Faerun vs. Faerûn

Faerun vs. Faerûn

Is there any significance to the ^ over the u in Faerûn? Is it supposed to be pronounced differently than Faerun would be? Or is it just an attempt to "look all fantasy" and all that?

Deadguy

First Post
I agree - I have always understood that the caret served to make the pronunciation fay-ROON, i.e. with a long U and with the stress on the second syllable. Certainly all the FR gamers I know pronounce it that way.

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
Deadguy said:
I agree - I have always understood that the caret served to make the pronunciation fay-ROON, i.e. with a long U and with the stress on the second syllable. Certainly all the FR gamers I know pronounce it that way.

Yeah, my son has the Forgotten Realms PS2 game Demon Stone and it's narrated by Patrick Stewart. In the game, Mr. Stewart pronounces it "fay-ROON."

I'm I the only one who would have pronounced Faerun that way already without the circumflex?

EDIT: By "that way" I mean FAYE-roon. Years ago, looking at it I would have pronounced it more like FIE-roon, but I've since re-adapted to American English standards a bit. :D

Last edited:

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
I'm I the only one who would have pronounced Faerun that way already without the circumflex?

I don't know - After Forgotten Realms came out, my friends and I pronounced it "fay-run." Finally, we were told to pronouce it the other way. Sometimes I still catch myself. Mostly I blame the education system in Idaho :)

Mean Eyed Cat said:
I don't know - After Forgotten Realms came out, my friends and I pronounced it "fay-run." Finally, we were told to pronouce it the other way. Sometimes I still catch myself. Mostly I blame the education system in Idaho :)
It's probably me having studied Spanish, Russian and a bit of German, not to mention linguistics. I tend to pronounce lots of words differently than most other Americans would anymore. It was really bad when I first came back from living in Argentina, but I've never lost the habit. Frankly, I don't want to.

But I wonder, especially with fantasy names, if I don't end up pronouncing things differently than the author intended or than most other readers would.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Hey there Joshua! Yeah, I'd say it is proper to say "Faye-Rune" as opposed to "Fay-Run".:) I have studied Latin, as well as reading so many works in proper English that it has even changed the way I spell words. I routinely spell armour and valour as such, instead of dropping the u for example. Strange, huh?:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Thanee

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:

When you speak it in german, it sounds pretty much like that, anyways. :)

Tho, the Fae sounds a little different to Fay then...

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases