your VOIP software, you could download and install something like ethereal and figure it out from there. Normally you could just use netstat, but VOIP generally runs over UDP. Vascant is right though. The fact that it was working then suddenly stopped means it's probably something else, unless your firewall's config or software was changed.

KenM

Banned
Banned
Well I just got done playing some BF2 and my VOIP{ was workign again. I was not changing and settings or anything. Strange.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases