Non Magical Weapon Properties

eris404

Explorer
Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get some help with an NPC I'm creating for a D&D game. He is a weaponsmith that specializes in bladed weapons (mostly daggers and short swords) and does not have any ability to enhance weapons magically. I wanted to portray this NPC as a master and make his weapons a little more unusual in some way. I'm looking for suggestions for special materials, weapon abilities, physical attributes or appearance and enhancements that would reflect his skill and make his weapons instantly recognizable. I know there have been new materials introduced in a lot of different d20 books, so if you have any favorites that have been published, point me in the right direction. The enhancements don't have to have major or take the place of magical ones, just something a little extra.

Thanks!

gamecat

Explorer
Little tweaks to the weapons might work - a dagger so well balanced it's throwing increment is raised to 15 feet, or a short sword that's such a jagged wicked little bastard that it has a 19-20/x3 crit...

DanMcS

Explorer
I wouldn't call improving the crit range of a weapon a little tweak; that's the rough equivalent of putting the keen enchantment on, actually.

Possible weapon improvements:
masterwork: +1 enhancement bonus to-hit, costs +300 gp (from the rules)
hardened: +1 hardness
tempered: +2 hit points
well-balanced: add 5' to the range increment of a thrown weapon
composite: add 10' to the range increment of a projectile weapon
mighty: as mighty bows, add a strength bonus to damage with the projectile weapon

weirder ones:
barbed/jagged/heavy/extra-double-bad@$$: add +1 enhancement bonus to damage with the weapon. Probably +300gp or so
oversized: deals damage as though it were one size larger; you take a -2 to-hit, but it's not considered the wrong size, really. Basically gives the monkey grip feat for free; should be really expensive, 1000 to 5000 gps. An oversized longsword would deal 2d6 damage.

Sir Brennen

Legend
The Heroes of High Favor series by BadAxe Games, particularly the Dwarf and Elf books, have several "masterwork components" that can be added to weapons and armor that differ from the standard masterwork properties listed in the PHB.

The Dwarf book in particular has interesting rules on Maker's Marks, which are great flavor.

"That really was a Hattori Hanzo sword..."

Interestingly, the Half-Orc book has rules on crafting shoddy weapons :)

Also, Arcana Unearthed by Monte Cook has a "Dire" property that a craftsperson can add when creating weapons, for those nasty spiked, hooked and/or jagged impractically oversized weapons that always appear in fantasy illustrations ;)

Last edited:

eris404

Explorer
DanMcS - I like those suggestions a lot - that's about what I was looking for really, nothing too earth-shattering, just a neat little something extra.

Sir Brennen - I forgot about the HoHF books! I know the one for dwarves is available as a PDF, so I'll have to rummage around for that.

Thanks!

Edit - Are there any PDFs that discuss this topic? It seems like something Phil Reed would write about....

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
DanMcS said:
I wouldn't call improving the crit range of a weapon a little tweak; that's the rough equivalent of putting the keen enchantment on, actually.

Possible weapon improvements:
masterwork: +1 enhancement bonus to-hit, costs +300 gp (from the rules)
hardened: +1 hardness
tempered: +2 hit points
well-balanced: add 5' to the range increment of a thrown weapon
composite: add 10' to the range increment of a projectile weapon
mighty: as mighty bows, add a strength bonus to damage with the projectile weapon

weirder ones:
barbed/jagged/heavy/extra-double-bad@$$: add +1 enhancement bonus to damage with the weapon. Probably +300gp or so
oversized: deals damage as though it were one size larger; you take a -2 to-hit, but it's not considered the wrong size, really. Basically gives the monkey grip feat for free; should be really expensive, 1000 to 5000 gps. An oversized longsword would deal 2d6 damage.

These are good (yoink)

I'd also allow a non-magical 'Keen' enhancement (its the famous mushimasa (sp) sword forging technique) but increase the price markedly (ie treat as a +1 enchantment but with no magic)

I wonder if making a Vorpal weapon (keen and weighted and extra-double-bad@$$) would be acceptable sans magic

eris404

Explorer
Tonguez said:
I'd also allow a non-magical 'Keen' enhancement (its the famous mushimasa (sp) sword forging technique) but increase the price markedly (ie treat as a +1 enchantment but with no magic)

I wonder if making a Vorpal weapon (keen and weighted and extra-double-bad@$$) would be acceptable sans magic

I keep waffling on whether or not to do this (adding "magical" enhancements to nonmagical weapons that is). On the one hand, it's not that there is anything inherently magical about the keen enhancement (say, in comparison to the flaming or ghost touch properties, for example). And, when you get down to it, it's a lot of money to spend on a non-magic weapon, really; 2000gp for keen, 300gp for masterwork + the normal cost of the weapon. Does that seem balanced to you folks? Is there any reason not to do something like this?

Sravoff

First Post
LINK

The above link is to Weapons as Special effects. There are many properties that can be used in forging above master work weapons. Though some are quite magical in nature. You can go and read through it and figure out the changes as they happen or download the pdf file.

Luck to You

-Sravoff

Felnar

First Post
have it take a lot of crafting skill to make non-magical equivalents

and have a crafted mod that gives +1 dmg on sunders

has anyone seen rules for things like basket hilts?

eris404

Explorer
Felnar said:
have it take a lot of crafting skill to make non-magical equivalents and have a crafted mod that gives +1 dmg on sunders

has anyone seen rules for things like basket hilts?

Hmmm...the sunder thing might be neat. What's the exact details?

errr...what's a basket hilt and what's the purpose/advantage behind it?

Remove ads