First Post
Fantastic map but dull screen

Eberron Deluxe Dungeon Master’s Screen
Developed and Assembled by Christopher Perkins
Published by Wizard’s of the Coast
www.wizards.com/eberron
ISBN: 0-7869-3850-1
$14.95

The Eberron Deluxe DM screen contains a four panel screen in landscape format. This format, made popular by Malhavoc’s Arcana Unearthed screen, is a solid screen covered with Wayne Reynolds art from the adventure, Grasp of the Emerald Claw. A solid piece of work with adventurers fighting against the Emerald Claw and their strange undead looking master. In addition, the screen includes an eight-page spread of Khorvaire.

This map includes a master key that notes things like thorps, hamlets, villages, small towns, large towns, small cities, large cities, metropolises, capitals, castles, sites, ruins, broken bridges and where the lightning rail goes, in addition to environmental maps. Want to know what’s in Breland? It’s there. Want to see the Shadow Marches and their environs? It’s there. It’s a good-looking map, but the paper could be a bit thicker as for me at least, maps tend to be some of the most abused accessories.

The screen is a bit of a disappointment for me. For me, all I really want is a screen with the CR versus level table. Not here. The unique Eberron elements include the dragonmarks, listed by mark, house, race, and influence, as well as months of the year and days of the week. Almost everything else, and I say almost because I may be missing something, is from the Player’s Handbook or the DMG.

This includes the following: Common armor, weapons and shield hardness and hit points, Substances hardness and hit points, DCs to break or burst items, Items affected by Magical Attacks, Size and armor class of objects, Object hardness and hit points, Walls, Doors, Turning Undead, Attack Roll Modifiers, Armor Class Modifiers, Influencing NPC attitudes, Climb check DCs, Listen Check DCs, Actions. Skills (key ability, untrained, armor check penalty and attack of opportunity), Movement and Distance, Maximum Distance for Spot Checks, Detect Magic, Detect Evil, Hampered Movement, Light Sources and Illumination, and Armored/Encumbered speeds,

A good collection of tables but the real prize here is the fully detailed map.

Last edited:

BvS

First Post
The screen is a bit of a disappointment for me. For me, all I really want is a screen with the CR versus level table.
Can I ask why? The information on the DM's screen is supposed to be for absolutely-need-to-know-this-second info, where taking the time to thumb through the book will significantly slow your game down. The only time one ever needs look at the CR vs. Level is when the DM is handing out experience. Perhaps you do it differently in your games, but I believe most DMs hand out XP at the end of a session - hardly qualifying it for the above-mentioned category.

Maybe if you hand out XP right after every combat, but even then, combat is over... I think you can take a few secs while the PCs are healing up, searching, or gloating about their awesome victory to check the DMG. Not trying to sound elitest or mean, just wondering why this is considered a major gripe. I'd probably be mad if they had taken up valuable DM Screen realistate by putting that on to be honest!

Cheers!

buzz

Adventurer
BvS said:
The only time one ever needs look at the CR vs. Level is when the DM is handing out experience.
I agree. What DM screens really need (and rarely seem to have) are things like quick summaries of complex combat manuevers like grappling, maybe some common natural and special ability cheat-sheets, and modifier info (like the ability score table (or formula), dangit!). I don't see why XP info, psionics/magic, or calendar info needs to be present.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I believe the map does include political boundaries but I'll double check it.

Why do I need xp tables? Well for one thing, yes, I usually do hand out xp after ever fight.

For another, even if I didn't, it'd save me a trip to the DMG at the end of the night.

I can see some of the utility of having things like hardness and hit points for walls and stuff but XP comes up a lot more in my game than trying to break through some wall.

Deadguy

First Post
A fair review Joe. Three things were disappointing to me:</p>
  1. The screen is landscape rather rather the usual portrait orientation, which means that it only stands 21 cm tall. It doesn't do enough to shield you unless the players sit close. I like my notes as well as dice rolls hidden!
  2. The paper that the map is printed on is really really flimsy! It feels cheap, and is weak enough that after only unfolding it a couple of times the corners of folds are beginning to fray. If Paizo can manage to do reasonable paper for a free map of Greyhawk, then Wizards should be able to manage the same!
  3. The Eberron content of the screen is just the table of Dragonmarks and Houses. I want things like day and month names, please. This is for an Eberron DM! Oh, and it might be good if they could manage to remember the Mark of Healing on the list! Stupid editorial gaff there!

I will use the screen, but it isn't everything it could have been. :(

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases