Put Yourself in the Adventure! [Probably Full]

Kerrz

First Post
I'm trying to see if there's any appeal for this sort of game, and also trying to figure out if I'm going to have time to DM it. I'm running another game, playing in four, trying to get into two more... but I'd really like to try this concept and don't have the patience to wait.

Just post a rough bio right off the get go, I don't want to see any attempts at character sheets until I've got a stable of players willing to play by my rules. People tend to focus too much on stats and forget that PbP is essentially a storytelling medium, not a dicerolling medium.

So anyway, now that I've got that nonsense out of the way, here's the pitch:

You are yourself. Obviously I cannot prove that you are who you say you are, but you have to be human, and have lived a normal life. Do try your best to play along. I will probably be an NPC in this myself (might even be part of the group if we're running short on melee characters.)

You sent your name in for some contest while you were at the mall one day. You probably didn't even remember doing it, but you did. Four months later, you received a glittering, gilded invitation telling you that you had won. After a bit more reading, you found out exactly what it is that you have won, and it turns out that you have won an all expenses paid trip to Los Angeles. Further proving that it is genuine, there is one plane ticket attached. You can tell whoever you want, but you can only go alone. The ticket is dated for tomorrow morning, and you have little time to choose. The instructions say to pack light as everything will be provided for you.

Alright Folks. That's the pitch for the game, now pitch your Selves. Give a short autobiography and then explain why your bio fits into a starting class and starting occupation from the basic d20 Modern starting occupations (this should be pretty basic, but

This may be handy for some of you: http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/modern/roarerbull/Home.php

If anyone else is willing or interested in DMing this, get in touch with me, otherwise I will run this myself.

Last edited:

Kerrz

First Post
Badump-bump.

On request, I have decided to put up my own bio to give folks an idea of how simple a thing I'm looking for:

I am a university student-athlete who has spent the last ten years with amateur wrestling, looking forward to a career in writing or editing. As such, I would be a Tough Hero with the starting occupation of Creative.

For those of us who are students on the verge of graduation, who know what career plan they have in mind, pretend that you've already graduated. If you're still a High-School student or planning to go through for a Graduate degree or something, you should take Student as your starting occupation.

Edit: Also, I will be trying to keep things as close to reality as possible, so if you know how much weight you can lift over your head, or what your IQ is, try to keep it in mind. If you need to know your IQ, there's a long and timed test at http://community.sparknotes.com/ and a shorter test at http://web.tickle.com/tests/uiq/?test=uiqogt
If you need to know how much you can lift over your head... try picking up something really heavy? I'm still trying to figure out ways to quantify the other abilities. I will probably just go with some form of point-buy system and hope that you folks are honest with yourselves. Remember, 10s are average, and if everyone around you is better at something, then you might be below that. Conversely, if you are better than most people, you might be a fair bit higher than that.

Last edited:

Festy_Dog

First Post
I'm a uni student majoring in psychology and aiming for a career as a federal detective. I'm thinking along the lines of Dedicated, with a starting occupation of Investigative.

Tyreus

First Post
Theres an ability test here: http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/terragf/ I'm sure it's not entirely accurate, but you might be able to use some of it.

I'm a high school student/athlete. I participate in football, basketball, and track and field. I'm not sure what to pursue career wise but I plan on going to college. I see myself as a fast hero with the athlete occupation.

Kerrz

First Post
Tyreus: Thanks, I'll check it out. Edit: Neat. 16/8/13/14/16/6 -> This basically says that I will beat you the hell up, and I know I should apologize for it, but I won't because I can't think of what to say.

khraven: I believe I posted the d20 Modern SRD in one of my above posts.

Here it is again:

http://www.wizards.com/?x=d20/article/msrd

Everyone is welcome. I will teach if I have to, but the SRD is fairly thorough (and anyone who reads and retains the whole thing will know a helluva lot more than me anyway.)

Last edited:

Tyreus

First Post
On that test I got: 16/16/16/13/17/16. I expected between 14-16 on the first three, but not the last three. I thought my intellegence would be a little higher and the rest lower. On the IQ test you posted I got low again with around 130, so maybe I'm just not as smart as I would like. :(

Kerrz

First Post
We'll see how things go.

By the way, an IQ of 130 is pretty good. You definitely won't have trouble getting your pick of colleges if you play your cards right.

Though I'm seriously considering making up my own test. I've only got a couple questions like this though:
How many drinks does it take to put you under the table?
a) 1-5
b) 6-10
c) 11-15
d) 16+
e) I don't drink because it kills brain cells
f) I don't drink because I haven't had the opportunity

The first two counting against your constitution, the next two counting towards it, the fifth counting towards your wisdom, and the sixth counting against your charisma.

The funny part about these tests is that I know the RIGHT answers, I just know they don't apply to me.

Then there's the fact that I took all those tests when I was under the influence of answer B above (the correct answer is D though...) and wasn't reading very clearly. Now I'm getting 16/12/13/17/16/10.

Sounds closer, but the intelligence is still skewed, because I know I'm smart, but I'm not that smart. Some of the questions in the quiz part are fairly dumb. Fidgeting alot means that you're intelligent? Enjoying physical activity means that you're intelligent?

One thing I've heard for intelligence is IQ/10=INT. It seems to hold. 18int->180iq is a bloody genius. They say folks like Einstein and Hawking and whatnot may be in the 200's. By level 20, if you start with 18 int, you can have a 23 int, and about a 230 IQ. Sounds proper. Roleplaying someone that smart might be a bit tricky... but that's another matter entirely.

Tyreus

First Post
Strength. Use these three exercises. Bench for upperbody, squat for lowerbody, with power clean for overall. I made up a point system to reflect strenght in different areas.

Strength score = pts
2 = -24
3 = -21
4 = -18
5 = -15
6 = -12
7 = -9
8 = -6
9 = -3
10 = 0
11 = 3
12 = 6
13 = 9
14 = 12
15 = 15
16 = 18
17 = 21
18 = 24

Bench press-
0-10= -8 pts
11-20= -7 pts
21-30= -6 pts
31-40= -5 pts
41-50= -4 pts
51-60= -3 pts
61-70= -2 pts
71-80= -1 pts
81-100= 0 pts
101-120= 1 pts
121-140= 2 pts
141-160= 3 pts
161-180= 4 pts
181-210= 5 pts
211-240= 6 pts
241-270= 7 pts
271-300= 8 pts

Squat-
0-20= -8 pts
21-40= -7 pts
41-60= -6 pts
61-70= -5 pts
71-80= -4 pts
81-100= -3 pts
101-120= -2 pts
121-150= -1 pts
151-200= 0 pts
201-225= 1 pts
226-275= 2 pts
276-300= 3 pts
301-350= 4 pts
351-400= 5 pts
401-500= 6 pts
501-650= 7 pts
651-800= 8 pts

Power clean-
0-10= -8 pts
11-15= -7 pts
16-20= -6 pts
21-30= -5 pts
31-40= -4 pts
41-50= -3 pts
51-60= -2 pts
61-70= -1 pts
71-80= 0 pts
81-100= 1 pts
101-110= 2 pts
111-120= 3 pts
121-130= 4 pts
131-150= 5 pts
151-170= 6 pts
171-200= 7 pts
201-230= 8 pts

Dexterity. Maybe a series of questions plus some numbers. This is a chart for how many seconds it takes to run 40 yds.

8.5-8.3= -8 pts
8.2-8.0= -7 pts
7.9-7.7= -6 pts
7.6-7.4= -5 pts
7.3-7.1= -4 pts
7.0-6.8= -3 pts
6.7-6.5= -2 pts
6.4-6.1= -1 pts
6.2-6.0= 0 pts
5.9-5.7= 2 pts
5.6-5.4= 3 pts
5.3-5.2= 4 pts
5.1-5.0= 5 pts
4.9-4.8= 6 pts
4.7-4.6= 7 pts
4.5-4.4= 8 pts

That's all I can think up performance wise for dexterity.

Constitution. Another one that requires questions. I can't think of a good chart since it has so many factors. Endurance, stamina, and energy are pretty key.

Intellegence. Go with IQ/10.

Wisdom. Again, questions.

Charisma. Buy some plane tickets and start meeting players. ;)

Try some of these ideas and maybe portions of the other test. If necessary , make questions up. Hope some of this helps you out.

Kerrz

First Post
Nah. I'm never gonna write the test, it's just interesting to think up questions.

Also, since speed is a static measurement in D&D, the 40 yard speed test can't be used for Dexterity, it's mostly power and explosiveness. You might be able to run a beep test, as that measures the ability to turn around quickly. Skipping rope would be good. But as I say, there's essentially two parts to Dexterity - Agility (for things like the Balance skill) and Coordination (for things like ranged attack rolls,) and you can be very agile without being able to work your coordination and vice versa.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases