Wanted: Your Unpublished Work For Dog Soul Forums

Cathix

First Post
Dog Soul is getting ready to launch 'Dog Soul Forums', a public environment where writers , gamers and artists of all stripes can exhibit their work. We are looking for any of these items to publish on the site: fiction excerpts - fantasy, modern, sci-fi, steampunk; rpg related items like character profiles, PrC's, rules variants, interesting flavor text; and 'shorts' - complete works under ten pages. We will also have a gallery page for artists looking to showcase their work.

The Forums will be done in a blog-style format, and visitors will be able to comment on all of the work posted, as well as contact the artist or writer. In addition, all contributors will have the option of linking their Forums page to a resume page or personal website.

For publishers: from now until September 30th, the Forums will also happily host your banner ads FREE OF CHARGE. Space is limited and this will be first come first served.

Send us samples of your work, links to a gallery page, and banner ads to litlbeast AT yahoo DOT com.

As always, thanks to all of you for your contribution to Dog Soul Publishing's first year!

Last edited:

Cathix

First Post
One more thing I'd like to mention. Dog Soul will in no way own any rights to the work you allow us to post on our Forums site. We will not alter it, use it for marketing purposes, or do anything with it other than post it on the Forums site with proper credits attached.

Also, the Forums site will have a warning concerning use of the work showcased, re the Creative Commons License. This can be found here:

Creative Commons License

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
If you're hosting banner ads, I'd love for you to give these a try. I'm getting ready to submit them to other sites and I could use the feedback from your audience.

PBGad1.gif

PBGad2.gif

Balok the Strange

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
If you're hosting banner ads, I'd love for you to give these a try. I'm getting ready to submit them to other sites and I could use the feedback from your audience.

Mr. Biggus,

If you could please drop a line to me privately (as I do not seem to be able to do the same for you), I would like to discuss the proposed banner ads. I'm Sean C. Frolich, and I am the other half of Dog Soul Publishing.

You can reach me at milkbone@dogsoul.net

Thanks a bunch

Cathix

First Post
HalWhitewyrm said:
Biggus, the banner ads are funny. :)

Sean, I'd like to get in on the banner ads as well. Email me at daniel@highmoonmedia.com

Send either me or Sean a banner 468 x 60 (approx.). Don't worry about hosting it - I just use my Photobucket account, which is free. (shameless plug for Photobucket - it's a damn good service).

Or...if you want a textual ad on the side, you can send us up to 25 words and a 50 x 50 (doesn't have to be perfectly square, could be a thumbnail of a book cover).

Also, I was thinking perhaps some publishers would want to contribute an article having to do with a product they've already put out or one nearing release. [Or an article having to do with a topic that's on their mind, regarding the business, rpg industry, game tactics, etc. ]Give it a think - there's still plenty of room to fill, and I really like a full website. :D

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Cathix said:
One more thing I'd like to mention. Dog Soul will in no way own any rights to the work you allow us to post on our Forums site. We will not alter it, use it for marketing purposes, or do anything with it other than post it on the Forums site with proper credits attached.

Also, the Forums site will have a warning concerning use of the work showcased, re the Creative Commons License. This can be found here:

Creative Commons License

[hijack]
Why place it under an extra layer of semi-copyright protection instead of just maintaining the work's existing copyright? (ie: Copyright by owner, do not reproduce without permission?)

The CCL doesn't seem to add any extra protection, nor provide any real additional rights beyond conventional copyright, except the right to reporduce the material in a non-commercial manner, which can be granted without using the CCL.

Just curious, maybe you can help me understand why people use the CCL.

Cathix

First Post
HellHound said:
[hijack]
Why place it under an extra layer of semi-copyright protection instead of just maintaining the work's existing copyright? (ie: Copyright by owner, do not reproduce without permission?)

The CCL doesn't seem to add any extra protection, nor provide any real additional rights beyond conventional copyright, except the right to reporduce the material in a non-commercial manner, which can be granted without using the CCL.

Just curious, maybe you can help me understand why people use the CCL.

The framework of the server/site I'm using does not allow for different copyright clauses on the bottom of each page. I could have a general statement however, and additional copyright info for each entry.

I had thought the CCL would be good enough coverage. I am trying to let people know the Forums are specifically for works not yet published. While just stating your name, the year, and the copyright are often enough to protect your original unpublished work, the CCL seemed to make a lot of sense. Browsers of online art galleries will download/rightclick images they like - that's half the reason online galleries are frequented. The CCL recommends that this behavior is acceptable, but using those images for anything other than personal enjoyment is prohibited, unless permission is obtained from the owner/artist.

I'm going to give it more thought, however.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases