The Seas of Blood (a piritical game) - Full

Phoenix

First Post

'The Seas of Blood’ is a PbP with a difference. Though the players will be delving though an adventure seeking a defiante resolution, the adventure will be heavily based on the group’s decisions. What does this mean?

I’m looking for four players that can provide a special skill-set for this game. I’m not looking for people that simply respond to the GM whenever he provides a problem, nor simply talks to the other players when an adventure requires a decision. I want four players to play real people.

They must be able to shoot of in tangents, talk politics to each other, and share cake recipes. This game is based more on the players than the story, more on what you do than what I say.

IF you think that you can be a part of this dynamic group, then get a character background posted (be as liberal as you want with your history, but don’t go overboard). Many aspects of the background have been left vague at the moment (I’d like to complete my background based on character histories), and I am keen to post once the players are accepted.

There are only a handful of things to remember:
- Each of the ships (IF there is more than one) will require a set of skilled crew. I don't need shiphands, NPCs will do. Your characters will have very SPECIFIC trained jobs to do on board.
- If you think you'll have committments, even a possibility of one, in the first two weeks of play, don't apply. This is when I'll be starting the story, we'll need EVERYONE on board. If you're not interested in playing, I'm not interested in running.
- The story is more important than statistics, if you want to play a Commoner, go for it (I’ve always been partial to the Accountant myself).
- This is a game of storytelling, though there will be combat involved you will be disappointed if you design your character solely for fighting. Pack a sword though.
- Applicants must be able to post once every 1-2 days, this will be a fast-paced game so if you have holidays or you know you can’t keep up, don’t apply.
- A command of the English language. I'm really not kidding, I'm sick of reading people's posts that are poorly constructed. If you can't put in the effort, neither will I.
- I'll need assistance during start up from one of the players.....
BRONT
.....basically I'll need a decent map with civilized and non-civilized areas that is small enough but large enough....broad enough for you? I don't need a full continent, just a couple of countries and some uninhabited areas would be nice.

The logistics?
8th level characters (no need to worry about who is playing what or if you need a cleric).
35 point statistics buy.
PHB races only, Classes upon approval...NOTE: I HAVE NO BOOKS! I know most of them, but I'm half-way across the world from home, so....be prepared to detail your classes if i require.
60,000 gp starting money (anything from the PHB or DMG only).
Special Note: All characters may only possess a maximum of 4 scrolls, 6 potions and 4 permanent magic items* (all which will of course feature in your background, and the weapons will have names, thanks ;) )

I'm still working of crew logistics too. If someone can copy ship data, travel rules and naval combat onto here for me, that'd be nice. :heh:

[sblock]*If you even think about spending all of your money to the last cent on magic items without taking into consideration other matters, god help me I will spank you. If I need to explain this concept to you, it will be in crayon.
[/sblock]

Need an example of gameplay?

Note: More information, much more, is available in the other thread. given time I'll transfer it all across, including that little bit which tells you what the story is about.

Last edited:

Phoenix

First Post
"Some people are born into money, other people work hard for what they possess, then there are people like us who just can't help drinking it all away..."
- Captain Reginald "Frothing" Murphy, The Oceanbitch​

The tale is an old one, and one that is all too common on the docks of Tavenport. Two Captains in dock at the same time, their crew in for drinking and wenching, all bragging of their exploits on the sea, legal or not.

The Annals of History state that in the Year of the Crimson Snake, 569PO, that one of these meetings did occur in the drinking house of The Dyke and Wheelbarrow. It was here that two Captains faced off each other across a small table lined with tankards, coins and cards.

But these were no ordinary Captains, for in their day they were the greatest pirates on the known seas, both with large prices on their heads from lawful authorities. The travellers of the world knew their names well and stood either in fear or awe at their presence. But none could decide who was the true ruler of the seas, for both of the Captains respected each other's reputation enough to avoid open conflict, as they did not know who would be the winner.

In that fateful drinking den there was posed a wager, one that would send shockwaves through civilized lands for leagues around them for years to come. The bet was simple.

In three months time the two Captains would meet in Haven's Den (the legendary and secret meeting place of pirates), the ship that possessed the greatest treasures would be known forever as the more powerful, and her Captain the true ruler of the waves. The loser would abandon her ship and all of her treasures to the winner, who would sail off leaving the losing crew behind with only enough food and water to last them until the next pirate ship arrived to rescue them.

A race against time, for greed and honour.

Bront

The man with the probe
Some more indepth background the estimed captain. Obviously not complete, but should give you something to attach yourself to him if you're part of the crew. All positions beyond Captain are open, as my Cohort does not need to be the First Mate.
Captain Jonathon Swoops, of the Moon Goddess, and Honorable Pirate of the Seas is renowned as a sailor and a leader. The Moon Goddess is one of the fastest ships on the seas, and her crew is one of the best trained. Known for being trustworthy in deals, as well as good to his crew, he commands incredible respect from those in the sea-going community.

Little is known of how Captain Swoops came to command the Moon Goddess, but he does and does it well. With his right hand man, Phineus Morgan, priest of Fharlanghn, he has rounded up a fine crew. Rumors vary from him stealing the ship, him taking over the ship when another pirate retired, to even a noble backer keeps him on a payroll. However he ascended to captain, he cuts an intimidating figure, a hard bargain, and is a skilled swordsman to boot.
Phineus is my Cohort, and most the rest of the crew beyond you all will be followers (Leadership score of 10, probably 12, possibly more.).

Jonathon is getting close to being done. He's a Rogue 2/Swashbuckler 3/Dread Pirate 3, and a lot of fun. Has some good social/negotiating skills, and can move about a ship. He can NOT do any sort of disarm, or many of the other roguish skills.

Phineus will end up being a Cleric 6, which will be even more usefull if no one else wants to be a cleric. I'm willing to change him to not step on anyone's toes if someone wants to play a cleric.

Pheonix, I'll fill you on on any non-standard rules from the classes I'm playing.

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
Some more indepth background the estimed captain. Obviously not complete, but should give you something to attach yourself to him if you're part of the crew. All positions beyond Captain are open, as my Cohort does not need to be the First Mate.

Phineus is my Cohort, and most the rest of the crew beyond you all will be followers (Leadership score of 10, probably 12, possibly more.).

Jonathon is getting close to being done. He's a Rogue 2/Swashbuckler 3/Dread Pirate 3, and a lot of fun. Has some good social/negotiating skills, and can move about a ship. He can NOT do any sort of disarm, or many of the other roguish skills.

Phineus will end up being a Cleric 6, which will be even more usefull if no one else wants to be a cleric. I'm willing to change him to not step on anyone's toes if someone wants to play a cleric.

Pheonix, I'll fill you on on any non-standard rules from the classes I'm playing.

Rockin'.

If you don't mind, I think I'd like to create your cohort, based simply on the fact that the Leadership feat doesn't guarentee the perfect cohort ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
Pheonix:
[sblock]Should I pay for the ship myself? Or should I just assume we have one? Also, I'm open to work out how Swoops came into the ship with you. That's part of why I left how he got the ship vague till I worked it out with you.[/sblock]

Dread Pirate class gets some command and deplomacy bonuses, and swashbuckler isn't to hard to deal with. I'll type everything non-standard up. Probably have him done tomorow night, though I'll add tid bits about other crewmembers into the background as things progress.

Bront

The man with the probe
Phoenix said:
Rockin'.

If you don't mind, I think I'd like to create your cohort, based simply on the fact that the Leadership feat doesn't guarentee the perfect cohort ;)
Hehe, if you want. My take was the Cleric, with the Travel and Weather domain. Probably Neutral Good like Swoops. A sailor, still decent diplomat, probably bigger in the mental stats instead of the physical ones. If he's fairly close to that, it's likely what I would have done.

Weather Domain from CD

WEATHER DOMAIN

Granted Power: Survival is a class skill.
Weather Domain Spells
Code:
Spell Name		Brief Description
1 Obscuring Mist	Fog surrounds you.
2 Fog Cloud		Fog obscures vision.
3 Call Lightning	Calls down lightning bolts (3d6 per bolt) from sky.
4 Sleet Storm		Hampers vision and movement.
5 Ice Storm		Hail deals 5d6 damage in cylinder 40 ft. across.
6 Control Winds		Change wind direction and speed.
7 Control Weather	Changes weather in local area.
8 Whirlwind		Cyclone deals damage and can pick up creatures.
9 Storm of Vengeance	Storm rains acid, lightning, and hail.

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
Pheonix:
[sblock]Should I pay for the ship myself? Or should I just assume we have one? Also, I'm open to work out how Swoops came into the ship with you. That's part of why I left how he got the ship vague till I worked it out with you.[/sblock]

Dread Pirate class gets some command and deplomacy bonuses, and swashbuckler isn't to hard to deal with. I'll type everything non-standard up. Probably have him done tomorow night, though I'll add tid bits about other crewmembers into the background as things progress.

Well I gave you 60k cash to start off with, that's more than enough to buy your ship with plus any siege engines that you want. I was thinking about making you pay for it actually, but instead the 'group' can have a 20k slush fund to buy the ship and siege engines, ship things, etc... If you wanna buy more things out of your own money, or if other people want to put money into the ship, that's fine.

Phoenix

First Post
Bront said:
Hehe, if you want. My take was the Cleric, with the Travel and Weather domain. Probably Neutral Good like Swoops. A sailor, still decent diplomat, probably bigger in the mental stats instead of the physical ones. If he's fairly close to that, it's likely what I would have done.

I'm sure I'll get close to it ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
Phoenix said:
Well I gave you 60k cash to start off with, that's more than enough to buy your ship with plus any siege engines that you want. I was thinking about making you pay for it actually, but instead the 'group' can have a 20k slush fund to buy the ship and siege engines, ship things, etc... If you wanna buy more things out of your own money, or if other people want to put money into the ship, that's fine.
Sounds fair. Of course, i need to do research on how much ships cost and such. (I think I won't go the Folding Boat route)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases