An idea for a setting

DMH

First Post
I was rereading Occult Lore from Atlas and came up with a setting idea about a religous war. It really doesn't matter what the world looks like, what is important is, as of 150 years ago, the only people who can cast magic are shamans. They interated with the spirit realm ever since the spirits revealed themselves, many aeons ago. 150 years ago a shaman was talking to the reminant within a body via speak with dead. He knew that the enity he was speaking to wasn't a spirit so he decided to find out what it was exactly and thus the first gleaner was born (this is the class from OL).

Gleaners collect the bits of soul left after death and use them as a source of magical power. At first this didn't bother the shamans at all- no spirits were harmed. Then the gleaners found out how to give power to individual revents (which were renamed- sorry for the poor spelling, I don't have the book here) and caused them to change and grow (within a container called a reliquary. They were still less than spirits so the shamans still payed little attention.

Then, 50 years ago the first level 10 reliquary was broken in an accident. The now powerful spirit survived and is still growing in power. The spirit was, in life, a king that was all but worshipped after his death. And now this spirit is becoming the world's first god do to that adolation. Gleaners are now hunted, bodies burned and reliquaries destroyed. But the clerics and gleaners who want to create gods that will both give them power and provide a more stable source of safety for the masses (the spirits are very fickle).

So which side would you play on and why?

DMH

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
Are the spirits used as fuel in the casting process or is the relationship more symbiotic?

I would use The Shaman's Handbook as the primary source for that side, so no, they are not fuel.

I obviously also left off a lot of other questions- how do the masses and governments feel, how do the spirits and gods interact, etc. Those are questions for the DM.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
In that case I'd go with the spirits. The idea of a god being a super-mega spirit would kind of freak me out and I'd wonder how powerful the things can get and what their agenda is.

Yeah, I'm paranoid. If I were in D&D, I'd be a fantasy version of Fox Mulder.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I agree with BG the spirits are a known quantity anf you have a situation where the shaman has a choice of what spirit to call on and because there is (I assume) a plethora of spirits no single entity is going to get uber-power

with the god they are creating an unknown quantity of uber-power with no guarantee that the god is going to be benevolent

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases