Is the Shackled City Adventure Path all "core?"

reveal

Adventurer
I've been talking to my group and have advised them that I may tell them to only use the core books (PHB, DMG, and I consider all 3 MM's "core") for the next campaign. The campaign is far off so I have time to mull it over.

They were fine with it, but they did tell me that they would hold me to that ruling as well, which makes sense to me. I was planning on running them through the Age of Worms path since, by the time we're done with this campaign, AoW should be near completion.

My question, then, is the Shackled City Adventure Path "core?" I ask this to get an idea if Age of Worms is as well. Is there anything in SCAP that is not core?

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
Off hand...

I do know it adds new rules and such as it moves along, atleast 1 template and a few magic items come to mind.

I want to say I think I seen some information coming from beyond the 3 books but without going thru each I am uncertian.

delericho

Legend
There's a bit of non-core stuff

There are a few things that are not core, but not too much:

- A few monsters, notably the demodands, are taken from the Fiend Folio, and one or two from the Book of Vile Darkness.

- A couple of NPCs have levels in prestige classes. Not too many, but a few. I think some of these came from non-core sources, although I can't recall any specific examples off the top of my head (I do remember an Assassin and a Mystic Theurge, but these are both core).

- There are a smattering of new feats/items/spells taken from the Draconimicon, Libris Mortis, and so forth.

The end result is that the adventures are not entirely core. However, if you really wanted to 'play fair', you could rewrite to use core-only sources (although it would be a bit of work, I guess).

Note: When running the campaign, the only books I ever took to the game were the PHB, DMG, MM, MMII, FF and, on one instance only, the BoVD. Everything else was run from the magazines. I'm also pretty sure that the only books needed to run the Adventure Path from the hardback are the three core books, but you'd really need confirmation from Paizo on that one to be certain.

Gez

First Post
So far, we've met creatures from the MM2
automatons
and FF
skulk, dark ones, half-troll

And that's just what we've met from the first adventure (Life's Bazaar) that I've recognized as being non-core. There may be non-core items, spells, monsters, yada-yada that we've not seen yet.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases